Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping in foreign countries

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I may, on very very rare occasions, leave a tip at the end of the evening but certainly not each and every round in any case. And most people are not expecting it anyway. At least where I drink !
Old May 23, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cbn42
I think this is pretty much true. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the US is also the only country where there are "tip credits", meaning that tipped employees can be paid less than minimum wage, provided that their tips bring them up to the minimum. Most US states have this system, but I've never heard of it anywhere else.
Depends on the state. California and about seven or eight other states ban paying tipped employees less than minimum wage now. But for the most part, yes.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Christopher
One thing I would say: people in few countries, if any, are as worked up about tipping as people in the US seem to be. People in most places adopt much more of a "take it as it comes" approach than people in the US do. I for example have tipped Singapore taxi drivers (is that not done?), and the country hasn't collapsed.

Another odd thing I have noticed about some Americans: when they ask a local person what the appropriate approach is to tipping in a particular situation, if the answer they get indicates something different from what they would do in the US, then they don't believe the answer. This obviously doesn't apply to all Americans, but I've seen on a number of occasions and it has always struck me as odd - if you're not going to believe the answer why ask the question?
I tend to tip everywhere coz it has kind of become second nature to us. When we ask someone about tipping, what we are really asking is if we need to tip more than what we are used to.

I hate to admit that tipping is such a critical part of our life here that everytime I am trying to come up with a number to scribble on that tip line on a receipt, I am essentially worried about tipping too little.

I also understand whatever I said may not make sense to many people but this is a cold fact.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sedubby
How do you figure what to tip (if at all), who to tip, and how much when traveling abroad? Is it something you actually take the time to research or just kind of figure out on the fly?

It isn't something I even think about before I go abroad, but have made a few embarrassing mistakes over the years (i.e. trying to tip a taxi driver in Singapore). Still something I am often confused about (esp. in global hotel brands abroad).
I live in Singapore and take taxis often, I always round up the fare - it is never expected but always appreciated, definitely not 'embarassing'. I don't like the US tipping culture though and I don't respond well when it is expected....
Old May 23, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cbn42
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the US is also the only country where there are "tip credits", meaning that tipped employees can be paid less than minimum wage, provided that their tips bring them up to the minimum. Most US states have this system, but I've never heard of it anywhere else.
In Canada, Quebec a lower cash wage rate for employees who regularly receive tips and a few other provinces have lower minimums specifically for employees who regularly serve booze to customers.

Tipping wasn't practiced in the US, historically. It began to take very limited root in the latter half of the 19th century, when the concept was copied from Europe (where it originated, most likely in England circa 16th century or so). Tipping still wasn't very popular with most people though and some states even passed laws banning tips during the early 20th century. It only really took off sometime around the 1920s or 1930s.

In any case, to the OP's main question, I've always found it easy to find information on tipping customs, or lack thereof, in any country - including for bar service. Plenty of print guidebooks and online sites have such information. I just follow whatever is the custom in the place I'm visiting, pretty simple.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I tend to tip everywhere coz it has kind of become second nature to us. When we ask someone about tipping, what we are really asking is if we need to tip more than what we are used to.

I hate to admit that tipping is such a critical part of our life here that everytime I am trying to come up with a number to scribble on that tip line on a receipt, I am essentially worried about tipping too little.

I also understand whatever I said may not make sense to many people but this is a cold fact.
I guess the basic point of my post was simply to say to Americans, "Don't overthink it when you're abroad." I think it's almost impossible that an American tipping according to US practice would under-tip when outside the US. Over-tipping is possible, but most people will probably take it in their stride. In a few places tipping might be considered an insult, but again I think most staff will wear the insult lightly if it's obviously not meant as an insult.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Even in US there are people in the business who advocate the end of tips in restaurants:

(these are just a handful of the results when you search on Google)

http://ny.eater.com/2013/7/10/640638...ts-go-tip-free

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...ing-2013-08-19

http://www.eater.com/2015/1/6/750472...s-35000-salary

http://groundswell.org/tip-free-restaurants/

http://smallbiztrends.com/2015/01/no...ittsburgh.html

http://www.caminorestaurant.com/no-tips

The reference to the tipping system as it was brought to the Americas from western Europe many hundreds of years ago, seems less valid today, IMHO. Those guys only worked with their bodies, and if transport was necessary, it was done by horse w/o carriage. Situation feels familiar?
Old May 24, 2015, 10:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm old fashioned and actually enjoy carrying a guidebook when I travel. While on the flight over, tipping is usually one of the sections in it I look up.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Just go by the waiter recommendations.
Never trust someone with a vested interest on giving advice on tips.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
They'll recommend you tip $100 per round!
Indeed.

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Everywhere Else In The World: Don't.
At least in many SE Asian countries, it's "leave the small change."
Old May 25, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by nkedel

At least in many SE Asian countries, it's "leave the small change."
Or not. Nobody will think less of you if you don't.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I learn about and adapt to many local customs when travelling. Gratuities to service providers however do not fall into that category.

I do work in a couple of developing countries and find the attitude of "don't spoil the locals with tips" to be far more offensive than occasionally offending someone in those few countries where tips are not a cultural norm.

To be frank I consider the obsession with tipping while travelling to be a preoccupation of cheapskates whose goal is avoid tipping under the guise of being "culturally sensitive."
How does taking 2 minutes to Google what the local custom is (and then follow it) equate to being "an obsession"?

Why call someone who may tip less than you childish names and seek to question their motives and character?

I don't know how to word this without coming across as patronizing, but isn't it important to remember, especially when traveling, that not everyone in the world thinks the same way as you?
Old May 25, 2015, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by User Name
How does taking 2 minutes to Google what the local custom is (and then follow it) equate to being "an obsession"?

Why call someone who may tip less than you childish names and seek to question their motives and character?

I don't know how to word this without coming across as patronizing, but isn't it important to remember, especially when traveling, that not everyone in the world thinks the same way as you?
You are correct in one regard. You don't know how to make your point without sounding patronizing.

I'll pay attention to the cultural differences that matter. How much and when to tip the help isn't one of them.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
You are correct in one regard. You don't know how to make your point without sounding patronizing.

I'll pay attention to the cultural differences that matter. How much and when to tip the help isn't one of them.
I'll keep that in mind should I ever visit the U.S. again, good advice
Old May 25, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Tips should be for superior service provided. The US is the only country I know where everyone thinks they provided superior service and deserve a tip.

Do you realize that tipping is a cultural difference that matters in some countries including the US? If you don't tip in the US, you often will offend the staff. On the other hand, the Japanese often see tipping as an insult. What you see as a positive thing may be seen as a negative thing in another culture, that's cultural difference.

Last edited by zerolife; May 25, 2015 at 7:52 am
Old May 25, 2015, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

It may matter to the recipient of the tip. Different countries have different ideas about which cultural differences matter and which ones don't. It may not matter to you, but as a traveler, you should consider whether it matters to the locals in the country you are visiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.