Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why is domestic first so horrible, and what are the alternatives?

Old May 18, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Hello, and I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong location.

Recently, I left my job behind a desk to begin consulting, and have gone from traveling once per year, to every 3 to 4 weeks. The majority of my flights are MCO <> ORD on United, and MCO <> DCA on USAirways/American. Almost every flight has been horrible. Despite being in the "first class cabin", I frequently encounter no working power outlets (or no outlets at all), flight attendants who are too busy chatting with passengers or reading magazines to run cabin service, horrible or nonexistent food when they finally do, crying children, and of course delayed flights and lost baggage which plagues everyone on the flight. Every once in a blue moon I'll actually get a decent experience (typically on United) where I sit down, have power and can work for an hour or two, am not distracted by crying children, and have a "there when you need them, gone when you don't" flight crew. But it happens so rarely.

I guess I am ranting / venting a bit, but I'm curious if there's any "fix" to this. Right now I'm paying around $700 per trip, and getting what I consider "coach" level service. I could justify triple that cost for actual "first class", but I can't seem to find anything between a "domestic first" and chartering a private jet at ~$40k per trip which exceeds my budget considerably. Does anyone know of any "tricks" to get better service from the airlines (even basics like working power outlets), or any alternatives to a regular commercial airline that are cheaper than chartering a jet for just myself (something like uber for jets perhaps?)? Google has led me to this site, but hasn't offered any specific answers to my question.

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM

it is not that horrible. Lower your standards and tou will be fine.

airplanes are a method of transport. And if you charge your laptop prior to the flight, you don't have to depend on power onboard.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Amtrak offers sleeper service twice a day between WAS and ORL.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Both of your regular flights are under 3 hours. How quickly does your battery die?
Yes you do deserve a working outlet when one is advertised and FAs that regularly check the cabin. The babies, baggage problems & delays are part of traveling. Hitting the call button is fine if you need service. Don't do it for every little thing but you can ask for what you need if the FAs aren't being attentive.
When you have a problem, report it on board and via the website comments section. I wouldn't go after compensation but if you report what is wrong it gives the company the opportunity to correct the issue. Same for good service. Commend those that do good work to reinforce it and hopefully have it spread through the culture.
There are other options on the MCO-ORD route but I think you're getting the best bet on UAs 737s.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Both of your regular flights are under 3 hours. How quickly does your battery die?
Yes you do deserve a working outlet when one is advertised and FAs that regularly check the cabin. The babies, baggage problems & delays are part of traveling. Hitting the call button is fine if you need service. Don't do it for every little thing but you can ask for what you need if the FAs aren't being attentive.
When you have a problem, report it on board and via the website comments section. I wouldn't go after compensation but if you report what is wrong it gives the company the opportunity to correct the issue. Same for good service. Commend those that do good work to reinforce it and hopefully have it spread through the culture.
There are other options on the MCO-ORD route but I think you're getting the best bet on UAs 737s.
My laptop is a "portable server" with 12 cores and 32GB of ram due to the nature of my work, and gets about 30 minutes per charge. I could carry a second less powerful computer for flying in addition to my on-site computer, and deal with the additional hassle at security - but a better way to solve the problem would be the (working) AC outlet they advertise.

As for service, here's an example from today's flight (which caused me to post this) - flight attendant took the drink orders for everyone before take-off. When she brought them back around she "forgot" mine, and said she'd bring it shortly. Didn't happen before take-off. After take-off, she proceeded to help with coach beverage service. When she came back to first, I hit my call light and mentioned I still hadn't received a drink. She said OK, and then on her way up front proceed to talk with a passenger a few rows ahead, for ~15 minutes. She got up front, and returned with the cookies to pass out, and when she finally got back to me I was informed "they were out of glasses". Why she wouldn't just bring me a can instead, I couldn't tell you. So, no soda for me.

I appreciate the suggestions on reporting issues. I couldn't care less about compensation - I simply want to pay for, and receive, a hassle free experience.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FrustratedTraveler
My laptop is a "portable server" with 12 cores and 32GB of ram due to the nature of my work, and gets about 30 minutes per charge. I could carry a second less powerful computer for flying in addition to my on-site computer, and deal with the additional hassle at security - but a better way to solve the problem would be the (working) AC outlet they advertise.

As for service, here's an example from today's flight (which caused me to post this) - flight attendant took the drink orders for everyone before take-off. When she brought them back around she "forgot" mine, and said she'd bring it shortly. Didn't happen before take-off. After take-off, she proceeded to help with coach beverage service. When she came back to first, I hit my call light and mentioned I still hadn't received a drink. She said OK, and then on her way up front proceed to talk with a passenger a few rows ahead, for ~15 minutes. She got up front, and returned with the cookies to pass out, and when she finally got back to me I was informed "they were out of glasses". Why she wouldn't just bring me a can instead, I couldn't tell you. So, no soda for me.

