Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which hotel would you choose for a free night? - More expensive or higher category?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel would you choose for a free night? - More expensive or higher category?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
NO! He absolutely didn't!! As the OP, am I allowed to be frustrated at all of you despite being a noob?

Why is Zeeb the only one who attempted to answer my question? I thought if I said, "IN GENERAL", you'd get the picture, but let me re-spell out my question.

Assume you have 2 hotels, that are located in the same city. They each have their pros and cons, whether that is breakfast or upgradeability or free parking or proximity to public transport or whatever. You've weighed your pros and cons based on your preferences, and they still come out even. You've never been to this city before, so you do searches online. Everyone, similarly, is torn about which one is better.

NOW! You look it up and one is a higher category and the other is higher priced. Assuming you have considered them EVEN based on the research you could do, which one do you choose?
Nobody answered the question because it is a trick question. Chevy didn't make a 327 in '55, the 327 didn't come out till '62. And it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a four-barrel carb till '64. However, in 1964, the correct ignition timing would be four degrees before top-dead-center. Oh, wait. That wasn't the trick question you asked.

Since I would never choose a hotel on these two criteria, I cannot answer it and I doubt others would, too. I have given you reasons why price alone cannot be a determiner and category as well. I thought that you asked this question out of a specific need to choose between two hotels and gave you an answer which I thought might help you move forward in this decision. I didn't think you were taking a survey. I dislike surveys because they often ask you to ignore extraneous data from their question but that isn't the way the world works.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Assume you have 2 hotels, that are located in the same city. They each have their pros and cons, whether that is breakfast or upgradeability or free parking or proximity to public transport or whatever. You've weighed your pros and cons based on your preferences, and they still come out even. You've never been to this city before, so you do searches online. Everyone, similarly, is torn about which one is better.

NOW! You look it up and one is a higher category and the other is higher priced. Assuming you have considered them EVEN based on the research you could do, which one do you choose?
Okay, so you're asking one of those "all else equal..." questions. Which is exactly what I thought you were asking, BTW, when I joined in rejecting the premise implicit in the question. And that's because, in general, it's almost never "all else equal". There is virtually always something to distinguish one hotel from another on its merits. It's location, or room size, or how appealing the rooms look in pictures, or how appealing the hotel exterior or pool or exercise room looks in pictures, or whether the hotel has interesting restaurants onsite, or what the elite benefits are, or how positive the reviews on TripAdvisor/Yelp/FT are, or... something. If you've truly considered all of the above and still can't find a difference worth caring about, just flip a coin and stop worrying about whether you've made the right choice.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:19 pm

I would take the higher priced hotel as I would assume it is better. Who cares if it has conference rooms attached to the hotel for the extra half star!?!
Old May 23, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by rbarzill
I would take the higher priced hotel as I would assume it is better. Who cares if it has conference rooms attached to the hotel for the extra half star!?!
As I pointed out above, that would be a flawed assumption. Price is determined by demand not quality and demand can be determined by many things other than the intrinsic quality of the hotel.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

I still don't understand why you would want to choose based to these criteria? What are you trying to get at?
Old May 23, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

category is literally based on average price over course of year
Old May 23, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would choose the hotel I consider to be better. Price, whether in points or cash, is completely irrelevant in that case.
++ this, though Mr.Ego wants an expensive hotel so you can brag that you got that night for free hehe
Old May 23, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if maximizing free night certificates, like via credit card, that do not have a category value, then the maximum possible "value" is the most expensive propert(ies) in the highest category

but that didnt seem to be what OP was talking about
Old May 24, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I still don't understand why you would want to choose based to these criteria? What are you trying to get at?
Because this is a message board and not every question has to be totally logical? Plus there are definitely occasions where someone might be in a situation somewhat like this, going to an unfamiliar city and there are two hotels at different redemption levels/prices with similar reviews. It is a perfectly valid question.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maybe im wrong about other companies being like starwood and setting category based on average daily rate?

but starwood does. so higher category means the property has a higher average price over the course of the year. meaning that the lower category with the higher price for that day is an 'unusual' day and it is usually less expensive. thats why OP is confusing.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Somewhat of a "how long is a piece of string?" question because for me, the location is going to matter more than most things.

However, when I redeem points I want it to be for something I wouldn't pay for. So I would like it to be a Conrad or something of that ilk, similar to the concept of redeeming miles for expensive F flights.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Because this is a message board and not every question has to be totally logical? Plus there are definitely occasions where someone might be in a situation somewhat like this, going to an unfamiliar city and there are two hotels at different redemption levels/prices with similar reviews. It is a perfectly valid question.
I'd still like to know why the question is being asked.

It's a bit like asking: "If you were to be sentenced to be shot by firing squad, would you prefer to be executed by soldiers who pulled the trigger with their left or right index finger? Explain and justify."
Old May 25, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It's a bit like asking: "If you were to be sentenced to be shot by firing squad, would you prefer to be executed by soldiers who pulled the trigger with their left or right index finger? Explain and justify."
Even that doesn't have a simple, neat answer. It depends on whether the soldiers are firing with their dominant fingers and whether the rifles are left- or right-handed designs. ...To name just two factors that immediately sprang to mind.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:18 am
Suspended

I believe the horse is truly dead.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
category is literally based on average price over course of year
In at least one of the programs, there's also a component of award demand. (This may be there in all of them for all I know...but I know one of the official lurkers here has acknowledged it for one...Starwood perhaps?)

I assume this is how Orlando ends up with lots of high categories, even though it's a relatively easy town to find an inexpensive room in outside of a few max-peak periods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.