Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Business/First Class Bed - Which carriers are they made on?

Old May 22, 2015, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coiaflyer
Carriers in Business that make beds:
  • NZ
  • EK
  • EY
  • QR

Carriers in Business that don't (or not offered):
  • DL
  • CX
  • SQ
  • TG
  • NH
  • LH
  • LX
  • UA

Carriers in First that make beds:
  • CX
  • EK
  • SQ
  • NH
  • TG
  • OZ
  • LH
  • LX
  • QF
  • BA
  • AA
  • MH
  • EY
  • QR

Carriers in First that don't (or not offered):
  • AS
  • DL
Print Wikipost

Old May 21, 2015, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Hi all. This may sound like a silly question but its something I've always wondered about. If you are flying business class and want to sleep, does the airhostess make up the bed for you or do you just recline your bed and go to sleep. Once I simply reclined and went to sleep and when I got up I saw that others around me had mattresses laid out on their seats to sleep on. Another time I asked for the mattress and was told there are no mattresses. I was just wondering about this and any other tips on business class etiquette would also be welcome
Old May 21, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Business Class bed

it depends on the airline.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT, megagarwal!

It does indeed depend on the airline, though making up a bed with mattress covers and duvet etc is generally not found in a business class cabin, usually only in first class. I often make a mattress out of one of the airline blankets folded three-ways, as you would a letter.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Which Airlines are you flying with? Some are better than others for this.

QF will make the bed for you in J, although a lot of people tend to do this themselves rather than wait or ask. BA on the other hand don't have mattresses in J, so the blanket trick works well.

QF F they are very proactive and will make sure you have the bed made properly while in EK F I have had them both be proactive and make it for me as soon as they see me move, but have also had them not offer at all.

Really does depend on the airline, and sometimes the day of the week and weather that day and what they had for lunch if you see what I mean
Old May 21, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
IME, an FA has made my bed in QR business class & VA business class.

But, as said earlier, most business classes provide blankets & pillows...not so much a true bed.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are a few airlines where one must flip over the seat instead of just reclining as far as possible to make a flat bed. Some SQ aircraft are an example of the flip it over technology. IME on SQ in FC, if get up after dinner, for example to use the lavatory or even just to stretch, a FA will appear and ask if I'd like to have the bed made up now.

I also often follow the trick of using the duvet/quilt/blanket as a mattress pad. If the cabin is empty, you can often get an extra duvet/quilt/blanket for this purpose.
Old May 21, 2015, 4:57 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Etihad FAs do this in both First and Business class. They have "mattress pads" to put on their lay-flat seats. The pad in First is thicker than the one in business. They also give out "lounging suits" (aka pajamas).
Old May 21, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP, before the Political Correctness Ploice unload on you, air hostesses of yesteryears are now called Flight Attendants, Cabin Crew etc.
And a belated welcome to FT.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:08 pm

Air NZ makes up the bed.
KE didn't.
I hope SQ does on A380.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HMPS
OP, before the Political Correctness Ploice unload on you, air hostesses of yesteryears are now called Flight Attendants, Cabin Crew etc.
And a belated welcome to FT.
Those Ploice definitely bear watching out for! "Cheese it, the carps!" My fregnis can too.

The men particularly hate being called hostesses...

We should start a "who does - who doesn't" here.

AA, BA, CX, FJ, IB, JL, TN, QF, US don't.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Business Class bed

I still like steward and stewardess.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk megagarwal

This is a fun thread- just made up a wiki for both Biz and First and we'll move this for greater exposure into Travel Buzz. Please post your experiences and help update the wiki.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 22, 2015, 2:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Most of the Asian carriers I have been on First usually makes the beds. I would be interested to know any Business Class where turndown service is offered (ie. beds made for passengers). Even SQ and CX does not offer this service to passengers and they are considered one of the finer carriers! DL and AC offer Business Class as the highest cabin category so I think AS and DL "domestic first" should be excluded from the list.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Definitely have had my bed made up for me on SQ in business on the A380
Old May 22, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
UA GlobalFirst will make up the bed with a mattress pad if you ask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.