Questions/Comments that Drive You Nuts from Infrequent Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions/Comments that Drive You Nuts from Infrequent Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mmff
How is this a comment that drives you nuts? I am still laughing out loud! Awesome story!
It drove me nuts in a manner of speaking.

At the time I was trying very hard to contain myself from bursting
out laughing which the potential passenger likely would have
considered rude given how serious she was.

I was behind an older gentleman up in Canada going through security
last week...

"Do I need to put my bag on the conveyor?"
"Do I need to take my belt off?
"Do I need to take items out of my pockets?"
"Do I need to take my jacket off?"
"Do I need to take my shoes off?"
"Do I need to take my glasses off?"

That one was really starting to drive me nuts. No barker up there
so I guess he was clueless.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I also hate - "Why go back to Japan (or wherever)? Haven't you already been there?"
I can't tell you how many times I have heard that. I suppose I could reply with why do you go your cottage? Haven't you been there enough?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:39 am

where's the bathroom?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by Anrui Ukimi
I was living there at the time, and I was getting panicked messages wondering why I hadn't fled the country and left them to their fate. I kept trying to tell them I lived over 500 miles away from the epicenter, and they wouldn't listen. I did have to reschedule a trip to Tokyo, but that was because I was going to Tokyo Disney, and the parks had closed following the earthquake. It killed the tourist industry for awhile, though. :/
Yep, felt like I was the only western tourist there one month after the quake/tsunami.
Did the research: staying in Tokyo and only going west, 3 weeks there would give me less additional radiation than one flight from New York to Los Angeles. But try explaining that to people...after a while I just stopped telling anyone I was going on vacation to Japan.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Plat, SQ PPS
"Are you American?" when asked by other Americans who are in a foreign country for the first time and looking for any opportunity to talk US supremacy and put down local culture with someone equally enlightened.

When I am foolish enough to answer the question with a 'yes', I am usually treated to some of the most provincial world views in existence. Then when I finally explain that while I am American, I haven't lived in the US for close to 30 years, don't consider it to be the 'best' place in the world, have little respect for its politics and tax system, and just consider it to be my nationality, not my identity, they look at me as if I've betrayed my country and everyone in it.

This isn't to say that by saying 'yes', I never meet other Americans who are genuinely interested in where they are and in sharing opinions and experiences, but it's rare. Guess I gotta get out of those Starwood hotel bars more often.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Yep, felt like I was the only western tourist there one month after the quake/tsunami.
Did the research: staying in Tokyo and only going west, 3 weeks there would give me less additional radiation than one flight from New York to Los Angeles. But try explaining that to people...after a while I just stopped telling anyone I was going on vacation to Japan.
I was sitting in a cafe in Boulder, CO today and the woman next to me was talking about moving from California to Colorado due to radiation from Fukushima. I really should've pointed out that CO has naturally higher background radiation than has ever been measured in Tokyo.

Meanwhile I'm planning my forth trip to Japan since being in Tokyo *during* Fukushima.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I used to work with a lady who was so money and status conscious. She always wanted to know what people did or what cars they drove. When she raised an approving eye at a regular joe who had a nice car I put a spanner in the works and said you do realise that image is not a determination of a person's financial situation. I said they might have a loan for 99% of their fancy car so they don't really own it or possibly a person with a 10 year old car might have different financial priorities and have a fortune in the bank.

This lady would question people she thought were not as financially stable as her because she knew she would illicit an answer that would make her superior. One staff member was getting a new car and she spoke to this lady numerous times over 2 weeks such as... when is it being delivered, what colour is it or just comment such as... isn't I exciting. She finally asked what car she was getting and the lady said "I'm getting an Audi" (approx. 100k). The lady never asked another question about the car. I am sure if she had said she was getting a $10,000 car it would of been mentioned non stop.
Ha, wonder what this lady would say about me? I drive a car that rolled off the assembly line when Bill Clinton was still president almost 17 years ago.

A few months back it had a few problems. I noticed the serpentine belt was getting glazed and felt hard, if you leave a belt like that in long enough it could wear out your pulleys faster, so what did I do when my car had that problem? Went down to NAPA and bought a top of the line belt for 35 bucks and changed it out.

Also at the same time my car was misfiring and stumbling a bit when idling or accelerating on the highway. What did I do? Bought some new spark plugs and spark plug wires and now it runs like a charm.

I plan on keeping this up for the rest of my life. The less money spent on buying or leasing new cars = that much more for travel and retirement. ^
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:51 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I was sitting in a cafe in Boulder, CO today and the woman next to me was talking about moving from California to Colorado due to radiation from Fukushima. I really should've pointed out that CO has naturally higher background radiation than has ever been measured in Tokyo.

Meanwhile I'm planning my forth trip to Japan since being in Tokyo *during* Fukushima.
But then she'd be closer to Three Mile Island!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:16 am
HMO

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
But then she'd be closer to Three Mile Island!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
Originally Posted by Paul56
It drove me nuts in a manner of speaking.

"Do I need to take my belt off?
"Do I need to take my shoes off?"
Whilst I get what you're saying, I've been through some airports in Europe where I don't have to take my shoes and belt off. This is more of a TSA thing.

I was told not to take my shoes and belt off whilst flying through MUC once.

Sometime I haven't a clue what to take off! But with the TSA its pretty much a full monty.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by phunc
Whilst I get what you're saying, I've been through some airports in Europe where I don't have to take my shoes and belt off. This is more of a TSA thing.

I was told not to take my shoes and belt off whilst flying through MUC once.

Sometime I haven't a clue what to take off! But with the TSA its pretty much a full monty.
I don't take my shoes or belt off anywhere through "Europe". Never a problem.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
The post above about endless questions for security is possible even for experienced travelers. On all airlines I have flown about 40,000 miles in the last year and a half so much more than the average traveler, most have been domestic but one international to Europe.

Coming home from Dublin Ireland a few months back I went through security twice, first to get airside at Dublin airport and I didn't have to take off my shoes, then again to get airside for the part of the airport with US bound flights I had to take off my shoes. I understood what was going on as flights US bound had to meet TSA standards but I can understand how others might find it confusing, thinking "But I already went through security"

The only time I was confused was a few days earlier during this trip at LHR, I was puzzled by the camera things we have to look into when entering security. I had never seen anything like that before and felt like such a kettle until the person behind me in line pointed out that I had to stand still and face it so it will take my picture.

I was always used to having a security officer check ID and boarding pass, not look into this camera. What is the point of the camera anyway? I know you have to look into it again as you board your flight to make sure it matches, but seems kinda redundant to me.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:23 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The camera is for domestic and CTA (Ireland, Isle of Man, Channel Islands) flights. As international and CTA passengers mix airside, and there's no ID requirement for domestic flights, and international-international connections don't require you to pass immigration, it's to ensure someone on an international-international connection doesn't do the old switcheroo with a domestic passenger and enter the country illegally.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Worst and most frequent comment ever:

"How can you be a good mother when you travel so much?"

Ouch.. I've ended friendships over this one. I only do 100-150k per year and while yes I am gone internationally at least once a month, I don't know of anyone that says this to my male peers. Parenting and international business are only mutually exclusive if you're a woman
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I don't know of anyone that says this to my male peers.
Well, unfortunately I can assure you that many people do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.