No Smoking on US Flights - 25th Anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Smoking on US Flights - 25th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I remember my first years flying between the U.S. and U.K....early 90's, 3-4 R/T's a year, usually in the first two or three rows of coach. There was always smoke filtering back from J...

I think the ban on smoking on all flights to or from the U.S. came in the mid-90's. (?) It was a few years after the domestic ban.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by kyee
Just curious, did they also allow pipe smoking and cigars on those flights as well?
Although there may have been the odd airline that allowed these, typically cigarettes only. I was always much less bothered by pipe and cigar smoke than by cigarette smoke, so I would rather have had people smoking pipes/cigars, but I'm apparently an oddity, as most people were more bothered by the pipes/cigars.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
There was a saying that sitting in the non-smoking section of a plane was like swimming in the non-chlorinated end of the pool.
I always heard it as "Having a non-smoking section in an airplane (or restaurant) is like having a non-peeing section in a swimming pool."
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
so did the individual who posted #15 above ....
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have vague memories of walking back to use the bathroom and holding my breath as I walked through the smoking section where the smoke was especially thick.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have vague memories of walking back to use the bathroom and holding my breath as I walked through the smoking section where the smoke was especially thick.
the ash trays in the armrests were truly gross, lol.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We have one little town near me that still has smoking in bars. Therefore, if you go to a bar in that town, EVERY smoker from a 100-mile radius is there. Anyone who misses smoking flights should just drop in for a beer or two. (You'll have to go home and launder all of your clothing, including shoelaces, afterwards...)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
So glad that this is the law. I do not think I could stand a 8 hr flight with smoke.

Though some people still like to use their ecigarettes on planes...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Smoking is still very common in Vienna. Lots of smoking in bars, even in the lobby bars at some hotels. When we asked, we were told that Austria's smoking laws are still rather old-fashioned. I had completely forgotten how quickly and easily your clothes begin to smell like cigarette smoke, a smell I used to associate with taking my weekend clothes to the dry cleaner on Monday mornings.

I can't even imagine what it was like to be a frequent flyer when smoking was allowed in-flight. Hours upon hours of that stale, recycled air, filled with cigarette smoke, several days a week? Oh my.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
We have one little town near me that still has smoking in bars. Therefore, if you go to a bar in that town, EVERY smoker from a 100-mile radius is there. Anyone who misses smoking flights should just drop in for a beer or two. (You'll have to go home and launder all of your clothing, including shoelaces, afterwards...)

I remember the "bar-car" from the Long Island railroad.....OMG!! My friend who was a smoker made me go in there and she said there was too much smoke!!!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Prior to the smoking ban, I used to fly twice per year to visit family in Finland from the west coast, usually connecting in LAX to the Finnair nonstop offered at the time. One time, due to some seat assignment mix-up, my seat was changed and I was placed me deep in the economy smoking section. I was probably 8 or 9 years old at the time. My grandfather lived near LAX and had come to the terminal to help me with the connection. He pointed out it was hardly appropriate to put an unaccompanied child into the smoking section, but as economy was full they ended up bumping me to first or business class or whatever they called it at the time. My first upgrade!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I remember flying LHR-DTW in December of 1985. 742 I assume. I was smoking camels. I was a senior in high school. I met some hot junior from CMH and made out. Hilarious.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Q54701
as I recall, smokers were rewarded with the front rows
You recall wrong, it was always the last row in each class
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:05 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

Let's keep this thread focused on the 25th Anniversary of curtailment of smoking on airplanes and related topics like what it was like before and after.

Discussion of e-cigarettes on planes or in travel situations, particularly their effects, is best discussed in threads already established for that topic, such as this one:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...decisions.html

Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
You recall wrong, it was always the last row in each class
Nope United's DC-10-10 economy smoking section was rows 9-13 and non-smoking was 14-38. Northwest had two different smoking sections on their planes (A,B,C,D) with B and D being smoking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.