Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

travel to a strange city and get a 34 in 30 ticket... fine is $235... ripoff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

travel to a strange city and get a 34 in 30 ticket... fine is $235... ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by catsongea
I don't live in the states, but I saw John Oliver on tv last night on his show 'last week tonight' talking about municipalities in the states that make a lot of their income from fines. I don't think this link will work very long but here it is... https://www.youtube.com/user/LastWeekTonight
Last Week Tonight has an official Youtube channel. Don't worry, it'll be around.

Here's a direct link to the video referenced above.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:13 pm

they won the battle...

I once received a bogus $150 ticket in backwaterville Idaho - so I will never spend another cent in that state. Sure they got $150 out of me but I will never stop at a restaurant or stay at an hotel which is a pity because Sun Valley is place I had always wanted to ski - they missed the tax revenue on more than a week's worth of hotel rooms and 6 nights of restaurants for two that would have easily seen me contribute, happily, to the state's coffers well and truly more than the measly $150 fine.

These days having Colorado plates attracts interstate attention because of the liberal Amendment 64 marijuana laws - c'est la vie.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
most speed limits are well below the appropriate maximum safe speed . Also why would anyone fight a speeding ticket even if they were really speeding? Because speeders bear the disproportionate amount of tickets and get penalized more severely by insurance companies as a result. While people who weave between lanes, drive distracted or sleepy, tailgate, don't use turn signals are bigger dangers that get ticketed as much as they should be.

Usually if a ticket costs more than 300, hire a local attorney to fight the ticket and usually you will get a reduction. if it is GA, ask them to bring the speed to under 15, pay the fine, and it wont show up on your record.

Having such a heavy fine for 4 miles per hour extra is ridiculous when there are no other infractions involved in the same incident. Some states have rules where radar is acceptable, but only for certain ranges above the speed limit. Which means, they can ticket you for radar, but it can be used as the sole evidence to convict you ONLY if the speed is higher than a certain range above the limit. In GA< it is 9mph. Radar has plenty of loopholes in some states. If you want to fight it, it's worth to effort to figure out if any exist.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:01 am

$235 might seem excessive, but you were over the speed limit.
Here in the UK, the allowance is 10% of the signposted speed limit.
You could try saying that the speedo was only showing 30
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
If he ran the car's license plates through his computer, it presumably came back as being owned by the rental car company.
Plus there's the issue that 90% of all rental cars *look* like rental cars. Base model Chevy with the little bar code in the side window...that's probably me, and it was probably the last thing left on the EA at National...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:34 pm

Got a speeding ticket in TX (TX resident) a couple months ago (I was speeding and it was a speed trap and I should have known better...).

A co-worker recommended contacting an attorney that specializes in traffic tickets to at least try and get the points removed. The attorney was $50 and they are going to court some time in April for the ticket, so I'll see what happens. My thought is that $50 is a small fee to pay to try and get the ticket dismissed or reduced and/or no points.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA
So, OP, ignore my advice; I am advised that it is the worst of all advice given. Chagrined but educated. The advice of saneman and some others seem logical to me: find a local lawyer to handle this for you.

In defense of my bad, i.e., outdated, advice, I can only say that it has beeen some three decades since I've put myself in a situation requiring worrrying about this sort of thing.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
If he ran the car's license plates through his computer, it presumably came back as being owned by the rental car company.
In many states rental cars plates begin with the letter Z

[Since "vanity" plates exist, they can also begin with Z]
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by TravelingBear
I once got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign, apparently, since I didn't recall doing it and the cop pulled me over a ways down the road.
I got pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. I tried to argue the fact, saying to the cop that I almost stopped, just not completely, and what's the difference? He then pulled out his baton and started beating me with it, I said what the hell are you doing?

He said "Would you like me to almost stop, or stop completely?"

Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:21 am

thank your stars you did not get the ticket here in Orange County, California. A friend did not stop fully at a stop sign (rolling stop) and the fine was $550.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AppleApe
wait a second... are you spying on my house or are you psychic?
how could you have possibly known that I had an out-of-state
license plate on my car when I got the ticket?
I can't remember the last rental car I rented that had a license plate the same state of where I rented from.

Write the check, move on.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:06 am
Suspended

What down is this?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ou81two
What down is this?
3rd & 5
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:53 pm

Smile

Wow, cant believe all the advice being given here and flaming the OP for going over the limit. First up - you were "allegedly" going 34 in 30. May have been radar,ladar, lidar whatever - it is still "allegedly". The cop can only give you a citation. You are innocent until proven guilty - that's the fundamental US law. Only the judge can declare you guilty - not the cop. He can only write a ticket.

Remember - if you pay the fine - you admit you are guilty - plus pay the fine- plus your insurance premiums go up. Why would you do that ?

So, contact a local lawyer for that city. This is the best option . Most of the times they will get your ticket dismissed with various available options based on the city/county . They usually charge you a small fee and will try to get the ticket dismissed plus no points on your license. This is the key here - having no points on your license.

Options may include deferred adjudication or converting the moving violation to a single or multiple non moving violations - so that you pay the fine but have no points on your license and it keeps the ticket off your record. After all , frankly - what they are interested is in your money with minimum fuss or hassle !

Hope this helps. Contact a local lawyer ASAP and he will take care of it !
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by deltheking

So, contact a local lawyer for that city.

Hope this helps. Contact a local lawyer ASAP and he will take care of it !
Gosh what's worse? Paying the police or paying a lawyer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.