Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

4 hour layover in Naples, Italy: feasible to visit the city?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Traveling on a JFK-NAP-LGW itinerary and I have 4 hours 5 minutes in NAP from 6:00am-10:05am.

I hope to take a quick jaunt into Napoli. I've never been there and even if it's for 1 hour or so, I'd like to have a look if this is feasible? Happy to pay for taxi to save time. Ideally, I'd go somewhere with a beautiful vista/view and have breakfast. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT!

I don't know if they'll be open, but look up l'Antica Pizzeria da Michele...it's the best you'll ever eat!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Welcome to FT!

I don't know if they'll be open, but look up l'Antica Pizzeria da Michele...it's the best you'll ever eat!
Do they serve breakfast pizza?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I really don't know, and I suspect not, but once you've had that, you'll never go back to any other pizza!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta, United
From the airport to the center of town can be quick, 15-20 minutes without traffic. However, given the amount of time you are really on the bubble for going in to town.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:03 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
RPM211, welcome to FlyerTalk. This site has a forum dedicated to Italy and I'll move this thread there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:29 pm

Traffic in Naples can be a zoo. Around 6 am it will be OK, you'll need less than 30 min. to get to the centre by taxi, but at 8-9 am it can take up to as much as needed to miss your connection. I'd be extremely careful! Not saying it can't be done but it is actually not recommended if you are at risk for a coronary disease...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by RPM211
Traveling on a JFK-NAP-LGW itinerary and I have 4 hours 5 minutes in NAP from 6:00am-10:05am.

I hope to take a quick jaunt into Napoli. I've never been there and even if it's for 1 hour or so, I'd like to have a look if this is feasible? Happy to pay for taxi to save time. Ideally, I'd go somewhere with a beautiful vista/view and have breakfast. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Impossible. Originating from JFK you will have to clear passport control. You'll probably be the only flight arriving at 6 AM, but unless you're first off the plane if you have 100 people in front of you it may take 50 minutes to an hour before you are at the curb getting into a cab. It will take 20-25 minutes to get from the airport to the waterfront, which is where you'd want to go. Figure that you'll be arriving there 7:10-7:30.

Unless you have priority access you have to be back at the airport at 8AM, two hours before the flight. It's a 25 minute ride back if there's no traffic. That means you have to leave the waterfront at 7:35AM, five minutes after you arrive.

Everything will be closed at that time. There won't even be a place open for you to have a cup of coffee. If you have status and want to risk of returning to the airport at 8AM, hoping to get to the airport at 8:30 and cutting it close, there will still not be any place open at 8AM in Naples. Italians don't eat breakfast. Restaurants open at noon, the earliest. At 8AM if you are lucky, you might be able to stumble on a place to get a coffee and a croissant, but that's about it.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Frankly it is a waste of time and you won't visit anything of Naples anyway.

The best thing to do is strolling along Via Partenope and Lungomare Caracciolo and thereafter indulging on a caffè in some bar on the waterfront (no pizza early morning), things you cannot think to do in such short time.
Esp. if it happens to be a weekday when a 8am return to the airport is often a pain. Then, although generally quick, you have also to pass the ID check for the extra Schengen flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.