Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do hotel managers read Flyertalk ?

Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Do individual hotel managers read the FlyerTalk comments? Have you noticed any hotel changes as a result of FlyerTalk? I know they read TripAdvisor as managers comment on different posts.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:42 pm

I've noticed a few hotel managers respond to posts throughout the years, but it's not terribly common.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
I wouldn't be surprised if hotel managers lurk on the site as a source of instant feedback. Flyertalk posts often seem to come up near the top of Google search results.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Interesting .....
Old May 19, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WillTravel, you would be surprised

there is also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Alerts
Old May 19, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Oceanbound222
Do individual hotel managers read the FlyerTalk comments? Have you noticed any hotel changes as a result of FlyerTalk? I know they read TripAdvisor as managers comment on different posts.
I'm sure some do read comments. But given the hyperbole and vitriole that are present in a high percentage of posts that are critical of the hotel, I doubt that changes are made.

Example. If I were a hotel manager and I were to read a post saying "I stayed at the Tchiowa hotel and found that the restrooms in the lounge area were dirty" then I'd look into it.

However, if I were to read a post saying "the staff at Tchiowa Hotel are a bunch of incompetent morons who deliberately soiled the restrooms because they don't care about people and are just trying to screw the public and I'm filing a DOT complaint and looking for compensation under EU764 and I hope the place burns to the ground because it's the worst hotel in the history of the world and I don't understand why anyone ever stays there" then I might not actually finish reading it.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Most FA do it even know of FT, and Hotel people forget it, most in the travel industry never heard of FT.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: MH Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold, QF Silver, Hertz 5 star

I'm a good friend of a GM of an international chain hotel and when I mentioned FT he admitted he'd never heard of it. I'll check with him on my next trip to see if he ever looked at it. I doubt it.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:55 am
Suspended

Dito. Among my friends in the luxury industy, no one heard of FT, certainly no industry relevance in hotels.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Individual property GMs: I wouldn't expect it too much.
Corporate representatives: they're definitely here.

The hotel manager/owner responses on TA seem to be from small independent hotels, B&B's, and the like. I don't often see Marriott GM's posting on TA, although I suppose it's probably happened somewhere.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:22 pm

Well this is FlyerTalk, not HotelGuestTalk...

That said, of course good managers should keep up with any public chatter about their properties.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I recently received a PM from the GM of a newly-opened Hyatt when I mentioned I knew a large group of people staying there shortly after opening.

He offered up his contact information in case they needed anything during their stay. I thought that was a nice gesture.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by Oceanbound222
Trip Advisor would be more likely.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

social media (and website) awareness continues to increase at astronomical rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Alerts
emails to the user when it finds new results—such as web pages, newspaper articles, or blogs—that match the user's search term.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are a few hotels here that have official representative accounts and sometimes post. I immediately think of Westin Tokyo (some customer service person responsible for elites) and the GMs of the Four Points at LAX and the Westin LAX. I'm sure there are other examples, plus sometimes FT comments are brought to the hotel's attention through the corporate chain-level representatives here on FT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.