Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

50 min connection time for JAL-AA at SFO... will it work?

Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying JAL from HND to SFO, then AA to LAX in early July. The JAL flight lands on 7/4 5:45 pm, and AA flight departs at 6:35 pm. That's 50 minutes. I actually found this exact itinerary on BA, and when I called AA to book the rear flight, the rep didn't say anything. It didn't dawn on me until now how tight this is! Unfortunately for me, this will be on 7/4, so this is the last departing flight from SFO-LAX available, so to postpone the second flight would mean staying in SFO and catching a flight the next day.

Things to consider:
- My wife and I both have Global Entry and are flying in business class both flights.
- We have to check in luggage.
- In my experience, trans-Pacific flights coming to North America tend to arrive earlier than scheduled.
- If we stay, I suppose we could watch the fireworks in SF, which we've never done before.

What do you think?

Last edited by DaveInLA; Apr 24, 2015 at 9:42 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:48 pm

Rebook or stay overnight. You will never make the connection. You have to change terminals as well.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:32 pm

10% chance. My Haneda flight to SFO was early, like you say. But we sat on the tarmac for ten minutes waiting for a gate, which negated half of our early arrival. GE and carry-on only for me and I was in the CX lounge waiting for my Alaska flight in around 45 to 50 min. But with checked bags, which I find to be slow at SFO, and a busier AA terminal, you're really pushing it. You'd be highly dependent on early arrival and small holiday crowds just to have a chance.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Virtually impossible. I think the connection violates MCT (minimum connection times) published for SFO. It could take 50 minutes for you to get through immigration alone.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You have about a 5% chance of making the connection.

Are there really no later flights that evening? Wow.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG G

Just did the exact same route in first class 2 days ago.no bags checked and had longer connection though.I got secondary tsa screening that held me up for quite some time at T2.try to go with a later flight cause even if everything goes smoothly,it's still a tight connection...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:30 am

Immigration isn't the problem. Op has Global Entry which mostly works well at SFO.

The problem is checked bags. Waiting to claim and recheck bags considerably cuts down the odds of making the connection. It's a short walk between terminals--though TSA pre is a crapshoot.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:34 am

Why not NRT-LAX direct and avoid the headache? The HND-SFO route also has gimped food service in F, not sure about J.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

This is below MCT, so chances are you will be automatically rebooked/rerouted before your travel begins. You really are better off being proactive and calling them to change to a more acceptable connection time. You will probably not be charged any change fee, this connection should not have ticketed in the first place
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:40 am

What about a Delta or United flight later that night

I can see a Delta flight for $76 a person on a flight at 7:30pm

Otherwise you could drive the 5 hours if you really needed to be in LA
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:48 am

There are TONS of later flights from SFO to LAX on UA and VX, with UA being in the adjoining terminal to International terminal.

Is it just a lack of seats on later flights?

Hotels will be especially costly that night but if you know there aren't other available options you should start looking now.

If the airline causes you to miss your connection shouldnt they be on the hook for your overnight accomodations?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It is untrue that the last flight is at 6:35 PM. UA has service as late as 10:10 PM on that date.

2. 50 mins. is not likely doable. If you misconnect, you will likely be rebooked the next day, but nobody is going to cover your costs unless your inbound flight is late for reasons within the carrier's control, e.g., mechanical.

3. Hotels in SFO will be expensive and likely lousy options at that point on a holiday.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: United Gold

Can't imagine he wouldn't be charged to change carriers from AA to UA..
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:20 am
Original Poster

I should have mentioned that this is an award flight booked with AA miles. The last flight on 7/4 is the 6:35 one I mentioned. If I book a separate UA flight, that'll come out of pocket, whereas the AA flight I'm looking at would be part of the HND-LAX award. There were no J award seats for NRT-LAX available.

It looks like I'll have to call AA to change the flight to the next day.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:33 am

Don't forget JL has the San Diego flight too, just as another option close to LA. It was a 787 wide open when I booked, but had their older angled seats a few months ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.