Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:04 pm

Not sure this is amazing, but I recall flying the likes of JAL and SQ when we'd fly to MNL....and on the main cabin wall, just behind 1st class and/or business class there'd be a clock to show departure city/time AND arrival city/time AND flight duration.....I miss those days.

Reminds me of those solaris departure boards in Europe!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:32 pm

I was on an early morning flight out of SEA one day (before the sun came up.) I looked down and saw the recently-arrived Concorde (at The Museum of Flight on Boeing Field). They had spotlights on it - what an amazing sight!

The first time I saw the Eiffel Tower while flying into CDG was also great. I had transited through many times and it seemed like it was socked in every time.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Most of them, I think ...
1) A flight of five F-15 Eagles lining up for a picture behind the refuelling tanker (I was in the boom ops blister talking to the lead over the radio, and yes I did ask if they could close up a little ;-) )

2) A storm lighting up the clouds over Rwanda on a recent LHR-JNB trip

3) Standing with my toes over the ramp on a C-130 photographing The Red Devils as they jumped off past me.

4) Hudson Bay frozen solid seen from a otherwise very tedious LHR-SFO flight.

5) People eating dinner in their apartments just off (it seemed) the wingtip on final into Kai Tak.

I'm sure there are more.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
Just yesterday, the Cotopaxi volcano in eruption above the clouds.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
... pilots used to announce these cool sights, they never do anymore. Is it because they're afraid people will jump up and try to get to windows to look out?
no, it's because probably 90% of travelers are plugged into screens (either airline-provided IFE or their own devices for work or leisure) and don't care about anything going on in the outside world

further, many if not most screenwatchers -- particularly those on IFE -- tend to get rather upset when someone prefers to have the window shade open ... search "window shade etiquette" or similar phrase
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:13 am

The most amazing thing you've seen from a plane is the ocean at sunset. I've seen once, and I hope I could see this breathtaking view again.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:32 am
Suspended

Arriving into LHR early evening on the day Windsor Castle went up in flames in November '92.
Even the pilot was pretty impressed at that sight.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
As a life-long New Yorker, I'm still as giddy as a child every time I descend into LGA and get a view of the skyline. Bonus points when someone else on the plane has never seen it before. Always make sure to sit on the left side at a window

Other than that, the Northern Lights flying CX from the US over the Arctic - however dim and distant they may have been
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'd say the approach to SDU in Rio, I mean on a really nice day the over water approach into YVR is brilliant but I live there, so I've seen it a few times. This approach into SDU was...fantastic. I don't usually take notice of these things, but this one really hit me, it was a beautiful day, the flight gets REALLY low and the blue non-poopy waters of Guanabara Bay just shine from up there.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
1. Approach into HNL at night.
2. The Grand Canyon from 30K feet.
3. Approach into MIA at night.
4. An amazing late summer sunset after departing DTW one evening.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Mount Fuji from CX0543

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/album379
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

-Roy Batty
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

-Roy Batty
Love that
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
Originally Posted by langham123
The ground after I landed in my glider having negotiated wind sheer on the final approach!
Did you add go around thrust?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:55 am

The fireworks during the closing ceremony of the 2000 Sydney Olympics, was amazing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.