Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much did Your Honeymoon cost?

Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

How much did your honeymoon cost... in real money you handed over, not miles & points

Was watching a program and it said 5k was average in Ireland... made me wonder how much people splash out
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:13 am

Does that include the high maintenance costs and
divorce sometime later? ...or just the honeymoon?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
~$22k

$9k for F to Tahiti.
$1k for roundtrip Tahiti to Bora Bora.
$8200 for FS Bora Bora overwater bungalow (8 nights - stay 4 get 1 free promo)
$4k for food, spa, activities

This is probably the only personal trip where I couldn't use miles/points and had to bite the bullet.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silver-tls
~$22k

$9k for F to Tahiti.
$1k for roundtrip Tahiti to Bora Bora.
$8200 for FS Bora Bora overwater bungalow (8 nights - stay 4 get 1 free promo)
$4k for food, spa, activities

This is probably the only personal trip where I couldn't use miles/points and had to bite the bullet.
wow!

I blew 14.5k on mine, that was with quite a bit of hacking. spent 6 weeks pimping in asia.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond

You grossly overpaid. You could have bought points flat out for 1/3 of that.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
In 1990 I paid almost $15,000 AUD, hate to think what that is in today's money, it was a lot back then...

F class to two weeks on an adults only island on the Great Barrier Reef where everything was included in the price; food, alcohol and accommodation...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Mine will be somewhere near $1400.

Two round trip flights to St. George, UT = $540
Rental car for 4 days = $170
AirBNB for 4 days = $360
National Park Fees = $50
Gas = $100
Food/Booze = $300

To each their own when it comes to your idea of luxury.

(For the record, most of the travel we do together is international and quite a bit more exotic. I did propose on top of a mountain in the Republic of Georgia. Just wanted a change of pace.)

Chris
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Nothing...

J tix on points.
Hotel was compensation from an incident at another one of their properties.
OK renting a car in Maui for 2 weeks cost me about $500.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Geez must have been a pretty bad incident, but okay to stay again later at another of their hotels? which hotel did you stay at in Maui
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
We did TLV-LHR-FRA-KIX-NRT-HKG-BKK-USM-BKK-SIN-AUK-AKL-PPT-BOB-PPT-LAX-ORD (in Y, although we got upgraded a few times) and stayed in 5* hotels the whole way for about $10k and over a 1 month period but that was 16 years ago.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:06 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold

In 2008 we did SEA-LAX-PPT in Y on AS+TN, ferry rides and inter-island transportation, 7 nights in Sofitel Moorea Superior OW bungalow (upgraded from Beach bungalow for part of the stay), breakfasts, and NY dinner for about $9K. Probably spent another $1,5K on food, sightseeing, etc. The same trip would cost at least $2k cheaper now
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:09 am

Mine was around $600, and if I had known about points and miles by then it probably would have been closer to $50. Drove to Park City for 5 days, got a Vrbo there for around $500 IIRC. We were so cheap at the time that I remember we bought groceries for breakfast and lunch so we wouldn't spend as much eating out. It certainly wasn't a luxury trip but we had a great time. Ah, being young and in love

Its crazy thinking about how different things are now that I can spend as much on one night at a hotel as we spent on our entire honeymoon.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:24 am

Around $4,500 cash out the door in March/April 2014 3 days in London, 1 in Abu Dhabi, 6 in the Maldives....

Flights: BA in J MCO-LGW, AUH-LHR-PHL and EY LHR-AUH-MLE-AUH in Diamond First... BA companion pass + miles + over $2k in taxes... AA miles on EY
Hotels: all on points, though the RT seaplane to the Conrad was roughly $1000
Food, whale shark excursion, etc was the rest.

I actually pulled up my CC statement from last year to check on what I spent for a friend who is doing a similar trip a few days ago. Total was just under $4500.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:34 am

2k give or take.

1k on tickets LAX-HNL, Hotel on points for the week, so just Car rental and food/drinks/souvenirs.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Mine was around $600, and if I had known about points and miles by then it probably would have been closer to $50.
Haha absolutely, my honeymoon was the reason why I joined FT and started to try to learn how to make our money go further. I did work out the full cost of our trip was well over 30k (if we didnt hack it and use points/miles) but it would be naive to say we would have spent that, we would have just stayed in less extreme luxury I think, on the same budget.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.