Do you not wonder where I've gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you not wonder where I've gone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by cbn42
One problem with your position is that you are assuming that airlines could win customers back by contacting them.
No, I'm not. Winning customers back is likely to be expensive. I'm talking about finding out why they left and maybe preventing other customers from doing so by fixing the issue IF it is cost effective to do so.

Most people are not loyal to any airline and book whateve is cheapest, or they are locked into one airline due to a corporate contract or frequent flier program. If someone has decided to "leave" an airline for whatever reason, it's highly unlikely that an e-mail or phone call is going to bring them back. Writing an algorithm to track people's flying patterns, identify those who may have switched to another carrier, and contacting them, is likely not worth the cost.

1. As another commenter said, they can already do that through random surveys. There is no need to contact every single person.

2. These days, there isn't much that distinguishes airlines from each other. Sure, a very few people might switch from A to B because they didn't like the food, but more than likely about the same number switched from B to A for the same reason. Given that almost everyone books on schedule and price, there is really no point watching these things and trying to track the minute differences between airlines. It's more worthwhile to invest on price and schedule.
True, but why let business go cheaply? Like I've said before there may be a free/cheap thing they can do to retain regular customers, so why focus solely on discounting fares?

Last edited by roberino; Apr 16, 2015 at 6:53 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by roberino
I used to regularly fly to the US on VS so I had gold status for four years (and then some) with my butt in a Y seat every step of the way. Hard earned. One year I earned 70 tier points that way. I also had a long-held BD gold account that I earned solely through EU travel.

Then things changed. I had one bad year with my company and lost the VS gold status by a grand total of 2 tier points! I also lost my BD gold when BA bought BD and my account became BA gold, but since I hate BA with a passion (long story) I didn't fly a single flight with them.

My question is this. When a previously very loyal customer suddenly stops taking any flights with an airline are they not even slightly curious as to where they've gone? I mean, I didn't even get an "it's been a while since we've seen you" email. Are they not wondering what it was that made me not take a single further flight with them? Surely this is important information for their marketing group?

I appreciate that there are plenty of reasons why a customer might do this:

- Retirement? I'm 35...
- Change of job? Nope...
- Sudden crushing avatophobia? Hardly...
- Died? Well Bruce Willis isn't following me around...

Can anyone explain this?
"Do you not wonder where I've gone?" I thought for sure this thread was going to be about the myriad of once very active FT'ers who have disappeared from these forums over the years.

As for the airlines - they don't give a rat's arse if you're flying with them or not. You're merely a passenger on the bus
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Because it could be an easy or cheap thing to fix.
The problem is that you're assuming it's worth fixing. The airlines apparently don't think it is.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
No, I'm not. Winning customers back is likely to be expensive. I'm talking about finding out why they left and maybe preventing other customers from doing so by fixing the issue IF it is cost effective to do so. ...
well ... what makes it not cost-effective is that what might fix YOUR issue isn't what fixes Customer X's issue, and what fixes Customer X's issue isn't what fixes Customer Y's issue, and ... ad infinitum ad nauseum ...

further, six weeks or months or six years from now, you (and Customer X, and Customer Y) are likely to cite something else as your critical issue that is driving you to find a different airline
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
One problem with your position is that you are assuming that airlines could win customers back by contacting them. Most p....

<SNIPPED>

2. These days, there isn't much that distinguishes airlines from each other. Sure, a very few people might switch from A to B because they didn't like the food, but more than likely about the same number switched from B to A for the same reason. Given that almost everyone books on schedule and price, there is really no point watching these things and trying to track the minute differences between airlines. It's more worthwhile to invest on price and schedule.
Isn' that why LCC are born and prosper ?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I always wonder why first timers of a particular airline in F are not treated specially. You might like that airline and then move all of your business there. It isn't just regulars that should be treated with fanfare.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I say something similar about cable TV service anytime one of my friends complains how terrible XYZ's service is or how RST are the biggest crooks ever. "The worst cable TV company is the one you've got, because they've had the chance to frustrate you most recently." This is the reality of shopping in an industry controlled by a small number of huge players.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I say something similar about cable TV service anytime one of my friends complains how terrible XYZ's service is or how RST are the biggest crooks ever. "The worst cable TV company is the one you've got, because they've had the chance to frustrate you most recently." This is the reality of shopping in an industry controlled by a small number of huge players.
yes this akin to a salesman is as good as his last sale or the restaurant is as good as your last meal there......However the problem arises when many more CUSTOMERS start to feel they have been " cheated" out of what they paid for.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by jrl767
well ... what makes it not cost-effective is that what might fix YOUR issue isn't what fixes Customer X's issue, and what fixes Customer X's issue isn't what fixes Customer Y's issue, and ... ad infinitum ad nauseum ...

further, six weeks or months or six years from now, you (and Customer X, and Customer Y) are likely to cite something else as your critical issue that is driving you to find a different airline
That type of issue falls neatly into the category of "not cost effective" then.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I always wonder why first timers of a particular airline in F are not treated specially. You might like that airline and then move all of your business there. It isn't just regulars that should be treated with fanfare.
British Airways is often quite good with first-time F visitors. I remember being exceedingly well looked after on my first trip. The trouble with BA as ever is that it's entirety inconsistent - and you never have a second first time (though I seem to remember pretending with a friend on our third trip that it was..).
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
^
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by brendog

<snip>

No matter how much you love a brick, it will never love you back...
Not so sure about that. I had a girlfriend in a suburb to Berlin, surname Tegel (as airport), german word for brick. Not fitting your description...

Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by onobond
Not so sure about that. I had a girlfriend in a suburb to Berlin, surname Tegel (as airport), german word for brick. Not fitting your description...

Built like a brick house ?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:56 pm

That type of issue falls neatly into the category of "not cost effective" then.
Except it's not that simple. We're talking about a business that operates multiple locations across multiple countries. Airlines also run complex and interrelated computer system. As jrl767 notes, when you make a change to fix one problem, that change may result in creating a new set of problems. Even the simplest of "fixes" needs to be thoroughly tested to ensure that it doesn't break stuff. That's not cheap.

Example: I was Revenue Manager at the "flagship" hotel of a worldwide hotel company. As we were corporate-owned/operated, we were the beta-testing site for the CRM (customer relationship management) software that's now used at hotels in the chain.

I recall one seemingly simple update managed to break the link between the PMS (property management system) and the wake-up call system. That resulted in understandably angry guests who never got wake-up calls. It took days to figure out the problem because the programmers insisted that the CRM update couldn't be the root cause.

My point is that determining that something is "not cost effective" is never easy in a complex system like an airline.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brendog
focus on lucrative corporate contracts
Originally Posted by HMPS
Sounds like 20 % of the regulars provide 80 % of revenue?
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
best customer is not the individual traveler who has top-tier elite status. A hotel's best customer is the local corporation who requires all visiting employees to stay at that hotel. It all comes down to numbers. At best, a single traveler can only provide 365/366 room nights each year. Of course, that's theoretical since virtually no one lives in a single hotel. A local company can easily provide hundreds to thousands of room nights for a single hotel.
best customers (including 0.01%) spend a lot >

http://www.hotelnewsnow.com/articles...Clock-check-in
According to van Paasschen, just two percent of travelers drive 30 percent of Starwoods profits
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...otel-bill.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.