Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airline lounge guesting dilemma - what would you do?

Airline lounge guesting dilemma - what would you do?

Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All depends on your company's culture and your relationship with them.

Generally speaking, I would never leave someone out. If I can afford to, I would pay for that person (discretely and presuming that the lounge offers a day pass) and if I could not or a day pass is not available, skip the lounge, be collegial and forget it.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If you like both of your work mates and can't get them in, I wouldn't go to the lounge.

One non lounge visit won't break you.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Ask someone in the lounge to guest the 2nd person in?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Often1
All depends on your company's culture and your relationship with them.

Generally speaking, I would never leave someone out. If I can afford to, I would pay for that person (discretely and presuming that the lounge offers a day pass) and if I could not or a day pass is not available, skip the lounge, be collegial and forget it.
This. ^
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
This …

Guys, I am going to the lounge to catch up on some work. You are welcome to join me but the pass I bought will only allow me to guest one person in for free. If you both want to join me you would need to split the cost of a $25 day pass. The booze will probably pay for it self given we have 2 hours.
That would go down really badly with most people. There's firstly the implication that you're just going to leave whether other people might want it or not (and some people consider joint travel a work environment) and secondly I'm a bit skeptical of how hard you're going to be working given that you're apparently focused on the booze.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
That's precisely what he meant isn't it? Making an excuse to leave them...
Ah, I see what you mean. I read it as he/she thought going to the lounge was the same as going to the toilet/restroom, but is just going to say that as an excuse (I think).
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
A quick update: I decided not to use the BA lounge yesterday. I would have felt really bad to have let one or both colleagues down (both were BA Blue tier). One issue was that I couldn't have purchased entry to the lounge for one of my colleagues even if I had wanted to.

I never mentioned lounge access to them.

We just enjoyed a meal and boarded with everyone else. To be honest, I felt good about that. The choice might have been to sit in the lounge on my own or enjoy a meal with colleagues in the main airport departure lounge. I actually preferred the latter in the end.

The lounge can wait for another day when I'm travelling alone or with just one colleague.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA
(talking to my two colleagues) "Hey guys... I'm a lounge member, but my pass lets me bring in only one guest at any given time. I'd really like to give both of you the chance to enjoy the lounge for a bit. I'm happy to guest one of you in first, and then after an hour or so bring you out and guest the other in. What do you think; who's first?"

Maybe not for everyone, but I'm confident that many of my own colleagues would think this is a good solution.

(To avoid any confusion: I am NOT suggesting the unethical approach of guesting in one colleague, then going back out and guesting in the second colleague such that both colleagues are in the lounge at the same time.)
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Eye of Storm
(talking to my two colleagues) "Hey guys... I'm a lounge member, but my pass lets me bring in only one guest at any given time. I'd really like to give both of you the chance to enjoy the lounge for a bit. I'm happy to guest one of you in first, and then after an hour or so bring you out and guest the other in. What do you think; who's first?"
Taking turns? No way. Its a lounge. Its not exactly the last ride on a Concorde. Sounds petty and most people would pass on it altogether
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
If you can pay for access, pay.
If not, find a nice bar/restaurant to hang put in. Its work expense, after all (???).

No matter the working relationship/status, i would never leave a colleague stranded. Esp covertly. That is utterly tactlessness
+1
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rumbataz
A quick update: I decided not to use the BA lounge yesterday. I would have felt really bad to have let one or both colleagues down (both were BA Blue tier). One issue was that I couldn't have purchased entry to the lounge for one of my colleagues even if I had wanted to.

I never mentioned lounge access to them.

We just enjoyed a meal and boarded with everyone else. To be honest, I felt good about that. The choice might have been to sit in the lounge on my own or enjoy a meal with colleagues in the main airport departure lounge. I actually preferred the latter in the end.

The lounge can wait for another day when I'm travelling alone or with just one colleague.
You chose wisely, imo. Good call!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by deniah
Taking turns? No way. Its a lounge. Its not exactly the last ride on a Concorde. Sounds petty and most people would pass on it altogether
*shrug* That's why I said "maybe not for everyone". Personally I don't think it's petty. If there's two hours to kill, the two colleagues may well appreciate each having an hour in the lounge and a different hour to stretch their legs while walking around the airport, especially if they can leave their bags in the lounge with the others.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Independent
I suppose different rules for different countries. Here I would simply bring up that I had lounge access but could only bring in one guest. This is work travel - it's not like these are friends you owe something to. For that matter, if you guys are traveling together one or the other may very well want to get away from the others for a bit.

I guess the real question is how would you feel on the other side of this? If someone I knew had lounge access, I would not expect them to automatically bring me in with them. I might not like the idea of choosing one over the other, but if you brought it up to the both of them, then really you are not playing favorites.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Can you perhaps buy one access? If not you could either pretend that you have to make a private phone call and go off or you're going to have to sit in some sports bar with them.
First option, yes. Second option, scam the airline. Really?

Tell the 2 colleagues the situation. Tell them you can take one in free and the other will have to pay. Suggest they split the cost of the pass between the 2 of them.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cloudship
This is work travel - it's not like these are friends you owe something to.
Depends on the relationship you have. I consider many of my colleagues to be friends, and have even had opportunities to travel with them on occasion.

Even if they're not "friends" they are still colleagues with whom you have to work and it makes sense to be sensitive to their feelings. Better to "give up" the lounge in order to build up or preserve a working relationship than to say you don't owe them anything and feel ok leaving them.

Of course, it does depend on the situation, but you cannot assume that others will share your perspectives.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.