Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fire alarm at a hotel twice in one night

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:08 am
Original Poster

It's 2 in the morning and I am standing outside because the fire alarm is going off again at the hotel I'm staying at here in Miami. The hotel is full of college kids on spring break and I see no signs of a fire. This is the second time tonight that the fire alarm woke me up. There was no fire the first time. Can't the hotel figure out who pulled the fire alarm and evict them? I wonder if I can get some compensation for this.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

What did they say at the front desk? Any cameras in the hallways?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
only time i had a false fire alarm it was at a place that has a policy of "good nights sleep or your money back" , so i got my money back
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:35 am

If the hotel is full of kids on spring break the likelihood is that the two fire alarms were caused by two different perpetrators. In either event, if the hotel can identify who did it either by room number or CCTV, their spring break trip will have become considerably more expensive.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010
It's 2 in the morning and I am standing outside because the fire alarm is going off again at the hotel I'm staying at here in Miami. The hotel is full of college kids on spring break and I see no signs of a fire. This is the second time tonight that the fire alarm woke me up. There was no fire the first time. Can't the hotel figure out who pulled the fire alarm and evict them? I wonder if I can get some compensation for this.
Being in Miami during Spring Break and staying at a hotel full of college kids and complaining about noise is kind of like being in Thailand during Songkran and hanging out at an outdoor beer bar and complaining about getting wet.

I'm sure the hotel is trying to keep as much control as possible.

As far as compensation, why? Is this a defective alarm? Is an hotel employee involved?

You made your choices. Perhaps you didn't realize the impact of those choices. But you will next time. Call it a "Lesson Learned".
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Being in Miami during Spring Break and staying at a hotel full of college kids and complaining about noise is kind of like being in Thailand during Songkran and hanging out at an outdoor beer bar and complaining about getting wet.

As far as compensation, why? Is this a defective alarm? Is an hotel employee involved?

You made your choices. Perhaps you didn't realize the impact of those choices. But you will next time. Call it a "Lesson Learned".
Ahh..the old 'blame the victim'. I love that story.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:25 am

Isn't the victim the hotel if these were malicious alarms?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by tkey75
+1^
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by Norri
Isn't the victim the hotel if these were malicious alarms?
No, not if the hotel didn't suffer a financial loss.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by rbwpi
No, not if the hotel didn't suffer a financial loss.
The hotel fire alarm is the victim. It didn't deserve to be set off. It was minding it's own business hoping to continue to sit in silence.

Based on the OP, it sounds like the hotel will be suffering a financial loss as he/she is asking about compensation and others will likely too.

I'm not ready to blame the OP for booking the hotel during spring break, but would caution anyone to think about such things in the future and if something did happen during a stay at a property, that short of some type of guarantee for peace and quiet, roll with the punches and just live with it.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

I've had malfunctioning fire alarms before, but I've also had an alarm wake me up when the hotel was actually on fire and smoke was quickly spreading up from floor to floor, though it didn't reach my floor for quite some time after we evacuated.

Chalk this one night up to the "joys" of time on the road and be thankful the alarm is there to begin with.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tkey75
Ahh..the old 'somebody did something I didn't like, give me money.' Love that story even more.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Somehow I doubt the hotel announced to all of its guests that it would be "full of college kids."

The OP rented a hotel room in a city in which he needed to stay. Just how does that choice mean that the hotel isn't responsible to keep the peace?

Last edited by Doc Savage; Mar 29, 2015 at 4:34 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

The noise of the other people didn't bother me. The fire alarm bothered me. And considering that the college kids just continued their party outside, it seems likely that one of them pulled the fire alarm as a joke.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The OP rented a hotel room in a city in which he needed to stay. Just how does that choice mean that the hotel isn't responsible to keep the peace?
The hotel has to have functioning fire alarms by law. These fire alarms can easily be set off by a malicious/idiotic individual. Not much the hotel can do about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.