Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airline lounge guesting dilemma - what would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline lounge guesting dilemma - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
First option, yes. Second option, scam the airline. Really?

Tell the 2 colleagues the situation. Tell them you can take one in free and the other will have to pay. Suggest they split the cost of the pass between the 2 of them.
The OP already explained it's a BA lounge where paying for entrance not is an option

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Depends on the relationship you have. I consider many of my colleagues to be friends, and have even had opportunities to travel with them on occasion.

Even if they're not "friends" they are still colleagues with whom you have to work and it makes sense to be sensitive to their feelings. Better to "give up" the lounge in order to build up or preserve a working relationship than to say you don't owe them anything and feel ok leaving them.

Of course, it does depend on the situation, but you cannot assume that others will share your perspectives.
Agree, life is full of compromises. A couple of hours enjoying benefits of a lounge vs a couple of hours unwinding with workmates. The lounge will be there for next time.

Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by onobond
The OP already explained it's a BA lounge where paying for entrance not is an option

Agree, life is full of compromises. A couple of hours enjoying benefits of a lounge vs a couple of hours unwinding with workmates. The lounge will be there for next time.

Even casual friends are still friends. If you have such a relationship with your coworkers, then the question is actually different. it is "I have the ability to guest one friend into the lounge, but two friends traveling with me". That is a very different situation than "I am traveling with two coworkers who we have to be on the same trip with, but do not spend social time together with". I have no problem with workplace friends, but I also recognize that not all coworkers need to be friends.

As for the OP's original post, if these were workplace friends then, yes you did the right thing. If this it was a case of feeling obligated because you are traveling together, don't let that feeling of obligation turn the trip into resentment of missed opportunities.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:40 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I guess I come down differently.... I see no problem with choosing someone... or have them choose... to join me in a lounge I have paid to be in. I do not find it "tacky" to say I am going to the lounge.

To carry further, would you give up a first class upgrade just because your two travelling companions did not get one? I think not....
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by rumbataz
A quick update: I decided not to use the BA lounge yesterday. I would have felt really bad to have let one or both colleagues down (both were BA Blue tier). One issue was that I couldn't have purchased entry to the lounge for one of my colleagues even if I had wanted to.

I never mentioned lounge access to them.
I'm late to the game, but that was going to be my exact suggestion.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:19 pm

I know the trip already happened, but I wonder if the OP thought of just explaining the situation to his friends and then just asking if the lounge attendant would let them in (explain to attendant as well). I wonder also if the green club could help in that situation.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wharvey
I guess I come down differently.... I see no problem with choosing someone... or have them choose... to join me in a lounge I have paid to be in. I do not find it "tacky" to say I am going to the lounge.

To carry further, would you give up a first class upgrade just because your two travelling companions did not get one? I think not....
On my last trip through Heathrow and the BA lounge, I had a slightly different take on this. I am OW Emerald, my two companions are OW Sapphire (and one was my boss. Go with both to the Galleries lounge, or go to the First lounge with my boss? ........ opted for all of together in Galleries. What's more important, relationships or food and alcohol??
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by wharvey

A lounge visit is worth nominally 25-50$... an F seat is 300$+

The tacky part of the decision is ditching one's group over such a trivial "opportunity".
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by handspring088
On my last trip through Heathrow and the BA lounge, I had a slightly different take on this. I am OW Emerald, my two companions are OW Sapphire (and one was my boss. Go with both to the Galleries lounge, or go to the First lounge with my boss? ........ opted for all of together in Galleries. What's more important, relationships or food and alcohol??
Aaaaah, decisions, decisions....
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
The obvious choice would have been the one with the bigger b00bs, but I think the OP has chosen wisely in the end. (I'm assuming both coworkers are male or the OP is female...)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Actually one coworker was male and the other female. Due to my strict adherence to my company's Standards of Business Conduct policy, I would never dream of favouring the pretty female coworker...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by farbster
I know the trip already happened, but I wonder if the OP thought of just explaining the situation to his friends and then just asking if the lounge attendant would let them in (explain to attendant as well). I wonder also if the green club could help in that situation.
I actually like this idea a lot! ^

I like it for a couple of reasons: It generates a "we are all in this together" situation, which makes you look like a team player. If it works, then all three of you get in, which would be a great outcome. If not, then at least you all gave it a try. Finally, it gives one person (or even both) the opportunity to say, "I don't really want to go to the club; you guys go," which would nicely solve the problem in a different way.

Quite frankly, if I had spent an entire week with my colleagues from work, I would be very ready for some alone time. This gives me a great excuse to head off on my own and look like a trooper for doing so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.