Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

50 min connection time for JAL-AA at SFO... will it work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 min connection time for JAL-AA at SFO... will it work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by aktchi
That's 50 min in airline-speak: touch down to take off. It will take at least 10 min for the plane to taxi and you to exit. ....
no, published schedule times are block (gate) times, not flight times ... the 545pm arrival is the expected time that the parking brake is set; the door will open a couple minutes later once the jetway is positioned ... similarly the 635pm departure is when the boarding door is closed

Originally Posted by aktchi
I agree with previous advice: I would rebook.
regardless of the above, there's really no question about this
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, folks. For sure I won't take my chances then. The question then is whether I rebook to a flight the next morning now, or wait until seats open up for NRT-LAX in late June. I've been tracking JAL availability closely; premium cabin seats (including F) seats open up consistently 13 days before departure. I could then use the illegal CT to make an argument to waive the change fees.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You really should ask this question on the AA board, in one of the threads dealing with partner awards. I believe, but don't quote me, as long as your origination and destination don't change, there aren't fees for changing your routing. So switching from NRT-SFO-LAX to NRT-LAX shouldn't incur a fee.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
You really should ask this question on the AA board, in one of the threads dealing with partner awards. I believe, but don't quote me, as long as your origination and destination don't change, there aren't fees for changing your routing. So switching from NRT-SFO-LAX to NRT-LAX shouldn't incur a fee.
You're right about change fees. But I'm currently scheduled for HND-SFO-LAX, which should incur a fee if I change to NRT-LAX. I'm not wondering if I can avoid the fee-- I would expect to-- but whether I should bypass SF altogether now.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

I changed the SFO-LAX segment to the next day without problem. After the CSR made the change, she asked if I needed accommodations. I assumed she would help me get a discounted rate or something and said no thanks. Now, I'm wondering if AA would've provided a complimentary hotel room, given the illegal connection time and having to stay overnight due to no late flights that evening. I called back and asked, and a different CSR said what I initially thought-- that it would be at my expense. What do you guys think? Did I miss an opportunity the first time?
Old May 6, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I changed the SFO-LAX segment to the next day without problem. After the CSR made the change, she asked if I needed accommodations. I assumed she would help me get a discounted rate or something and said no thanks. Now, I'm wondering if AA would've provided a complimentary hotel room, given the illegal connection time and having to stay overnight due to no late flights that evening. I called back and asked, and a different CSR said what I initially thought-- that it would be at my expense. What do you guys think? Did I miss an opportunity the first time?
At least in my experience, the award desk representatives will usually offer to help you book hotels or rental cars at your expense. I think that was all she was offering, unfortunately.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: LH HON
Why the heck is AA even offering this connection?
Old May 6, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: Too many to list
I think you should be OK. I did it on my way to Jakarta couple of times.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Is this really true? Even if the connection is less than minimum CT?
If you need to overnight in SF, ask the airline for a distressed traveler coupon for nearby hotel. Usually a piece of paper where you call into a 800# for nearest hotel. Grabbed the Aloft SFO for $99 bucks - perfect since the online price at that time was nearly double that
Old May 7, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
I think you should be OK. I did it on my way to Jakarta couple of times.
Difference here is the OP is entering the US, not leaving the US. Going to Jakarta you wouldn't have had to endure the fun of US immigration and customs.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by wrp96
Difference here is the OP is entering the US, not leaving the US. Going to Jakarta you wouldn't have had to endure the fun of US immigration and customs.
With GE, if he didn't have checked bags (and assuming he has precheck -- if I misunderstood that, never mind) I'd be willing to chance it.

With the wait for checked bags likely to eat up a lot of the time savings for GE, and the risk that even if he makes the connection, the bags won't on a terminal-to-terminal transfer, I wouldn't chance it.

The suggestion that someone else made about just paying the $76 for the UA/DL tickets as a backup isn't the worst idea in the world; 1:45 should be more than enough with GE (the only downside besides the cost being shlepping the bags over to the new check-in-desk, and the likely lines there.)
Old May 11, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

could call AA five star >
https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/fivestarservice.jsp

if single ticket, wont bags transfer/interline/etc ?
Old May 12, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Given that a $76 solution has already been provided, a $250 one probably isn't worth considering.
if single ticket, wont bags transfer/interline/etc ?
Even if it is interlined, luggage still needs to be collected at the first U.S. port of entry and redeposited with the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.