I appreciate the suggestions on reporting issues. I couldn't care less about compensation - I simply want to pay for, and receive, a hassle free experience.
I would imagine your computer would draw considerably more power than the outlets are designed for. Someone more knowledgable may chime in, but if I'm not mistaken they are limited to ~70 watts or so?
Old May 18, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. I've definitely had it work on some flights, but the power supply is 180 watts. So it might be close to / slightly above the limit.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

turboprop / very light jet would not be anywhere near $40K
can you do same day return flight? that would be cheapest

if ever doing west coast, consider via NYC, or even JFK-YVR on cathay pacific

seems youre not talking about airport experience, but if you were >
30 min from orlando - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando...tional_Airport
has allegiant air flying to >
90 min to DC - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagerst...gional_Airport
90 min to chicago >
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago...tional_Airport
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_B...tional_Airport

AA also has this in ORD and DCA >
https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/fivestarservice.jsp
Old May 18, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

Recently, I left my job behind a desk to begin consulting, and have gone from traveling once per year, to every 3 to 4 weeks. The majority of my flights are MCO <> ORD on United, and MCO <> DCA on USAirways/American. Almost every flight has been horrible. Despite being in the "first class cabin", I frequently encounter no working power outlets (or no outlets at all), flight attendants who are too busy chatting with passengers or reading magazines to run cabin service, horrible or nonexistent food when they finally do, crying children, and of course delayed flights and lost baggage which plagues everyone on the flight. Every once in a blue moon I'll actually get a decent experience (typically on United) where I sit down, have power and can work for an hour or two, am not distracted by crying children, and have a "there when you need them, gone when you don't" flight crew. But it happens so rarely.

I guess I am ranting / venting a bit, but I'm curious if there's any "fix" to this. Right now I'm paying around $700 per trip, and getting what I consider "coach" level service. I could justify triple that cost for actual "first class", but I can't seem to find anything between a "domestic first" and chartering a private jet at ~$40k per trip which exceeds my budget considerably. Does anyone know of any "tricks" to get better service from the airlines (even basics like working power outlets), or any alternatives to a regular commercial airline that are cheaper than chartering a jet for just myself (something like uber for jets perhaps?)? Google has led me to this site, but hasn't offered any specific answers to my question.

Thanks!
Domestic "First" isn't really First Class. It's Coach with a bigger seat. My suggestion is that since your flights are quite short (3 hours or so), live with it. You're not going to get the kind of service you might be wanting on any US domestic flight unless it's a 3 cabin wide body. Still you won't get anything near international First Class.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Traveling with two laptops isn't that bad except for the weight. I've been doing it for several years (two macbook pros) and have never had issues. On the rare occasion when I get precheck they both stay in the bag.

If your laptop sucks 180 W it's about 100 W too much draw for aircraft power outlets, which are mostly designed for about 75 W. It could be that the outlets work fine, but shut down when you pull too much current. You may be able to set your power settings in the laptop to reduce the power consumption substantially.

You can also get a larger battery. For the most part you can carry Li-Ion batteries less than 100 Wh in the cabin without issue, so many laptops are likely designed with that in mind. You may also be able to carry up to two additional LiIon batteries with capacity between 100 Wh and 300 Wh per passenger, but details get more complicated, and it looks like the total limit for batteries over 100 Wh is 300 Wh/passenger. One 300 Wh battery would likely get you most of the time you need, assuming your 180 W power supply is oversized so it can run the computer and charge the batteries at the same time. You can't put the >100 Wh batteries in checked baggage at all (they have to be in the cabin-- cabin fire extinguishers can put out a fire in them). I think in general you can only check the smaller ones if they're attached to the electronic device that they work with (i.e. in a laptop), but that's worth double checking.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
The only alternative is lowering your expectations. Domestic first in US is bad, and it is especially bad on leisure-heavy routes (and anything out of MCO will be leisure-oriented) .

It is just a 2-3 hour flight - keep your expectations low.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta, United
My suggestion is that you write the airline and ask for a partial refund for what is advertised but not received.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Thanks!
Horrible? That seems a bit dramatic. It's domestic F on a short 2-3 hour hop. What do you really expect? Flying Spirit airlines or Greyhound might qualify as "horrible".

You seem to not be happy with the value (or lack thereof) you're getting - maybe it would be a better compromise/value to you to go with Main Cabin Extra/Economy Plus instead and save your money.

flight attendants who are too busy chatting with passengers or reading magazines to run cabin service

Use the call button. The specific incident you mentioned today seems worthy of a quick, short comment to the airline - which can be done on their website easily. The FA sounds like, from your account, she was being a bit lazy. Keep it simple and to the point and not as if you're looking for compensation.

horrible or nonexistent food when they finally do,

You're flying the same routes repeatedly, so you must be familiar with the meal services, and times of day when food is or isn't served for those routes. "horrible" or not is a matter of opinion...again, if the F food isn't something you'll eat, consider flying coach in MCE/E+ and bringing food or BoB.

crying children,

That's a part of travel anywhere, in any cabin...and of living in a world with other humans, for that matter. How can you hold this against the airline?

and of course delayed flights and lost baggage which plagues everyone on the flight.

How does being in the F cabin have anything to do with delayed flights and lost baggage? It's the same plane, you all arrive at the same time. How often have you had a lost bag?

Your laptop power needs seem to be more than the typical passenger, possibly even above the capability of the system. This doesn't seem fair to hold against the airline. If power is advertised for a particular flight but truly isn't working, that would be fair game to contact the airline with a comment - better to start by asking the FA on the flight about it, too.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by cl.lurker
it is not that horrible. Lower your standards and you will be fine.
Truth.

Once you lower your standards adequately you will find yourself having genuine moments of "wow, that was nice". Like an offer to hang a jacket as you take it off while boarding. Or a meal that doesnt make you gag.

Stuff like that.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:40 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Horrible? That seems a bit dramatic. It's domestic F on a short 2-3 hour hop. What do you really expect? Flying Spirit airlines or Greyhound might qualify as "horrible".
Greyhound isn't terrible...but the stations they use are usually unpleasant or worse. Still, if in a pinch and in a major city, they may also offer round-the-clock service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.