Best/Most creative country count trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt

There are threads here for country count roll-calls, what counts as a country and what counts as a visit to a country. I have not come across anything here for planning of country count trips. I am curious if others have had any creative trips, ideas or resources focused upon increasing country counts.

I'll start by sharing this cruise I found in December 2016 that hits six countries (not territories) in seven days. Since I am not a huge fan of the Caribbean it gives me a chance to see them quickly and who knows one may interest me enough to return back to: http://vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=18967&sp=y
Old May 12, 2015, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by texmanufan
There are threads here for country count roll-calls, what counts as a country and what counts as a visit to a country. I have not come across anything here for planning of country count trips. I am curious if others have had any creative trips, ideas or resources focused upon increasing country counts.

I'll start by sharing this cruise I found in December 2016 that hits six countries (not territories) in seven days. Since I am not a huge fan of the Caribbean it gives me a chance to see them quickly and who knows one may interest me enough to return back to: http://vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=18967&sp=y
If you're counting countries just to fill out your dance card you're missing the whole point of travel. Stay in a country for a while to get to know it. Learn something new.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA
The link in the OP just asks you to sign up for deals. It doesn't show anything.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by backprop
The link in the OP just asks you to sign up for deals. It doesn't show anything.
Sorry about that. You are right I guess you need to be signed in. It is the silversea silver spirit cruise December 15th 2016.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I don't get why you'd want to say you had been to a particular country if you had just sat at that airport for half an hour during transit.

Each to their own. I guess some get a thrill saying they have been to 60 countries!
Old May 12, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
If you're counting countries just to fill out your dance card you're missing the whole point of travel. Stay in a country for a while to get to know it. Learn something new.
I figured this would come up and totally undestand your point. For me I have spent way too much time in countries I've loved and really haven't learned anything new because of it. I have tried to focus on getting out of my comfort zone and experiencing something new. Drove throughout the Balkans last fall and found two countries I would never return to and two or three I would love to return and explore in more depth.

Well in any case this cruise consists of small island nations that I wouldn't want to take a chance on a week of my lifetime without getting a hint of what I am in for.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't get why you'd want to say you had been to a particular country if you had just sat at that airport for half an hour during transit.

Each to their own. I guess some get a thrill saying they have been to 60 countries!
Most of the the threads I mentioned in the initial post debate these things. I guess I was naive in hoping to avoid what defines a stay in a country.

For the record I wouldn't count a layover in a country count. But am aware that some might.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:03 am
Suspended

Roadtrip in a rental car

In Europe you can do 17 countries in 24 hours, or 40 countries in 1 week.

In Southern Africa, the drive through South Africa, Mocambique, Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia (8 countries) is very nice.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:31 am

Amen.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Amen.
My recommendation is to stay at least one year in each of the 193 UN-countries.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Let me be the first to wish you good luck with your plan
Old May 13, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

I'd go for that. I'd love to be in good enough health to travel at the age 193.

I guess starting this thread wasn't such a good idea as it has turned into something other than what I hoped. I'll try to explain why I thought this was a good idea. I was given a travel map five years ago - probably from skymall by someone who knows I like to travel. After putting pins in all the places I have been it hit me that for my 35 years of adult travel I frequent mostly the same places with slight variations. Since changing my tactics I have actually had a lot of fun. Maybe it isn't for everyone. For instance I just returned this week from a trip to Italy. Ordinarily I would just go to all the places I have liked in the past while adding another place or two in the country. This time I took a day and night to spend in San Marino and glad I did. Wouldn't repeat as all the gun shops made me feel uncomfortable. I'll also argue that in one day of staying in a locally run hotel/B&B in a prime sightseeing location I can get as much out of it as staying three nights in a chain hotel from points accumulation away from everything.

Roadtrip in a rental car

In Europe you can do 17 countries in 24 hours, or 40 countries in 1 week.

In Southern Africa, the drive through South Africa, Mocambique, Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia (8 countries) is very nice.
I like to spend a full day and/or a night in a country. Hopefully in the middle of something interesting to see. So the European quick drive wouldn't work for me. Have been to most of these countries already anyway.

This August four of the countries in Southern Africa you mention I am spending at least a day and night in each that border the area near Victoria falls so like the idea.

Last edited by texmanufan; May 13, 2015 at 10:56 am
Old May 13, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended

I guess starting this thread wasn't such a good idea as it has turned into something other than what I hoped.
This thread is an excellent idea, and it'll get even better, once the intellectual riff raff stays outside.

Other good ways for country point collecting:

Golden Triangle (Myanmar, Laos, Thailand in one day)

Continental Micronesia Island Hopper

Yemenia Airways Connection (e.g. Saudi - Yemen - Djibouti - ground sidesteps Somalia and Ethiopia - Comores) when they fly, it's safe enough

LIAT Island Hopper, e.g. Trinidad - Grenada - Grenadines - Barbados (on the same plane)

Air Nauru from Brisbane via Nauru and Kiribati to the Marshall Islands (same plane)

Direct Bus San Salvador - Honduras - Nicaragua

The 3 Guyanas

Originally Posted by onobond
Let me be the first to wish you good luck with your plan
Thanks
Old May 13, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

...Golden Triangle (Myanmar, Laos, Thailand in one day)...
Good idea. I have noticed this as well in the Golden Triangle although when I finally make it to Thailand I am sure it will be much longer than a day.

...Direct Bus San Salvador - Honduras - Nicaragua...
Lucky in my location I have done or in planning for many of the Central American countries as 2-3 day weekend trips.

...The 3 Guyanas...
This intrigues me although I am not sure how to go about it. More research needed.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:53 pm
Suspended

This intrigues me although I am not sure how to go about it. More research needed.
Some info here: The 3 Guyanas Overland
Way in from Brasil, way out via Caribbean Islands (Trinidad).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.