Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

May not make it to the International flight due to snowstorm!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:44 am
Original Poster

My nephew is flying into Washington National on Thursday on a morning flight on Delta from MSP. Later that day he is scheduled to fly to London UK on British Airways. We thought the six hours between flights would be plenty and it does not usually snow in March in DC.

Two different tickets, two different airlines that have no connection or alliance.

Here is what I expect to happen. His morning flight into Washington will be cancelled and he will not make it to Dulles to take his British Airways flight to London. British Airways will call him a no show (on the flight from Dulles to London) and his vacation will be lost. He has prepaid for much of his land costs in advance with no cancellations allowed.

If he can't make it to Washington- due the upcoming snow storm on Thursday, will the typical airline (like British) offer to fly him out the next day, at no additional fees? (His flight to London from Washington Dulles is on the lowest available fare and he has no frequent flyer status.)

Has something like this happened to you or friends and if so, how did it work out?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:00 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

Can you buy a ticket out of msp for tonight and get a hotel in IAD? Likely not cheap but better than a total loss.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

Can he reschedule Delta flight to today to arrive ahead of the storm? Get a hotel in DC and then he is positioned for the BA flight tomorrow.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Check for weather waivers for earlier flights.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:11 pm

Your assumptions are correct. I would not count on BA rebooking him for free, especially if he is significantly late.

I would make an effort to get in sooner. Airport hotels at IAD are oftern quite cheap. I would see it as a reasonable insurance policy against substantial loss.

6 hours does not seem like a lot of time given DC traffic, two airports and seperate reservations.

There seems to be a waiver on Delta. Look into this and see if you can change flights to fly the day before.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by bdohmen
Can you buy a ticket out of msp for tonight and get a hotel in IAD? Likely not cheap but better than a total loss.
Best advice. Act fast - many people are trying to move their flights into and out of DC to today.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:17 pm

Looks like the remaining flights into DCA from MSP are cancelled tonight. The snow is scheduled to start in the early morning and then continue through until Thursday night. If so, there is a chance the BA inbound flight to IAD will get cancelled too. I'd monitor the inbound intently throughout the day and call BA the moment it cancels and try to get rebooked on ORD-LHR. It looks like you can get a walk-up ticket for mid-200s from MSP-ORD.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Best advice. Act fast - many people are trying to move their flights into and out of DC to today.
Too late and his boss would not allow him off work today and this evening, so it could not be changed.

Has anyone missed a flight because their flight that got them to their international departure city was cancelled?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:24 pm

It may not typically snow in D.C. in March (though in my experience that area can be surprisingly wintry through March only to switch to sweltering summer heat after a 3 week spring) but wouldn't significant snow anywhere in the Upper Midwest - which is far from atypical in early March - also have spelled potential doom for his trip due to the likely delays/cancellations at MSP resulting from it?

I think he took a bit of a risk but then it's difficult to blame him for it, Mother Nature can disrupt aviation any time of the year whether it's snow, ice, tornadoes, tropical storms, volcanoes or earthquakes and tsunamis.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by librarygal
Too late and his boss would not allow him off work today and this evening, so it could not be changed.

Has anyone missed a flight because their flight that got them to their international departure city was cancelled?
If BA doesn't cancel, you are going to have throw yourself at that mercy as from their perspective it is no different than any other no-show. You may be accommodated for free, you may be forced to pay a change fee. Part of it depends on your fare rules and part depends on the mercy of whomever you are dealing with. See this earlier discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nnections.html
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:35 pm

Is he on the earlier flight to LHR? If so, BA might be a bit flexible and put him on the later flight.

Delta 5758, the 10:42 flight, has been cancelled tomorrow.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the 0730 MSP-DCA (DL 1464) is still showing on time for Thurs 5 Mar

given the projected snow timeline (start ~0500, taper off ~1500), I suspect BA may operate ... there are a couple of DCA-->IAD public transportation options if he doesn't want to take a taxi (which would likely be $60-70)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
My nephew is flying into Washington National on Thursday on a morning flight on Delta from MSP. Later that day he is scheduled to fly to London UK on British Airways. We thought the six hours between flights would be plenty and it does not usually snow in March in DC.

Two different tickets, two different airlines that have no connection or alliance.

Here is what I expect to happen. His morning flight into Washington will be cancelled and he will not make it to Dulles to take his British Airways flight to London. British Airways will call him a no show (on the flight from Dulles to London) and his vacation will be lost. He has prepaid for much of his land costs in advance with no cancellations allowed.

If he can't make it to Washington- due the upcoming snow storm on Thursday, will the typical airline (like British) offer to fly him out the next day, at no additional fees? (His flight to London from Washington Dulles is on the lowest available fare and he has no frequent flyer status.)

Has something like this happened to you or friends and if so, how did it work out?
Just out of curiousity, why did they choose to buy separate tickets?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Yes, a couple of times. It's not an unknown occurrence in Canada. But I've not had it happen on two separate tickets as in regions with frequent winter weather delays that type of booking is a risky proposition.

Snow in DC isn't common in March but it sure is in MSP. It was not prudent to have booked two separate tickets.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Just out of curiousity, why did they choose to buy separate tickets?
And why didn't they buy travel insurance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.