Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Questions/Comments that Drive You Nuts from Infrequent Travelers

Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Friend: "How can you afford to fly international business class?"

Me: "Well, I didn't actually pay that much. I used some of my frequent flyer miles."

Friend: "Oh, I don't have the time or patience to mess with that miles stuff. I don't even belong to a program. I just fly whatever is cheapest."

I also hate - "Why go back to Japan (or wherever)? Haven't you already been there?"
I get that one everytime I goto America, its jealously. Usually you will get "oh that country is crime ridden I would never want to go there" or some kind of similar dig.

I'm not rich or a frequent traveller but I admit, it does annoy me when people/relatives who are often richer than me start asking me where I get all this money to travel from. People always ignorantly assume that we spend Ł10,000 per holiday, if they would bother to save and price around they'd soon realise its not THAT expensive. I'm actually not telling anyone I am going this year because I can't be arsed getting negative comments about the price.

Last edited by Owenc; Mar 28, 2015 at 10:10 am
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
In Latin America it is not possible to go anywhere without everyone asking you to bring them a gift back. Not once did anyone just wish their friend a nice trip.

I used to oblige them but these people think places like South Florida are shopping paradises, you end up musing the appropriateness of a set of stainless steel teaspoons in Target as a gift for someone you barely know.

I now just slope off without telling anyone where I am going
+1 (000,000,000)

My usual response was "no hay campo" (no room in my luggage). Thank Zeus they never discovered I was flying biz class and had 3x 70lb allowance.

Of course that wouldn't work for the ex-wife's "family" -- cannot tell you how much time I spent in some MCO or HNL gift "shop" agonizing over which tchotchkes to buy and for whom.

Meanwhile, for a loooong time I was working in Nicaragua and far too often I heard (usually from an American): what's it like working in Africa?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Amelorn

"Well, you're quite the world traveler, aren't you?"
Answer: Yes.
"Well, aren't you Mr Got-Rocks!"
Answer: Yes.
"Having a trust fund must be nice..."
Answer: Yes. It is.
"How can you afford to fly international business class?"
Answer: I chose my ancestors wisely.
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
2. "Hey buddy, you're cutting the [regular] line to board the plane."
Answer: I'm special.
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
4. "Your family must be rich to go on a vacation every couple months." Travel doesn't have to be expensive. .
Answer: No, just smart.
The only response to passive-aggressive questions is to turn their aggression back on them
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub

"Well you're a travel agent so you get to travel for free."

Umm, I wish!

"You can travel a lot because you don't have kids. It's easy for you to be away."

Some truth there, but traveling a lot can be quite hard. It's as true for me as it is for anyone.

"On vacation again!"

No, I just spent five days spending twelve hours a day cramming in every site and experience at <insert location>, while working early mornings and late nights. I love it, but it's not a vacation.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 pm

The ones that kill me are the stunning ignorance of geography. Actual questions: Ooh, Zambia, is that in Africa or South America? Belize is in South America, right? Are the Galapagos in one of the oceans? Now, where exactly IS Scandinavia? I just want to roll my eyes and hand them an atlas. Did these people even show up at school? I don't mind answering a 7 year old's geography questions, but supposedly well-educated adults--wow!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by NYTA
Certain family members ask me about jet-lag even though I only went one time zone away.
Umm i've travelled one time zone away and got jet lagged. Not very jet lagged admittedly but it was definitely there.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Travelinangel
The ones that kill me are the stunning ignorance of geography. Actual questions: Ooh, Zambia, is that in Africa or South America? Belize is in South America, right? Are the Galapagos in one of the oceans? Now, where exactly IS Scandinavia? I just want to roll my eyes and hand them an atlas. Did these people even show up at school? I don't mind answering a 7 year old's geography questions, but supposedly well-educated adults--wow!
I'm willing to cut older people some slack. After all, when they were in school Zambia was Northern Rhodesia and Belize was British Honduras.

After all, how many of us know where Bechuanaland, Basutoland and and the New Hebrides are?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:09 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I have 4 miles and I fly Southwest once a year to Las vegas. Please find me 6 tickets using miles in business class from Paducah to London for the week of July 4th . I must travel on these dates. if you could just give me the flight numbers I'd appreciate it. I'm such a "noob"! LOL.

Also, what does "Amex MR" mean?
+1 for working PAH into it.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Owenc
I understand this but when I go on Airliners.net and see 20 year olds flying in First I still get jealous and assume they are wealthy. Its pretty hard to accumulate miles, you need to invest money to get some.

I only have 15,000
I have found this to be the case, as well.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Owenc
I understand this but when I go on Airliners.net and see 20 year olds flying in First I still get jealous and assume they are wealthy. Its pretty hard to accumulate miles, you need to invest money to get some.

I only have 15,000
I have found this to be the case, as well.
Outside the US, yes, but accumulating lots of miles cheaply is pretty easy in America, even for college students. They're the ones you see on in the TR forum and a.net writing first class trip reports at 20.

With the miles I earned flying back and forth to Europe for my semester abroad and the bonuses from two credit cards I was able to fly first class to Thailand the summer after graduation.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: QF
"Isn't it dangerous there?"

That's the one that gets to me. People live in bubbles honestly.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
Generally everyone is more interested in where I am going rather than making snide comments about my travel habits. However...

I told my neighbor how I had changed my travel dates to Asia due to a work conflict and that I would be travelling about a month later. I then listened to her tell me that I was foolish, as well as naive about Asia if I traveled there without a money belt. She told me that it was a good thing that I had changed the date, as it would allow me time to purchase the necessary travel tools to ensure my safety.
This comment made me laugh. Let's just say that if you felt the need to get the special 'travel tools' that she suggested it would not require you to reschedule for a MONTH later. Wouldn't it only take a few hours to get your money belt and other necessities! lol
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Umm i've travelled one time zone away and got jet lagged. Not very jet lagged admittedly but it was definitely there.
Was is it jet lag due to the time zones or just tiredness from travelling. The next time zone away from me is half an hour difference!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Outside the US, yes, but accumulating lots of miles cheaply is pretty easy in America, even for college students. They're the ones you see on in the TR forum and a.net writing first class trip reports at 20.

With the miles I earned flying back and forth to Europe for my semester abroad and the bonuses from two credit cards I was able to fly first class to Thailand the summer after graduation.
I had incredible difficulty as a (2008-12) college student getting a basic CC, let alone a mileage card. I think it might have gone easier had I been an AU on a parent's card, but my father is an ex-bankrupt that I am not close with and my (late) mother was so traumatized by the bill collectors that she never touched credit.

I had studied in the UK for four years. A year's worth of discount Y miles on DL amounted to squat. My earnings on BA for 2nd-4th year were negligible at 25% flown until BA started crediting 100% for the latter half of that time. The miles rolled in once I could find the cash for paid J and get a big-boy CC. or two.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gamecock
My DW asks many of the same safety questions frequently. She expresses great angst about trips to exotic places.

I make her go anyway.
I misread your answer. I thought you said you make her go AWAY!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.