Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

which airport is the worst when it comes to chasing away cars at arrivals area?

Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think all the bigger ones are the more diligent about it, since it's first and foremost s traffic problem.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:43 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I assume that your definition of "worst" is "more diligent or aggressive" in doing so. If this is correct, LAX is right up there.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite

They really keep you moving at ORD.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What do you mean by "worst"? Do you mean the airports that do the best job of unclogging the arrivals area so that the rest of us can get picked up?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:59 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
I assume that your definition of "worst" is "more diligent or aggressive" in doing so. If this is correct, LAX is right up there.
LAX is scary. Those airport police won't cut anyone any slack. Move or else
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
deinfine "else" ???

I was at ___ airport last night. (left out name of airport because I'm planning to file an official complaint, but I will say that it was a hub for one of the Big 3) The line of cars going into the arrivals area was nearly 0.3 miles long, according to the trip odometer on my car. We moved at a steady 10mph. By the time I got under the roof of the terminal, I saw why we were moving along so quickly. Three airport cops on Segways were hitting EVERY car with their BATONS and yelling "move it, move it, move it" loudly.(like the scariest drill sargeant in the world) By the time my car was near one of them, he struck my right rearview mirror and screamed "move it! Swedish boy!"(presumably he saw that my car was a Volvo XC90.... Swedish) As I kept moving, I saw the other cop, also on Segway, hit the windshield of the minivan behind me, but I couldn't make out what the female officer was yelling.

This morning, I saw that the rearview mirror glass was cracked and the mirror housing had a big scratch on the paint.

Time to get myself a dashcam. I think the airport police's behavior was totally unacceptable.

Last edited by AppleApe; Mar 8, 2015 at 11:58 am
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
They're really aggressive at my home airport of RDU. It's like a whistle symphony down there at busy times.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:16 pm

ATL used to be pretty bad, had videos of an officer body slamming a lady, etc. It's now a lot better since they put in the "cell phone" lot. I would guess the worst airports now may correlate with those with no cell phone lot.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA, B6, a little DL here and there
Boston - all terminals, but C is the worst. Cell phone lot is way too small and out of the way, so people try to park curbside only to be chased away by MA state police (they patrol all Massport property). If I know it will be busy when I get back, I park at the airport or get a car service--I'd never make anyone wait for me under those conditions!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Thank goodness. LAX is a clusterflog much of the time.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

A few years ago, I saw Al Pacino getting off a big SUV at UA. It wasn't really that busy at the time, but a cop came over and told the driver to move on. Pacino's feet had barely reached the curb at the time. Several people obviously recognized him. One of them said to the cop: "don't you know who he is? take it easy..." That only infuriated the cop who replied "yea, I know.. so what if he is the Godfather!!!???" Pacino just looked on with a curious/amused look while he signed autograph for an elderly lady.

Guess even the stars don't get a break at LAX! (or perhaps the REAL stars only fly private and don't have to deal with it)
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AppleApe
SFO is quite aggressive. They always have 2 or 3 police carts going back and forth chasing people away. If you're not actively picking up a passenger (meaning doors open and loading luggage) they run you off. No hanging out and waiting.

Even in the limo area. If you booked a limo you have to call them and they'll send the limo that is parked nearby.

But I don't call that "worst". I call it "best". It's a traffic issue and a security issue.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I would say the worst is the airport that doesn't chase away parkers at the curb.

I find it infuriating when I'm at the curb waiting to be picked up except my ride doesn't have space to pull in because people are squatting in the space, with no visible traveler in sight to pick up.

Now THAT's the worst!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Departures is almost always better for pickups than arrivals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.