Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

which airport is the worst when it comes to chasing away cars at arrivals area?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which airport is the worst when it comes to chasing away cars at arrivals area?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I would say the worst is the airport that doesn't chase away parkers at the curb.

I find it infuriating when I'm at the curb waiting to be picked up except my ride doesn't have space to pull in because people are squatting in the space, with no visible traveler in sight to pick up.

Now THAT's the worst!
Amen! This is a problem at JFK. The traffic guys just stand around while the whole area becomes a Mongolian cluster dance and you can't even see through all the cars to watch for your ride, nor can your driver see you, and then you have to wade through all the traffic to get to the car, which isn't real safe. Once in a while a cop will show up and yell at the traffic people to do their jobs LOL
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:16 pm

how about people hogging space at YYZ, then they block others so nobody can get out by parking on the side of parked vehicles......
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cdn1
how about people hogging space at YYZ, then they block others so nobody can get out by parking on the side of parked vehicles......
That is called double parking, and is not unique to airports.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunnyjl
Amen! This is a problem at JFK. The traffic guys just stand around while the whole area becomes a Mongolian cluster dance and you can't even see through all the cars to watch for your ride, nor can your driver see you, and then you have to wade through all the traffic to get to the car, which isn't real safe. Once in a while a cop will show up and yell at the traffic people to do their jobs LOL
^^^^
JFK has a huge problem with this, especially T4 when all the international arrivals come in.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
SXM keeps a tow truck parked outside. They're downright gleeful about hauling off cars.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had an awful curbside experience last week in PSP, of all places. It took me all of 90 seconds to unload golf clubs and 3 bags from the rental car. I thought the airport policeman was going to have an embolism; he threatened my 61-yo wife with arrest for failing to drive away while I was still unloading. Traffic was sparse, to say the least.

What a tool. I suspect he had some sort of animus toward heterosexuals.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by airplanegod
^^^^
JFK has a huge problem with this, especially T4 when all the international arrivals come in.
This is quite odd - I would think that an airport as busy as JFK would be on this. Instead, it seems like various people are parked, wandering about. They leave their cars, gab on the phone, and no one seems to care - right in front of the officers. It's actually really perplexing.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
At least y'all haven't locked your keys in your running car in the outside of 2 drop off lanes at SEA. Worst hour of my life waiting for AAA to show up.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
While that makes sense, if you allow the cop discretion then you will end up with people simply screaming at the cop "You let him park, but not me! Why not you sexist, racist, agist, fascist pig??" Arguments, fights, lawsuits, etc. are just not worth it. Simple rule: No parking or stopping unless actively boarding passengers or luggage. Apply it to everyone all the time.
...that is what we have at MCO. Selective enforcement.

I do the departures pick up, especially at night.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Seems like a decent cell phone lot should cure most of these ills. Airports that don't have a convenient cell phone lot could probably offer 30 minutes free short term parking and kill a lot of the traffic.

On the rare cases I'm having someone pick me up at any kind of major airport, we meet at departures. If feasible, I select some random non-hub airline's departure area. At ORD, I usually tell my ride to meet me at DL, upper level, even though I've never actually flown in there on DL. At MCI, I always go to an end of whatever terminal I'm in.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze
FNJ, surely?
Old May 16, 2016, 5:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's a new one: I'm driving for Uber this summer while I study for the bar exam. I was dropping a customer at RDU today and I pulled up to the departures level, got his bag out of the car and shook his hand. All of a sudden an RDU Cop showed up and demanded to know who I was driving for, then told me I had to drop customers on the lower level. It was 1 Pm and there was almost no traffic, way to be, buddy
Old May 16, 2016, 6:06 pm

I wish all airports were diligent about this. It's a safety risk and a huge annoyance. Safety (see Brussels style attack) on a larger scale and for the people who have to dart around cars just to get in and out of the airport. Last time I was being picked up a dude straight up parked and walked in from the curb. Just left the car. Around him were countless cars that each sat for 10+ minutes. I got in early and had to wait awhile and of course once my ride arrived, I had to walk out to be picked up because the curb space was all taken. And yes, we have a cell phone lot. People are just dummies sometimes.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:07 am
Suspended

LAX!!

Luckily the cops/security are ontop of it. However, the car culture of LA has alot to do with the sense people have that they can idle in them and block traffic.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
Seems like a decent cell phone lot should cure most of these ills. Airports that don't have a convenient cell phone lot could probably offer 30 minutes free short term parking and kill a lot of the traffic.

On the rare cases I'm having someone pick me up at any kind of major airport, we meet at departures. If feasible, I select some random non-hub airline's departure area. At ORD, I usually tell my ride to meet me at DL, upper level, even though I've never actually flown in there on DL. At MCI, I always go to an end of whatever terminal I'm in.
On this subject, a tactic of mine for getting a cab faster when I arrive is to go to the departures level and get one that just dropped off, rather than getting into a taxi line on the arrivals level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.