Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Booking hidden city connection with another airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Do other airlines know if you're booking a hidden city flight, getting off at the layover city, and taking another airline's flight to your final destination?

For example: I want to get from Kansas City to Minneapolis. I book an American trip (Kansas City --> Chicago --> Atlanta). I get off at Chicago without taking the last leg. Then I purchase a separate flight on Delta (Chicago --> Minneapolis).

Would this work?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 19, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
So on paper - there is nothing preventing you from getting 'ill' during connection in CHICAGO, avoid affecting other passengers on next segment and finding your own transportation onwards.

Things to be cautious of if you plan illness during connection city preventing remaining segment.
A. If you checked bags they will continue without you to destination (this includes if you are last boarding aircraft and they run out of overhead space and gate check your bag)
B. If delays or irrop airline may decide to change your connection city or flight times which prevent arrival in ORD
C. You have no recourse if you don't make your DL segment as a no-show is a no-show vs. single ticket which is responsibility of airline to get to your destination even if weather related.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You aren't required to fly anything you don't want to fly and don't have to degrade yourself by lying. The only issue is the fare.

The second carrier won't know or care whether you live in Chicago and are originating there or live at the North Pole.

Your greater risk is that in IROPS, your original carrier will reroute you MCI-ATL through other routings and you will no show for your DL flight xORD. If you no show for that DL flight, because of a late arrival or because you are sitting in ATL, DL will cancel that xORD ticket and it will retain whatever value it has under the fare rules, which could be somewhere from $0 to its full value.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Very helpful, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.