Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Between two airlines (Jet and Etihad) which is responsible for misconnect delay?

Between two airlines (Jet and Etihad) which is responsible for misconnect delay?

Old May 21, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

My grandmother was travelling from AMD to LHR via ABU last month. The flight was booked with Etihad but a codeshare run by Jet apparently. For some reason the flight landed late so my grandmother missed the connecting flight and had to wait 24 hours.

She is in her late 80's and was alone so it was quite distressing for her. I was wondering who to complain to as Etihad seem to be passing the buck on to Jet. I think when I contact Jet they will say to contact Etihad as it's them who was paid for the fare.

Who should be taking the blame?

Thanks.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Whose fault is this?

What was the reason for the delay?
Old May 21, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

I emailed Etihad and they said "It appears to be a flight delay on Jet Airways and then too short connection to connect with onward Etihad flight."

So they haven't really said.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Delivering carrier is responsible for fixing a mess if a connection is blown. In this case Jet would be responsible, even though it was sold as a Etihad coded flight. That doesn't mean that Etihad couldn't fix it and being at their hub in AUH odds are likely that would get a better solution, but technically Jet was on the hook.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Fault doesn't really matter here. It was the delivering carrier's responsibility to rebook her. They apparently did. It was simply a 24-hour delay. So, the question is, why a 24-hour delay? Were there other carriers, was there availability on those carriers? Did the grandmother have travel docs for the other routings?

Bottom line is that the rebook may have been what there was or it may have represented poor service, but no "fault".
Old May 21, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dips
I emailed Etihad and they said "It appears to be a flight delay on Jet Airways and then too short connection to connect with onward Etihad flight."

So they haven't really said.
How was the ticket booked: through Etihad directly, travel agent, on line service such as Expedia or Travelocity, etc.? Also, did the ticket violate MCT? The phrase "then too short connection to connect...." is making me wonder.
Old May 21, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How was the ticket booked: through Etihad directly, travel agent, on line service such as Expedia or Travelocity, etc.? Also, did the ticket violate MCT? The phrase "then too short connection to connect...." is making me wonder.
I think it was an issue that with the initial flight delay the connection became too short and the passenger missed the flight, not that the originally booked flights violated the MCT.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Via a travel agent, I believe.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Is there any use pursuing this? My main issue is my grandma having to wait in one of their lounges overnight as Etihad said the hotel they provide was fully booked. At her age it was a terrible ordeal.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question is whether she should pursue it, not you. Carriers will only deal with the passenger.

There are still details missing. Yes, it is unfortunate that the delay was 24 hours and yes, it is unfortunate that the hotel was full. But, what was the alternative? Was this poor service or was it simply the best that could be done under the circumstances?

Water under the bridge for you, but it really pays to make sure that when elderly relatives are traveling and you believe that they might not assert themselves for them to have a mobile phone with your #'s pre-programmed. It can be for emergencies only, but you are better equipped to deal with this and make sure that your relative gets the best that can be had under the circumstances.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Often1
The question is whether she should pursue it, not you. Carriers will only deal with the passenger.

There are still details missing. Yes, it is unfortunate that the delay was 24 hours and yes, it is unfortunate that the hotel was full. But, what was the alternative? Was this poor service or was it simply the best that could be done under the circumstances?

Water under the bridge for you, but it really pays to make sure that when elderly relatives are traveling and you believe that they might not assert themselves for them to have a mobile phone with your #'s pre-programmed. It can be for emergencies only, but you are better equipped to deal with this and make sure that your relative gets the best that can be had under the circumstances.
Good suggestion.
An AMD originating flight would have a majority of Indian for pax. I assume grandma is Indian.
1. The practice of finding someone traveling same ITN is found and requested to assist.
2. She should carry a card written out in mother tongue and English of common phrases including grand kids phone numbers. Instructions to airline staff as to what kind of help she may need. used to do this for my elders pre cell phone days !
3. Track the flights, anticipate problems and try proactive calls to airline, preferably airport station phone numbers.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dips
Via a travel agent, I believe.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Is there any use pursuing this? My main issue is my grandma having to wait in one of their lounges overnight as Etihad said the hotel they provide was fully booked. At her age it was a terrible ordeal.
IMO "the hotel they provide" is irrelevant. If it's overbooked they should have found her another one.

I don't know that you have a legal claim and can force compensation. But I'd certainly push with them hoping for at least some customer courtesy compensation.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:28 am

The operating carrier is responsible - in this case Jet. Do not deal with anyone else (travel agent, etihad). Decide on what would be proper compensation if anything (travel voucher, money, miles) and ask for it in writing. It would be good to understand and outline the alternatives they could have offered (e.g. rebooking on another airline, hotel outside of the terminal) as a 24 hour delay to London seems unnecessary when connecting at AUH (there are 3 EY flights a day).
Old May 24, 2015, 7:54 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Dear Dips,

Sorry to hear this disruption to your mums flight, please sent this experience with the booking reference to [email protected] and we will take a look at this for you.

regards *GW
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Hi EtihadHelp - I emailed you prior to my original post at that email address and they were pinning the blame on Jet.

This is the reply I got back from Jet:

"I wish to inform you, that the flight to Abu Dhabi was diverted to Al Ain Airport due to the poor visibility condition at Abu Dhabi Airport. As you are well aware airlines schedules get disrupted with delays /diversions/ cancellation on account of heavy fog and poor visibility conditions. Weather related flight disruption is beyond the control of the airline and uncertainty in weather improvement affects our decisions and flight schedules. Also such delays result in air traffic congestion and hence flight departures and arrivals completely depend upon the clearances given by the Air Traffic Controllers and the weather report given by the meteorological department. Hence the flight cancellation / rescheduling decisions for factors beyond our control are always taken on a real time basis and never in advance.

On arrival in Abu Dhabi, guest with onward connections were accommodated on the next available flights. I wish to inform you that the guests were provided lounge access and served meals and staff was available at all times for any assistance required by the guests."

Worth pursuing?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:34 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Hi There, could you please DM us your feedback? We will look into it for you. Thank you! *ZD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.