Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the likelihood of electric outlets on airplanes in the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the likelihood of electric outlets on airplanes in the future?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the problem is not the voltage. 110V is ok. 10 amps is too much power to pipe to all the seats. 10 amps to 400 seats is 4000 amps, which is 400kva. that enough to heat a couple houses, or fry a few passengers
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What type of appliance are you plugging in which draws 10A @ 110V??

That's like putting a toaster at every seat, not a computer.

Much more common is .75-1.75A at 110V. Still a lot of power to push to every seat but not nearly as crazy as 10A.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Im almost certain an AA flight I was on had them--pretty awesome!!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
What type of appliance are you plugging in which draws 10A @ 110V??

That's like putting a toaster at every seat, not a computer.

Much more common is .75-1.75A at 110V. Still a lot of power to push to every seat but not nearly as crazy as 10A.
well, 2 amps a seat is more than a toaster a row.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Brko
It sure would be nice to not have to worry about battery life on my laptop during long flights. Will it ever happen? Why or why not?
They're common in business and first. Coach, I wouldn't hold my breath. Major cost to install. Buy a back up power supply.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
They're common in business and first. Coach, I wouldn't hold my breath. Major cost to install. Buy a back up power supply.
Really depends on the airline, but most new wide body planes being delivered have power nose-to-tail. And most full service airlines are retrofitting to add it in. Even Scoot has power nose-to-tail on its new 787-9 planes, though it is a paid feature, not a freebie.

On narrow-body planes the US carriers are split a bit. But most have at least some planes with power and are moving to add more.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:13 pm

American is at nearly 100% of their fleet having some or all econ seats having either USB or universal plugs. Unfortunately US Airways has only one aircraft type with power the A333.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Emirates have them on most planes.
They also have USB power outlets which was very handy coming back from HK, as i had lost my power adapter
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: BA
It's not as straightforward as it might sound, as other transport operators, like rail, have found. The main problem is that people plug unsuitable items in, draw too much current, miswired, bend the power socket itself,, stick hairclips in, whatever (ask any hotel electrician), and in an aircraft you can't risk having an electrical fire resulting from this. So there are all sorts of fuses, circuit breakers, and other protections needed. This then gives the problem that if the cutout operates, how do you reset it, or even find it needs doing. You can't automatically reset before every flight because the fault may be in the installation itself (the hairclips one etc). It's all ultimately fixable but it's weight, expense, something more to maintain, and the source of complaints if it's cut out because of what somebody did the previous flight.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
It's not as straightforward as it might sound, as other transport operators, like rail, have found. The main problem is that people plug unsuitable items in, draw too much current, miswired, bend the power socket itself,, stick hairclips in, whatever (ask any hotel electrician), and in an aircraft you can't risk having an electrical fire resulting from this. So there are all sorts of fuses, circuit breakers, and other protections needed. This then gives the problem that if the cutout operates, how do you reset it, or even find it needs doing. You can't automatically reset before every flight because the fault may be in the installation itself (the hairclips one etc). It's all ultimately fixable but it's weight, expense, something more to maintain, and the source of complaints if it's cut out because of what somebody did the previous flight.
I do find that most businesses would be easy to run if we didn't have any customers! Seriously, though, I hadn't thought of all those issues which I can see will be beyond the abilities of the cleaning crew to find or fix.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:29 am

With more and more of the population being diagnosed with sleep apnea, the long haul flights are going to need outlets to power CPAP machines. A friend of mine recently took a red eye flight, and he picked his flight based on which plane had power outlets. I'm sure he's not the only one who does that.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: BA
Yes, you don't give this work to a bottom-bidder cleaning company, that's for the base engineer. We don't have flight engineers any more.

Those from the UK will be familiar with "PAT testing", that is Portable Appliance Testing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_appliance_testing which is exactly designed to test anything "portable" before it is connected to the power at a workplace (think cabin crew). The whole reason behind this was all the electrical fires such devices traditionally caused. A rental company that hires out electric items will always test each one before each rental. The aircraft electrical supply has to effectively self-test everything plugged into it. Which they do. But it's expensive.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WHBM
My favorite safeguard for these kinds of problems is on Amtrak trains in the US, where each car is divided into quarters for outlet power, and electrical faults on each circuit are managed by a simple household GFCI outlet installed next to one of the seats.

More than once I've been in this seat and had an attendant ask me to get up so he/she could reset the circuit.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Originally Posted by ROCAT
American is at nearly 100% of their fleet having some or all econ seats having either USB or universal plugs. Unfortunately US Airways has only one aircraft type with power the A333.
I'm remember seeing that propaganda as part of their "New American" campaign a couple years back. Still have yet to sit in a 738 with USB or universal plugs in steerage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.