Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Armchair CEO - Where would you build a hub?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent

Let's say you were building a new airline. You could place your hub at any airport other than London, New York or Tokyo. Where would you build it and why?
Old May 19, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Singapore. From there, access non-stop to anywhere in Asia, Europe, Australia or the Middle East. And to the US West Coast with the right planes.

Seoul. Non-stop to US and anywhere in Asia.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:40 pm
Suspended

FLL (Fort Lauderdale) - Gateway to the Miami area, and to the Caribbean/Central/South America. Large airport with land to grow, unlike Miami International Airport which can't really expand due to being land locked.

HNL (Honolulu) - Tourist destination, plus gateway to Oceania and Asia.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Where would you build it and why?
Dubai.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Let's say you were building a new airline. You could place your hub at any airport other than London, New York or Tokyo. Where would you build it and why?
You need to provide a qualifier here. Are you talking about total armchair CEO fantasyland, or does one take into account the existing competitive landscape at whichever airport one picks? The former is a pretty pointless exercise; the latter would be a more commercially and strategically interesting question...
Old May 20, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Singapore. From there, access non-stop to anywhere in Asia, Europe, Australia or the Middle East. And to the US West Coast with the right planes.
But if you are using the above principles to select a location, why go for a second-tier option when you can go for, for example...

Originally Posted by shuigao
Dubai.
From there, access non-stop to basically almost anywhere in Asia, Europe, Australia, the Middle East, Africa, North America and South America.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd build it in an area close to my bankers where I could raise capital to fund my airline and salary. Then stash my $20 mil a year for 4 years until I "resign". So I guess NY, HK or London would work for me.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Too much travel
But if you are using the above principles to select a location, why go for a second-tier option when you can go for, for example...

From there, access non-stop to basically almost anywhere in Asia, Europe, Australia, the Middle East, Africa, North America and South America.
The idea of a hub is that all the other airports are at the end of spokes. You don't go directly from one spoke airport to another. You go through the hub.

Jakarta to Bangkok via Singapore is about 3 hours in the air. Through Dubai it's 15 or more. Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur? Tokyo to Bali? Seoul to Perth? Can you get from Dubai to Sydney non-stop?

Europe is a dead destination in my mind. Not that it's actually dead but that it's not growing and not particularly profitable. Asia is where the growth and the future lies so that's where I'd want to maximize the efficiency of my hub.

With a hub in Singapore you can block an area from Seoul to Sydney to Dubai and get anywhere non-stop. And that's the area I'd want to service with my hub.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:43 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I wouldn't build a hub. Hub-and-spoke operations are complex and expensive, and I wouldn't start up an airline that way. I'd start off with some lucrative point-to-point flights on new, efficient aircraft with quick turnarounds and a low cost base, and build from there, with 'focus cities' rather than hubs as the airline grows. Only if the airline reached a certain size, or a long-haul aspect, would I consider moving to a hub-and-spoke model.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:07 am

A brand new airport in a quiet rural area of southeast Asia where land is cheap. Preferably it would be in a country where the existing major airports are dysfunctional and an impediment to growth, and where improving them is impossible. The Philippines would be perfect if the problems of low quality government can be overcome. Competing with Manila Airport as a transfer hub shouldn't be too hard.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Johannesburg, just for the hell of it. With a fleet of 787 and A350 for long haul routes and 737Max for regional.

I used to play Airline Empires when I had more time on my hands and always enjoyed going on the top 10 leaderboard with my JNB hub.

In all truth, it would never be a world leader with real people, Perth to Rio sure, but how big are those markets really? Even though Africa is a very rapidly expanding market, JNB is too far south to take advantage of it from most points in the world. I think Ethiopian is very well poised right now to dominate that growth since they can both grow the intercontinental routes and also have ADD as a fairly well positioned hub for much of the intra-Africa travel.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Johannesburg, just for the hell of it. With a fleet of 787 and A350 for long haul routes and 737Max for regional.

I used to play Airline Empires when I had more time on my hands and always enjoyed going on the top 10 leaderboard with my JNB hub.

In all truth, it would never be a world leader with real people, Perth to Rio sure, but how big are those markets really? Even though Africa is a very rapidly expanding market, JNB is too far south to take advantage of it from most points in the world. I think Ethiopian is very well poised right now to dominate that growth since they can both grow the intercontinental routes and also have ADD as a fairly well positioned hub for much of the intra-Africa travel.
That game is fun but does get repetitive after a while. Would be awesome if demand fluctuated. I always tried to hub in medium sized markets like IND, TPA, etc for domestic service.

In the real world I wouldn't build a hub but focus on p2p flying as I believe it is severely lacking for medium sized markets. I find the new airline, OneJet model to be very interesting and would try something similar.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
What about weather? Does that play any role? While I see there being a lot of growth potential in Asia, I also worry about how all those storms might affect schedules.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Undeveloped, with high potential and right position India could be an honest candidate.
Hoping your question doesn't delve too much into governments efficiency.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K

Just download Pocket Planes from the App Store and build your own airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.