Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Sleep" in the terminal vs hotel for a few hours? WWYD

"Sleep" in the terminal vs hotel for a few hours? WWYD

Old May 20, 2015, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Normally I would say a hotel. But here was our situation a couple of years ago. Flying london to Raleigh and Raleigh to Chicago in January . We knew the weather was bad in Chicago and asked to be put on the nonstop in lhr but no go. Arrived in Raleigh, went through immigration, collected luggage and find out our flight to Ohare is cancelled and we are being routed to DCA. Fly to DC. Freak winter storm there and they try de icing until about 1 am and cancel the flight. Have to retrieve luggage and there is no vouchers for anything re Book us..there are 4 of us..on a 545 am flight to ORD. It's 2 am and we look at each other and decide we are too tired to find a hotel make the transfer and return in 3 hours. It's pretty cold in the airport, but we find the travelres aid rest area door is open and there are four seats we can use. Another couple joins us an hour later. Not much sleep, and I would not want to repeat the experience, but we have a good remember this conversation with our friends when we think about that night. I would not intentionally choose the airport over a hotel ..breakeven is probably more than 5 hours ..it's a horel
A six-some?
Old May 20, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
More like a six pack.. than a six some. No pillows either so no pillow talk.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Unless the hotel is in the airport, like Orlando and others, would have, and have gone with your choice. Almost always just have a carry-on for last minute changes, but also always bring a light jacket since airplanes, and terminals run cold.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I now travel with a small travel pillow which can be rolled up and hooked onto a backpack. Works for onmor off the plane. Agree with the jacket ..doesn't matter the season.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd have stayed at the airport. On a couple of occasions I've gone to the airport and slept there even though my normally scheduled flight wasn't until the morning - though this is always personal dime/leisure travel when I'm by myself. I just know that I don't sleep well with a super early alarm and would rather save the money than get a crappy nights sleep.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:24 pm

I've done both. The last time I chose the hotel because it was only a 10 minute cab ride from MSP and Delta was picking up both tabs. By the time I got checked into the hotel I got about 4 hours of sleep before taking the shuttle back. It was worth going to the hotel to have a real bed and clean bathroom. The option for a shower was nice but the extra 45 minutes of sleep was worth more to me since I only had a 45 minute flight home.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
I do have a couple of generic travel apps on my phone....Orbitz, Tripadvisor, Booking.com, etc. I also have all of my usual branded apps...Marriott, SPG, HHonors, etc. My first step would have been a brief hotel search.
The only problem is that many of those apps seem to choke if you're trying to use them after midnight local time- it's 1:00am on, say, 1 June, and they want you to book you for the time period the evening of 1 June- morning of 2 June instead of the 31 May-1 June overnight you're actually trying to find.

And sometimes if a hotel has space available when others around it are full for the night, there is a good reason for it. I'd rather spend the night on the floor in ATL than make another trip to the Atlanta Pimp Hotel- working girls in the parking lot at night, pimp fight in same parking lot during the morning when we were waiting for the shuttle back to the airport.

ATL is far safer than that.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:48 pm

I've been in the same situation at JFK. To be fair, there was a snowstorm and I was on a charter flight, and I was in my 20's, so I opted for the horrible, hard, floor. Now in my 50's I would try for a hotel. I can't sleep in airplanes and I certainly can't sleep on a hard floor and I don't want to be washing my hair in the bathroom sink like a did all those years ago!

If you call one local hotel and they are full, hopefully you will get a helpful desk person and he or she will help you find an opening somewhere. Or maybe you could ask to stay in the fancy airport lounge. Or leave later the next day (brilliant idea!) IF you know you have a hotel room.

I wouldn't trust that the gate agents would know about the hotels when they seemed to not even know about the flight.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:54 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
In these instances, I still opt for the hotel over the terminal. Even if its only for a few hours, the hotel at least gets me access to a shower/bath, private toilet, and quiet, comfortable space. And, even one or two hours of sleep in a nice clean bed is better than getting ragged on a terminal bench after many hours of waiting and getting frustrated in an airport.

In these instances I try to go for an in-terminal or terminal-connected hotel as opposed to one which requires a 10-15min shuttle ride, but of course these are not always available.

For especially long trips with one or more layovers, I usually plan ahead and research the nearest, best hotel to the transit airport so that I know where to go immediately in the event of an overnight delay. ie. Fairmont Vancouver Airport in Vancouver or Marriott Manila at Manila. I'm heading out to Africa soon and transiting in JNB and have already planned for the Intercontinental at JNB as my 'emergency' hotel in the event of a trip interruption in transit.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Traveling alone, I would have stayed in the terminal as well and figured out where to rest. If with someone reliable, (i.e. my wife,) probably would have taken an airport hotel (actually on the airport grounds or just off) and set a bajillion alarms. This way, I could actually sleep a bit and maybe shower.

If the timing of the flight wasn't urgent, I too would've asked for a later flight and done the hotel route, even if alone.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Silver 2014), AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
I almost always opt for the terminal since the hotel will not be onsite or just across the road from the airport. The time to commute, prepare, etc. often leaves no time for any reasonable amount of sleep unless inclement weather means a prolonged interruption ...

First flight out next morning after last flight of the evening cancelled is often my situation.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by garydpdx
I almost always opt for the terminal since the hotel will not be onsite or just across the road from the airport. The time to commute, prepare, etc. often leaves no time for any reasonable amount of sleep...
I feel the same way. The futzing around with booking, waiting for a shuttle, packing and unpacking, etc. seem to me to be more troublesome than just sacking out at the gate.

Last month I had a short stay at an SFO hotel -- the incoming flight landed around midnight, and I had to be in the city at 630am, so I had a short rest ahead of me no matter what. Then the shuttle ran late and I stood outside in the chill for 45 minutes, and started to feel pretty stupid about making all this effort to lie down for about three hours.

I have an overnight layover by design at ORD in a couple of months -- arriving around 1100pm, departing at 600am -- and have already decided to just hit the terminal floor.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Good topic. I think you made the right decision, but of course it will vary for everyone based on age and other factors.

I wonder what everyone's cutoff would be for deciding to stay in the terminal. The situation in the OP seems like a clear case of staying put. If I had 6+ hours like BearX220's future flight, I would opt for the hotel.

For me, the cutoff would be 4 hours. Any less--I stay in terminal.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
I had the same general scenario at JFK with Delta this past March. Only my flight was cxld for weather (wind - details below). I was coming back from LA with a friend and he and I opted for the terminal. It stinks "sleeping" in a terminal, but it's the most simple option. This is especially true if lots of people are trying to find hotels. I've heard some horror stories about some of the hotels around JFK.

I complained to Delta because that same JFK-PIT flight had been cxld the two previous days for exactly the same reason. I argued that they should have called us (different PNRs) and tried to reroute us through ATL or MSP rather than knowing that there was a potential mess waiting for us at JFK. They ended up throwing a decent amount of points at us, but it was really annoying.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:41 am

There are few things that can make things better in such situations: eye mask, noise canceling earphones, a travel pillow and a throw, and a yoga mat. While yoga mat would most likely go into checked baggage, all other items can be placed in a carry-on. Access to lounges (especially the ones with shower facilities), if available, is also beneficial. Basically, with all those items it's possible to spend a night at the airport in relatively comfy atmosphere with lights and noise blocked-out, without freezing and having a terrible neck or back pain + lounges with shower facilities and breakfast can restore energy in the morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.