Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to you go about Travel Money?

How to you go about Travel Money?

Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrismk
What astonishes me is that they rarely check your signature either!
the outlet has fulfilled its duty

If there is a dispute that is a matter for the issuing bank
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:10 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
ATM on arrival. Keep ~$100 or equivalent for next trip.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chrismk
What astonishes me is that they rarely check your signature either!
As if a retailer is an expert in handwriting?

I had a pub in Cardiff want to decline a card after matching signatures. In my opinion, it wasn't so much that they didn't match as that he was scared to death of chip and signature.

I pulled out a photo ID to help assure the young man and to keep myself from getting very annoyed.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
USA is one of those places where I too like to have some of the hard stuff.
I go for many weeks and never have a need to use cash here in the US. Car wash, post office, fast food, grocery, gas station...I'm hard pressed to think of anyplace that requires cash in my daily life. The occasional vending machine that doesn't take plastic is about it. Even the Girl Scouts selling cookies on a foldout table in front of the grocery store take credit cards nowadays.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I go for many weeks and never have a need to use cash here in the US. Car wash, post office, fast food, grocery, gas station...I'm hard pressed to think of anyplace that requires cash in my daily life. The occasional vending machine that doesn't take plastic is about it. Even the Girl Scouts selling cookies on a foldout table in front of the grocery store take credit cards nowadays.
Agreed. Even parking meters take credit cards these days.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by ChrisTheZulu
something ive been thinking about that's not talked about much here is how you go about getting your travel money? for business, i suspect people care less (at least I don't!), but how about personal trips?

looking at getting some US dollars ahead of our trip next week myself!
Totally confused.

People "care less", but YOU don't? (or you do)?

Do you care MORE?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I travel with 3 to $5,000 in cash. Currency depends where I am going. I usually get it from the bank before I go because that amount does not necessitate trying to save a few pennies. If I was taking 500k out I would look around for the best exchange rate.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by IcHot
I pulled out a photo ID to help assure the young man and to keep myself from getting very annoyed.
I was declined something overseas, I think in the USA or Canada as the shop assistant had never seen an Australian Driver's Licence. I said because you have never seen one does not mean that this is fake. Frustrating.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've got a Post Office credit card, similar to Clarity, which not only doesn't charge a fee for foreign currency transactions overseas, but also in the case of cash will deliver it to my nearest post office and charge it as a purchase rather than a cash advance.
The Post Office Card is good for overseas purchases, but ATM withdrawals are heavily charged (relatively), and buying currency from the Post Office can usually be bettered. I appreciate convenience may be a factor for some.

As previous posts, Halifax Clarity provides the best of both worlds and can be paid off almost real time.

Santander Zero is unfortunately not accepting new applicants so Norwich and Peterborough Debit Card comes next.

Now, if only one of the UK cards reimbursed ATM fees as branches aren't always open, things would be ideal.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by jmc1K
There is a $€Ł cash machine at T5. My banks have an honest exchange rate policy, so I usually pull out a thousand there and decline the conversion option.
But does it have a foreign currency transaction fee?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
ATM on arrival. Keep ~$100 or equivalent for next trip.
Yup. Keep enough cash for taxi from airport to the hotel, tips and a meal that will hold you long enough to get to an ATM.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
US is slowly becoming a cashless society. I use cash for 2 purposes. One is for tiny purchases. The other is that there are a number of Mexican restaurants in my neighborhood where they don't accept anything but cash. Not sure why. They also don't speak English. Coincidence, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by ft101
But does it have a foreign currency transaction fee?
It's important to keep *all* the factors in mind. Exchange rates, fees, etc. Myself, I decide not to "sweat the small stuff" and just use a CC that doesn't have fees and an ATM card from a credit union that refunds the ATM fees. Then I just live my life and not worry about a percent here or there.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
US is slowly becoming a cashless society. I use cash for 2 purposes. One is for tiny purchases. The other is that there are a number of Mexican restaurants in my neighborhood where they don't accept anything but cash.
While society as a whole will be slow to go cashless the ability to go cashless -- for those who want to-- has evolved rapidly. Within the past 5 years virtually all the cash-only types of merchants have changed to accepting credit cards. Fast food restaurants all accept them. Street vendors largely accept them, via easy and low-cost tools like Square. Taxi drivers accept them, if only because more and more cities have passed laws requiring that they stop pretending their machine is broken. The last holdouts seem to be small, mom-and-pop type operations. But even they will probably have to get on the bandwagon within a few years as fewer and fewer customers carry cash.

Years ago I'd withdraw $100 from the cash machine and it'd last me a week if I was frugal. Nowadays I withdraw $100 and it can last months. I'd advise foreign travelers visiting metropolitan areas in the US to rely on using credit cards (assuming no forex fees), keep their cash withdrawals small, and use cash only for small transactions like tipping the bellhop. Travelers visiting remote small towns and rural areas may need to rely more on cash.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
While society as a whole will be slow to go cashless the ability to go cashless -- for those who want to-- has evolved rapidly. Within the past 5 years virtually all the cash-only types of merchants have changed to accepting credit cards. Fast food restaurants all accept them. Street vendors largely accept them, via easy and low-cost tools like Square. Taxi drivers accept them, if only because more and more cities have passed laws requiring that they stop pretending their machine is broken. The last holdouts seem to be small, mom-and-pop type operations. But even they will probably have to get on the bandwagon within a few years as fewer and fewer customers carry cash.

Years ago I'd withdraw $100 from the cash machine and it'd last me a week if I was frugal. Nowadays I withdraw $100 and it can last months. I'd advise foreign travelers visiting metropolitan areas in the US to rely on using credit cards (assuming no forex fees), keep their cash withdrawals small, and use cash only for small transactions like tipping the bellhop. Travelers visiting remote small towns and rural areas may need to rely more on cash.
Ah but tips I prefer cash. If you tip by card I always imagine that not much of it goes to the front end staff!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I know it's like the 1980s! I have noticed more retail outlets have the large electronic signing tablets now, but I have always thought that the signature on one of those things looks nothing like it does on the back of the card.
As a US resident, I love the comments in this thread. Particularly because I frequently find myself in the company of people here (near my home, not on FT) who blindly believe the US is the best and greatest at everything and always on the forefront of all technology in the world.

As a US resident going abroad, it really depends on where I'm going. But I will usually bring a small amount in cash, <$200, and only change it if I cannot find a local ATM in my first few hours on the ground. I try to use no-forex credit cards whenever possible and minimize cash, but prefer to use local ATMs rather than money changers when possible just based on the exchange rates and lack of fees my bank charges.

In terms of advice to others visiting the US, shop around if you need to convert large sums and require cash, but in large metropolitan areas like NYC, DC, LA, ATL, SFO, your need for everyday cash will be minimal of you have charge/credit cards with magstripes. As backwards and unsecure as our point-of-sale systems are, cards are very widely accepted. Major exceptions are to support our tip-based services like hotel bellmen, shuttle drivers, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by IcHot
As if a retailer is an expert in handwriting?
You hardly need to be an expert to check a signature!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.