Reload this Page >

Middle seats front bulkhead - other passengers barging through

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle seats front bulkhead - other passengers barging through

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
Whoa, Im sorry I misunderstood. For some reason, I thought OP was referring to people crossing just during boarding.

Yeah, if people are doing this during flight they should be stopped.

Thanks in part to FT, I haven't flown long-haul Y for almost a decade . I have forgotten the struggle of the people.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:10 pm

I was on a public transport recently where some young girls who were sitting commented on the "Butt crack" smell coming from a man whose rear was facing them.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:52 pm

lol now thats a real bummer
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PHLisa
I'd like to think I'm not a jerk, but unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is a throughway.
You are, in fact, misunderstanding. it's not a throughway. Go through the galley.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:25 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by bumfluff
Whoa, Im sorry I misunderstood. For some reason, I thought OP was referring to people crossing just during boarding.

Yeah, if people are doing this during flight they should be stopped.

Thanks in part to FT, I haven't flown long-haul Y for almost a decade . I have forgotten the struggle of the people.
Even during boarding. You don't cross between regular seats, do you?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I'd like to think I'm not a jerk, but unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is a throughway. If I'm on 1 aisle and I need to cross to the other side of the cabin, this is the only path, right? And it is wider than a regular row of seats, as it is bulkhead, so it's not the same. I'm thinking of an international configuration where say, there are bathrooms on both sides, but for whatever reason one side is unavailable (drink cart, etc). I would definitely cross over using that space, although I would try not to step on anyone's bags or feet.
Why do you 'need' to cross to the other side of the cabin? Do FAs ask you to volunteer to be ballast or something?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by zitsky
I think it depends on the country. US is butt in face and Europe is crotch in face, or vice versa.
I would of thought it would depend on how hot the seated person is!!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:17 am

It also doesn't help that airlines are starting to eliminate spaces where you can cross between the two aisles so that people have nowhere else to cross. For example, I was in the bulkhead behind the middle lavs on an AC A333, and the only place in the entire Y cabin you can cross between the two aisles is by the rear lavs. The middle lavs were 4 across with the two between the aisles being back to back with nowhere to cross between the aisles (the bulkhead was basically the side of the lav). It was a huge problem since there isn't a good way to check to see if the other lavs are empty and I was being stepped on the entire flight. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I endedup in one of the middle middle bulkhead seats on a BA 777 one time - and was having the same problem with people barging over my feet and belongingsh to cross between the aisles as the toilets were just in front of it.

After the second person did it, the person next to me dropped the bassinet table and put our feet up on the bulkhead...... Great roadblock created.... No one could get past the bassinet table without being able to Limbo dance round it!

With a toilet being available on both aisles, as well as more at the back, where passengers could freely cross through the galley, there was no need to barge through a seating row!

Last edited by CarolynUK; Mar 29, 2015 at 7:23 am
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:06 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by steveman518
It also doesn't help that airlines are starting to eliminate spaces where you can cross between the two aisles so that people have nowhere else to cross. For example, I was in the bulkhead behind the middle lavs on an AC A333, and the only place in the entire Y cabin you can cross between the two aisles is by the rear lavs. The middle lavs were 4 across with the two between the aisles being back to back with nowhere to cross between the aisles (the bulkhead was basically the side of the lav). It was a huge problem since there isn't a good way to check to see if the other lavs are empty and I was being stepped on the entire flight. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper.
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
With a toilet being available on both aisles, as well as more at the back, where passengers could freely cross through the galley, there was no need to barge through a seating row!
I must agree with steveman - at least Air Canada seems to be removing the intermediate galley, and you can only change aisles through the back. I saw the same layout at an AC B777.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
CX 777 Premium economy cabin has only one toilet on the right side of the aircraft. If you want to use it you have to cross the bulkhead row 30 unless you want to walk down to economy row 45 to use a toilet there.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I attempted this route once and concluded that it was in fact an antisocial invasion of other people's space. So I haven't done it again.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by ckx2
CX 777 Premium economy cabin has only one toilet on the right side of the aircraft. If you want to use it you have to cross the bulkhead row 30 unless you want to walk down to economy row 45 to use a toilet there.
I was talking about my personal experience on the BA 777 which has a toilet on either side - right beside the emergency exits.

The bulkhead row there has a bit more legroom than the rest of Economy - but it's not wide enough to allow those seated there even normal legroom AND a thoroughfare. Anyone climbing through is not only stepping on seated pax feet and belongings - quite often they steady themselves by grabbing their seat backs as well. A total invasion of space, which my seatmate and I stopped by lowering and using the bassinet table for our meals and clutter, as well as using our bags as footrests!

As there are occupied lights for the loos clearly visible on the bulkhead, they don't need to cross to see if the other one is free - but in any case there are more loos at the rear of the plane -4 in total - as well as access to the other aisle through the corridor outside the galley!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

I'd like to think I'm not a jerk, but unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is a throughway. If I'm on 1 aisle and I need to cross to the other side of the cabin, this is the only path, right? And it is wider than a regular row of seats, as it is bulkhead, so it's not the same. I'm thinking of an international configuration where say, there are bathrooms on both sides, but for whatever reason one side is unavailable (drink cart, etc). I would definitely cross over using that space, although I would try not to step on anyone's bags or feet.
In the past, its been bulkhead and then alleyway and toilets behind this.
Theres not a great deal of space. Would you think its ok to shuffle across a normal row just because you wanted to swap sides? What do you do on a single aisle aircraft if you want to pass?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
On one TPAC: After two climbs and request not to do so within the first hour of the flight, my well timed lift of my feet from my footrest/carry on and his faceplant onto the floor ended the intrusion.
Unforgivable considering it was the middle section front bulkhead of the 747 where there is a galley and a cross over just on the other side of the bulkhead wall.
This is what I usually see. Middle section.

You can see people. There a queue for toilets on the one side and you can see the looking thinking can I go for it? Then suddenly some will just bolt and dive through if they can.

I've had people tutt at me in the past when they've tripped over my feet or asked me to move my bag.

I now ensure there is a huge bag wall somewhere there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.