How do you keep cabin bags safe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer

Looking in the news about Indonesia's & Singapore's tough law (death) on drugs, as well as avoiding general petty theft. What do you do to ensure cabin luggage/bags are kept safe from both theft or being a unwitting drug mule?

I always put a small lock on my carry-on, and if flying into said countries, will always check my bags before proceeding though immigration & customs.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lighthand
Looking in the news about Indonesia's & Singapore's tough law (death) on drugs, as well as avoiding general petty theft. What do you do to ensure cabin luggage/bags are kept safe from both theft or being a unwitting drug mule?

I always put a small lock on my carry-on, and if flying into said countries, will always check my bags before proceeding though immigration & customs.
The stories of this happening fall into the category of "legends and lies". The people who claim that someone put drugs in their bags without their knowledge are usually, shall we say, being less than honest.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
The stories of this happening fall into the category of "legends and lies". The people who claim that someone put drugs in their bags without their knowledge are usually, shall we say, being less than honest.
I always think it's better to be safe then sorry. Noose around the neck, or a bullet would sure ruin the day.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:13 am

Honestly, the lack of ability to Google and the failure to read or keep up with the news doesn't make you an expert. The case of Roger Levans, as well as the botched 142 grams of cannabis planted in an unknowing passengers luggage by Narita customs (the funny part here being the dog didn't find it and authorities appealed publicly for its return) come immediately to mind.

So, it happens. Not as many times as mules claim, but enough to make a useful defense, and to illustrate that the idiotic unlocked bag policy has made us less, not more safe.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
See these prior threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-airplane.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rhead-bin.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...eft-cabin.html
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I don't bother with locks, since anybody who wants to get into my bag could just use a utility knife. But I do generally put either a wire key chain or zip ties on my bag if I'm going to be sleeping/not paying attention for a long flight or train ride. It isn't going to stop anybody who really wants to get into my bag, but it makes it take a little bit of effort, so hopefully they go for the bag next to it instead.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Small lock goes on after I pass security. The real valuables (camera gear, etc) are in the small backpack and under the seat in front of me where I control it completely.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National, Hilton
1. I avoid those countries.
2. My only carry on is a backpack or bag that goes under the seat in front of me.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I always think it's better to be safe then sorry. Noose around the neck, or a bullet would sure ruin the day.
I assume, then, that you never fly. While flying is the safest form of transportation, the odds of getting killed in a plane are far, far higher than the odds of getting executed in Singapore because someone planted drugs in your bag.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

I assume, then, that you never fly. While flying is the safest form of transportation, the odds of getting killed in a plane are far, far higher than the odds of getting executed in Singapore because someone planted drugs in your bag.
Any particular reason for the troll like comment?

I was simply pointing out that individuals should take precautions to ensure they are not wrongly accused. After all it only takes a few mins to check your bags.

With respect to theft, a simple lock or zip-tie always help IMO.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any particular reason for the troll like comment?

I was simply pointing out that individuals should take precautions to ensure they are not wrongly accused. After all it only takes a few mins to check your bags.

With respect to theft, a simple lock or zip-tie always help IMO.
Not a troll. Simply pointing out that if you are that worried about someone sneaking drugs into your bags ("Noose around the neck, or a bullet would sure ruin the day") doesn't pass muster when you look at the odds of it happening.

I live about half the time in SE Asia. I have seen or read of many incidents where people are caught with drugs and try to claim someone else hid them in their bags. Never turns out to be true.

You're worried about something you simply don't need to worry about. Not trolling, just trying to be logical.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:19 pm

^^^
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
The fear of someone planting drugs in your suitcase makes sense from the point of view that it seems relatively easy to achieve. The problem is that it isn't necessarily so easy to retrieve those drugs which is why I suspect this doesn't happen very often if ever.

Securing your carry-ons from theft on planes makes sense. This does happen with some regularity.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
A lock will prevent someone from surreptitiously adding contraband to your bag without being detected (a slash in the side is very visible).

Not foolproof against getting arrested but you could also stop and inspect the bag contents as soon as you get off the plane (or grab the bag from the carousel) rather than blithely continue on to the airport exit.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by AllanJ
A lock will prevent someone from surreptitiously adding contraband to your bag without being detected (a slash in the side is very visible).

Not foolproof against getting arrested but you could also stop and inspect the bag contents as soon as you get off the plane (or grab the bag from the carousel) rather than blithely continue on to the airport exit.
One of the reasons I've heard for getting your luggage wrapped in plastic is to protect against tampering by baggage handlers. Personally, I've never used such a service, but it would provide you with a solid line of defense if you're truly worried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.