What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most amazing thing you've seen from a plane

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I fly into Heathrow roughly a dozen times a year. But the approach, if from Central London, still gives me a kick. Amazing aerial views of Parliament, Hyde Park, Picadilly, Buckingham Palace, Wembley Stadium. You have to be seated on the right hand side to enjoy these views and hope that your aircraft won't be descending from the Windsor side (in which case you'll catch Windsor Castle).

I remember flying into London once on a flight from Norway with a Norwegian couple next to me visiting London for the first time. I pointed out their hotel and a lot of the major places to visit as we descended.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
On my way to Santa Fe from DFW, I saw a house on fire.

Also, every time I see New York or the Statue of Liberty - never gets old.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
KC-10 refueling a B-2 2000' above me and 2 miles.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass
I have two spectacular memories.

Last year I was flying from Rangoon to Hong Kong in a very cloudy and foggy evening. As we approached Macau, the clouds began to dissipate but still remained. Through the clouds, I could see the lights blinking from the ships and digging operations below. Macau's bright lights were also evident. As we neared Hong Kong, the skyline stuck out above the clouds and it was awe-inspiring.

First was flying from Phoenix to Washington, DC, on Independence Day, 2006. The flight left in the late afternoon so I watched fireworks light up the night sky from a window seat for the entire flight. It was breathtaking.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Flying over Greenland I guess.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:25 pm

- Flying out of LHR on Guy Fawkes day. Tons of fireworks. Way more than I've seen flying on July 4th

- Seeing the lit up tulip greenhouses in the Netherlands at night
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by agp423
On my way to Santa Fe from DFW, I saw a house on fire.
Taking off with Air Arabia from Doha, Qatar one evening there was a whole warehouse on fire right next to the airport. I was surprised the captain did not say anything as there was fire pretty much everywhere.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Northern Lights in Canada.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: QF
Aurora Australis at a distance
Australian outback
Swiss Alps
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
  • Southern tip of Greenland a few times on TATLs.
  • Northern lights (with lots of red) enroute to Fairbanks.
  • Two other jetliners flying same speed & parallel track as us for many miles, on a TATL.
  • The Shenandoah Valley (?) on a flight from the west to east coast of the U.S.

I do love the view from up high, and am always saddened when the skies are overcast.

Not something seen, but rather felt: On a flight from Cordoba, Argentina, crossing the Andes mountains to Santiago, Chile. The pilot came on the PA and announced that we would soon be encountering some turbulence. Sure enough, in a couple of minutes we started bouncing hard in every direction, approximately 3 jolts per second. No doubt some passengers were terrified; OTOH, someone behind me gave a Texan "yee haw!" yell as if he were riding a bucking bronco in a rodeo.

In 2 minutes it was all over, and the pilot came back on the PA to tell us that it had been a lot more intense than he had expected.

Last edited by Middle_Seat; Apr 12, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:53 pm

Flying into Newark and seeing skyline and summer icebergs in newfoundland.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:54 am

This might be old hat to many, but just recently flying to/from MIA-MGA (Managua) and seeing the many beautiful shades of blue and green while flying over the ocean was amazing.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WillTravel
This might be old hat to many, but just recently flying to/from MIA-MGA (Managua) and seeing the many beautiful shades of blue and green while flying over the ocean was amazing.
I agree, I did that exact route and the scenery is amazing. Especially when you cross over islands early in the flight:

Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Independent
Fly-bys are always neat. Most people miss them because they are so quick. I especially like it when the cross at almost right angles at fairly close flight levels.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
As a kid in 1980 flying out of Midway in Chicago. As soon as we broke through the clouds there was the very top of the Sear's tower.

Also, flying directly over Sendai, Japan within 24 hours of the earthquake and tsunami. We were watching news reports of the catastrophe in SFO before boarding our flight to ICN. There was smoke visible from many fires and the airport was surrounded by water. Heartbreaking to think about what those below were going through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.