Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Video of baggage handlers throwing hundreds of bags roughly. What airline is this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Video of baggage handlers throwing hundreds of bags roughly. What airline is this?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by HMPS
At some airports they have a wrap your suitcase with layers of " Saran wrap" like plastic. Nominal charge , if you have expensive luggage , worth it !

I had a suitcase jammed full, I was afraid it would open up if thrown about. Got it wrapped.
Of course, the TSA will just tear it open to get at the stuff inside your suitcase if they way. And they certainly won't bother to re-wrap it.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by industry_killer
Have you ever worked as a baggage handler, I have my doubts as you keep repeating this. It certainly is not faster to toss things lightly, especially overloaded heavy suitcases. To do what you say it would take almost twice as long to offload the cans and keep pax waiting even longer.
No, I haven't. I have thrown heavy things around.

And I note that they don't take any more time to lightly toss the duffel bag than they do to slam the suitcases against the back wall, so I bet it does not take any longer to throw with less force.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Obviously a mid Eastern airline. But what's wrong with the handling? What do you expect? White gloves and carefully placing each bag in an exact spot and dusting off their prints? This seems quite normal to me.
It could be any airline, any airport (many airlines contract out their baggage handling, e.g. AA at JFK).

It is indeed normal - and uncaring, detached workmanship resulting in loss, damage and breakage in the thousands of incidents every day. What other industry tolerates this nonsense? This is what the airline industry expects of us - we'll quiescently accept their lack of care.

Imagine for a moment the shoe on the other foot: the average passenger treats the aircraft interior with the same lack of care, resulting in hundreds, if not thousands, of "protuberances" broken off - armrests, tray tables, bin hatches, etc. Scratched and dinged seats, counters, lavs because hey, if it's good enough for the baggage handlers to be uncaring, rough in their handling and allowed (nay, protected by their employer!) to damage baggage and its contents every day, it's good enough for me. Payback time!

Though my upbringing and experiences actually have me be careful in how I treat others' property - even the airlines' - and take professional pride in my work. And if I caused damage to others in my work rôle, I was held responsible and not insulated from the consequences of my actions.
Old May 2, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
I've been a baggage handler and I actually think those guys are being a little too rough. One has to use some force and throw bags. To gently lift bags and place them on the belt would take too long and actually risk causing more self injury.

Although we'd throw bags, we would try to damage them.

Having worked that exact setup (moving bags from the cart and onto the belt) we'd use enough force to let gravity land the bag on the belt. Not so much that the bags would bounce off the back walls and fall onto the belt.
Old May 2, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
If bags were given the white glove treatment every step of the way, it'd take two hours to turn planes and at least an hour to deliver bags to the claim. Especially considering the fact people love to stuff them with 80 lbs of crap.

I'm willing to bet most people couldn't even lift their own bags over their heads and set them down gently. Let alone over and over again, rapidly. Or crouched inside the three foot high cargo hold of a 737. It's a very fast paced, labor intensive job, worked outside in the elements. The "rough" handling in that video is the norm throughout the industry, and doesn't result in broken items unless packing is done poorly. And its truly sad if these workers really lost their jobs because of some ignorant person decided to make a big fuss over them just doing their job normally.
This is exactly correct.

in my younger years i worked as a ramp agent (baggage handler) for an airline that only had 737's. When you are being tasked to turn a plane in 30 min (unload and load), there is no way you can meet your deadlines and targets without tossing luggage on to the belt or in the hold. of all the guys i worked with, i never witnessed anyone maliciously throw luggage with the intent of causing damage or to simply just be a jerk.

are these guys being a little too rough by bouncing the bags off the back wall? yes, maybe. but perhaps the belt has a sharp turn in it down the line and if they don't get the bags at the back end of the belt it could cause a jam down the line.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theshaun
are these guys being a little too rough by bouncing the bags off the back wall? yes, maybe. but perhaps the belt has a sharp turn in it down the line and if they don't get the bags at the back end of the belt it could cause a jam down the line.
That would be a better excuse if they didn't throw them so hard that some bounced back towards the near side of the belt.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by 7Continents
To the masses of average size travelers, if you can't lift your bag more than 6 inches off the ground, don't expect a ground handler to either.
Amen - My rule: If you can't lift it over your head, it isn't a carryon!

And to those who pack heavy -- if you have to bring the kitchen sink with you and YOU can't lift the dang thing, why do you think baggage handlers can lift your bag 100+ times every turnaround? Ship ahead, edit your packing, or pack in smaller bags and pay the extra fee.

Last edited by BSpeaker; May 4, 2015 at 9:21 pm Reason: hit return too quickly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.