Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get medical emergency fare on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

My daughter is in Germany. We just found out that a family member has a brain tumor and we would like her to come home as soon as possible. What is the best method for getting the united to give her a break on the fare?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GailT
My daughter is in Germany. We just found out that a family member has a brain tumor and we would like her to come home as soon as possible. What is the best method for getting the united to give her a break on the fare?
I tried that with UA when my father-in-law died. Turns out the bereavement fare isn't really any lower than a discount fare you can get on line.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sorry to hear your news. I don't believe United offer bereavement / family emergency fares any more, but on the airlines that still do, they rarely represent any cost savings (the benefits of them is that the airline will often waive minimum stay / make them changeable etc.) As you are asking about United specifically, if there is a ticket already booked for a later date, you could call them and ask if they can make an exception to their change fee policy because of the circumstance - I have done with successfully with another airline, even though it was not in policy.

Being FT, some may suggest using airline miles, if you have them, would be a good plan, but I am not overly familiar with that myself so will leave it to others to comment.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The value of these fares is that they waive minimum purchase and thus do actually represent a significant savings over what is otherwise offered. They can also be more flexible as to the return.

It is definitely worth calling UA and asking. Better yet, ask someone not directly and emotionally involved in the situation who can explain what the situation is and then collect what is required.

Also, if you have miles/points on any carrier, consider asking whether that carrier/alliance might find award space. Some will make an effort.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:35 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
GailT, welcome to FlyerTalk! As you are planning to fly on United, let me move this to the United forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz and United.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
I think United stopped offering bereavement fares in March of 2014. Like other posters have noticed, it was rarely lower than the lowest available discount fare. I'm sorry to hear about your family member. Your best bet it to kayak it unless you have status or loyalty to United
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

thanks everyone for the comments and also the kind words. I think she is going to just cancel the United ticket and keep whatever is left as credit, and try that new Norwegian flight from Oslo. She says she can get a one-way ticket for $500.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Pre merger United opened saver award availability to me when my stepmother unexpectedly passed away...not sure if the current regime would do it or not.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:44 pm

Does she already have a ticket? You mention keeping it as a credit. Bear in mind that if its a nonrefundable ticket the change fee for an international flight is quite steep and she will have to use the credit within the year.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by GailT
thanks everyone for the comments and also the kind words. I think she is going to just cancel the United ticket and keep whatever is left as credit, and try that new Norwegian flight from Oslo. She says she can get a one-way ticket for $500.
My sympathy as well, and welcome to FT.

Your daughter seems to have found an excellent arrangement, but it might be to her advantage to tell United why she is cancelling the ticket. While United will not offer a bereavement fare at low cost, it might (no guarantee) be willing to waive the usual fees associated with a cancellation under these circumstances.

I comment on the basis of personal experience, though in an admittedly different situation. Five years ago, I used UA miles to book award travel to Germany on LH. Two months before the flight, I broke my hip in a fall and was unable to travel. When I cancelled the reservation and reinstated the miles, the UA agent charged me the appropriate fee, but suggested that I write to UA with appropriate documentation (a doctor's note, in my case) and that the fee might be refunded. I followed through, and within a month or two the fee was refunded to my credit card.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
If she has an existing UA ticket that she could rebook, UA may waive or refund some or all of the change fees/fare difference. By policy, you are supposed to get a refund if you meet the requirements, less a $50 fee, but you might get more generous treatment if you call.

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...nd.aspx#tabs-4

Refund request for nonrefundable tickets — unplanned event - covers change fees
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
As said above, there is no longer a bereavement fare with UA.
When my grandfather was dying last year and I had to go from LHR to YWG with no notice, I called UA and was quoted 3 different fares in 3 calls, so be prepared to HUACA!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You may want to reach out to UA INSIDER here on FT.... that team represents UA and can be very helpful in resolving issues.

It is definitely worth a message to that team!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.