Is bumping unfair to hard of hearing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is bumping unfair to hard of hearing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
And I think the overwhelming response here is "no, it isn't unfair."

If they make the VDB offer via a verbal announcement in the language that most people in the boarding area would understand (or perhaps the primary origin and destination languages for an international flight), they get a pass on basic fairness.

If they add kiosk offers, text messages, displays on a screen, or make the offer in a wider variety of languages, they may get a better response. But most often, they're just looking for a couple volunteers so it's not like there's a pressing business need to do all of this.

IME, gone are the days when they oversell by 20-25 people. In the late 1990s, I could frequently pick up $500 in AA vouchers on a Friday afternoon by giving up my seat on a 2:50PM ORD-MCI flight. They'd bump a dozen people off of that 727 almost every week. I funded almost 100% of my family's leisure travel for about 4 years with AA bump vouchers, nearly all of which came from that one Friday afternoon flight I flew every week. (They'd rebook me to the 6:30PM flight...and sometimes that one would need volunteers as well!)

These days, I suspect that better data analytics has allowed them to fine-tune their oversell algorithms to a narrower range. Plus, much tighter standby rules and change fees that are 4x to 10x higher than they were then tends to mean less passenger-initiated movement between flights. When they need volunteers, they just need a couple (usually), so they don't have to work as hard to get them.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eman13
Who did I blame? I just asked if it seemed unfair.

btw how would they then bump me, if I notified the GA in advance ? when I went to board theyd tell me ?
Is it really that hard to figure out?

eman13 to GA: Hello, I am interested in any bump opportunities, but I am a bit hard of hearing. If there is a chance you will offer any bumps I will be sitting right over there (cue to eman13 to point to a specific seat in the boarding area). Thank you.

Then a simple follow up if there is a delay, or multiple announcements that you don't quite catch.

Be proactive, it works much better that way.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If they were going to do anything at all the best way to implement it would be text messages to those who signed up to receive them.

When do you sign up to receive them? Default in your FF profile?

How do you respond and say I'm interested? Time limit to respond?

Seems like text notifications would be too much work considering that texts for delays/cancellations aren't always done in a timely manner.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jabbered

Seems like text notifications would be too much work considering that texts for delays/cancellations aren't always done in a timely manner.
It sounds like too much work because the airline systems are ancient. Why is it complex ? check in to flight, select "yes i'd be interested in being bumped / join mile high club / free coffee" wtvr and bingo
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:48 pm

It sounds like too much work because the airline systems are ancient. Why is it complex ? check in to flight, select "yes i'd be interested in being bumped / join mile high club / free coffee" wtvr and bingo
What you want would like cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to implement. Potential costs include:
  • Programming: Create a new relational database to integrates with the existing database without affecting functionality in existing software.
  • Testing: Prior to implementation, test all software with the new database to ensure it doesn't accidentally break something.
  • Training Plan: Create a new training program that explains the new procedure, including service recovery for people who claim they never received the text.
  • Training Implementation: Train every single front-line employee and manager at every single airport.
  • Service Recovery: Establish a compensation procedure to use when people complain about the new system.

Why would any airline do all of that when the low-tech combo of pen/paper/PA system already works for 99% of their customers?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
What you want would like cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to implement. Potential costs include:
  • Programming: Create a new relational database to integrates with the existing database without affecting functionality in existing software.
  • Testing: Prior to implementation, test all software with the new database to ensure it doesn't accidentally break something.
  • Training Plan: Create a new training program that explains the new procedure, including service recovery for people who claim they never received the text.
  • Training Implementation: Train every single front-line employee and manager at every single airport.
  • Service Recovery: Establish a compensation procedure to use when people complain about the new system.

Why would any airline do all of that when the low-tech combo of pen/paper/PA system already works for 99% of their customers?
I have gotten text alerts in the past, whats the big deal
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:29 pm

I have gotten text alerts in the past, whats the big deal
Seriously? The "big deal" would be the cost of implementing everything I documented.

Texting doesn't magically happen. Companies have to have procedures and software to ensure that the texts being sent are accurate. And, any new procedure requires training.

I think you have a solution in search of a problem.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My experience with text alerts from airlines is that they're great several hours before a flight but always lag other forms of communication once I'm in the airport looking for real-time information. For example, a gate change: the GA will make the announcement, then I'll see it a minute or two later on the airport monitors, and then 20 minutes later I might get a text about it.

Since the vast majority of VDB activity is very fluid and very real-time, happening in a span of minutes before a flight closes, texting won't help. Even if they put in a process to allow a GA to send mass freeform texts, you won't even receive the text until long after they've found their volunteers and sent the flight on its way.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
A simple text msg would do or yes the screen shows standby list / upgrade requests why not a "seeking bump volunteers"
But that's not fair to the visually-impaired. What you're suggesting is all announcements be made in both an audio and visual manner?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Plus bumping isn't a simple yes/no situation. Having a list like that would make things extremely complicated for a GA who does not have a lot of extra time.

I'm willing to be bumped from just about any flight. So I'd put my name on the list just about every time. But the amount I'd need to be offered can vary considerably, and I wouldn't be willing/able to make a final decision until I know the alternate routing options. Multiply that times anywhere from 50 passengers on an RJ to hundreds on an international flight and there's no way a GA would be able to talk to everybody and get the flight out on time. And it isn't like I could pre-select what combination of voucher/routing/upgrade is acceptable to me, as the seat availability on other flights is going to change from when I check in to when a volunteer is needed, especially if I check in online 24 hours before the flight.

The process works. This is, as already said, a solution in search of a problem. All the OP has to do in the future if they are willing to get bumped is go to the GA when they get to the gate and let them know. That's it. That's the solution. No need for anything else.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jabbered

If I were going to implement it it would be in the profile. Whether they can actually make it work is another matter...
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl

What new database? You have one new field in an existing database--text # to send prospective bump messages to. If the database handling code is well written this will have zero effect on anything else.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like too much work
Well, then, I guess you won't be getting the message. Tant pis.

I know I'll take flak for this, but the entitled attitude of the "disabled" is starting to seriously honk me off.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What new database? You have one new field in an existing database--text # to send prospective bump messages to. If the database handling code is well written this will have zero effect on anything else.
I'm operating under the assumption that an airline would want to keep track of this type of activity. Since a single field has limits to the amount of data it can hold, you'd probably want to create a separate table that records each individual transaction. Regardless, whether it is a single field, a new table, or a new database, there would be costs involved with testing.

And, I know from experience that making changes to an existing database can muck things up. One of the hotels where I served as Revenue Manager was a beta-test site for our chain. One time, a change essentially broke the interface between the property management system and our PBX phone system. This led to no wake-up calls and very unhappy guests.

But, I made my point. The cost of training alone would kill this plan. If you have 1,000 gate agents who get paid $15/hour take a one-hour training, that's $15k right there. No airline would spend that when the current system works reasonably well. Not to mention the fact that advances in revenue management calculations have made "bumping" less common.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

You missed where im hard of hearing? and at times I cant tell if the announcement is airport paging or the GA.. unless I look and see the GA actually speaking.

Audiologist here--As soon as you get to gate, identify yourself to gate agent and someone with a hearing issue--ask them to come get you if anything happens out of the ordinary as you might not be able to hear overhead announcements....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.