Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does duty free shopping work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Poster

How does duty free shopping work?

Hi, next week I am flying from Newark, NJ to Roatan, Honduras (with a layover in Houston, TX). I am thinking of purchasing some liquor at the duty free shops to bring with me on vacation. I have never done this before and was not sure of the process. After purchasing, do I then take it as a carry on? Can I buy it in Newark or do I have to wait until Houston? Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't buy it in Newark as you could then theoretically leave the airport in Houston. You can buy in Houston, and they'll deliver it to the gate.

According to the Internet, these are the Duty Free import limitations for Honduras:

The following goods may be imported into Honduras without incurring customs duty:

• 500g of tobacco in any form.
• 5L of wine or spirits.
• 2kg of confectionery.
• Goods up to a total value of US$500.

Just keep in mind that Duty Free is rarely a bargain. You'll most likely find the airport product for much cheaper IN Honduras or at your local liquor store.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In most countries, you must "declare" alcohol even if it's under the limit and you don't owe any duty. Sometimes this means exiting through the red lane.

Some countries also let you purchase duty free upon arrival. Norway and Singapore are two examples. At some airports, you're almost forced to walk through a duty free store to exit.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 2, 2015 at 4:09 pm Reason: autocorrect
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In most countries, you must "declare" alcohol even if it's under the limit and you don't know any duty. Sometimes this means exiting through the red lane.

Some countries also let you purchase duty free upon arrival. Norway and Singapore are two examples. At some airports, you're almost forced to walk through a duty free store to exit.
What countries are that,if I might ask??None of the 80-90 odd Ive been to,but I supose those are less than "most"
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by geirfugl
What countries are that,if I might ask??None of the 80-90 odd Ive been to,but I supose those are less than "most"
As noted, Norway. Was just in Oslo last week and you have to exit through the duty free and past the cashier lanes on departing customs. It was weird. I assume it's because the tax on alcohol is so high in Norway.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In most countries, you must "declare" alcohol even if it's under the limit and you don't know any duty. Sometimes this means exiting through the red lane.

The UAE as well. Maybe you just haven't been looking when you've landed...
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
They're not memorable and I dont buy, but several airports now send arriving passengers through a duty free shopping gantlet. It's becoming quite common, actually.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Honduras will have much cheaper and better rum, and other drinks..

Forget the duty free.,,
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
They're not memorable and I dont buy, but several airports now send arriving passengers through a duty free shopping gantlet. It's becoming quite common, actually.
SVO was another example the last time I was there.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:32 am
In memoriam

The key thing to know about duty free is that it is no bargain, especially if you live in the US where retail taxes on liquor are generally quite low. It is, however, a great way for politically connected folks to get a very profitable franchise at the airport preying on the unknowing.

I can buy booze at my local Trader Joe's or Costco for much less than the duty free prices.

Years ago you could get quite a deal at the airport. Now, IMHO, not even worth thinking about.

If you live in a higher tax area such as UK or Norway-Sweden there may be some savings.

In my experience local booze is quite cheap in the Islands. Just buy it there.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ScottC
The following goods may be imported into Honduras without incurring customs duty:

• 5L of wine or spirits.
Wow! That's about seven regular bottles!

Just keep in mind that Duty Free is rarely a bargain. You'll most likely find the airport product for much cheaper IN Honduras or at your local liquor store.
Indeed
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:06 am
Suspended

I was comenting on all of theese countries where you soposedly have to declare alcohol even if its under the DF limit,not all of the places that sends you through a DF area,those are many and increasing evry day,have newer been to a Place where you have to declare if your under the limit.

Might be an issue if you bring in any vintage botle thats under the limit,but above the generall limit for all goods,say a 25000 usd botle of wine,but,thats a fairly speciall case!!!

BTW : regarding OSL,-it is posible to awoid the DF area by taking the second exit to the left,unlike many other places,I do it all the time!!!

Sorry,that is on arrival,exiting,its not possible,unfortunately!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Apr 6, 2015 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:54 am

I never really had a problem purchasing alcohol from duty free and bring the purchased item to another location. Normally theres a limitation requirement and after purchasing it they will either have it ready in a bag for you before you board the plane or will let you carry it on. Actually, you can even purchase duty free alcohol on the plane while traveling abroad, just remember to know the limitation requirements and there shouldnt be a problem. Again just replying to your post from previous experience. Oh and a little tip that might help; If you're just purchasing duty free alcohol thinking to get the best deal then make sure you research on prices at different locations (in your case the places youre headed) on the type of alcohol you're planning to purchase because it might not always be the best deal in duty free.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:57 am

Duty free shopping~ alcohol hunt

I never really had a problem purchasing alcohol from duty free and bring the purchased item to another location. Normally theres a limitation requirement and after purchasing it they will either have it ready in a bag for you before you board the plane or will let you carry it on. Actually, you can even purchase duty free alcohol on the plane while traveling abroad, just remember to know the limitation requirements and there shouldnt be a problem. Again just replying to your post from previous experience. Oh and a little tip that might help; If you're just purchasing duty free alcohol thinking to get the best deal then make sure you research on prices at different locations (in your case the places youre headed) on the type of alcohol you're planning to purchase because it might not always be the best deal in duty free.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! As this is a general travel related question rather than an award program topic, your post has been moved here to the TravelBuzz forum for further discussion.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.