Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are your tips on hotel room safety?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your tips on hotel room safety?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by caverunner17
I will say, a number of these posts come off as extremely paranoid... But I guess back in college most of us wouldn't lock our back doors except during breaks and we never had a single issue. Well, ok, we did. A drunk Freshman friend of ours came in and stole some cereal...

On a serious note though, In the number of hotels I've stayed in, the only time I've locked a secondary lock is when my GF and I were sharing the room with another couple and we wanted a little alone time.

I've stayed in youth hostels in the following places without issue: Amsterdam, Brussels, Brugge, Boston, Dublin, Istanbul, Madrid, Minneapolis, Paris, and Sevilla. Never once had a single problem.

I'm not stupid and leave money laying around, but at the same time, I never go out of my way either. If someone really wanted to steal my tablet or whatever, they easily could. I guess I have some faith in humanity?

That being said, I don't usually travel with stuff that I can't replace either.
Some of things that I carry could be replaced but I do have a duty of care for my employer. Much of the information I am collecting could not be replaced without significant effort. Also the places I travel are quite different from the place you are traveling.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by steveben53
Seeing that you seem to be so knowledgeable about how people react when they are woken up at 3.00 am by a fire alarm, when they are in an unfamiliar environment, perhaps you will enlighten us as to which hotel you were in to gain such a wonderful insight, when the fire took hold

If, however, you have not experienced such a situation, may I respectfully suggest that it is your comments that are less than helpful
It's called emergency preparedness training. Though I have not had to evacuate a burning building myself (thankfully!) I have learned from the collective experience of safety professionals who deal with such events on a regular basis. But if you think the only way to form a valid opinion about burning buildings is to be in one, by all means, please go educate yourself.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by steveben53
The fact remains that however familiar you are with the fire exits, if you are in a panic, like most people would be in a fire situation, you could lose vital seconds fiddling around with dead bolts at the like. It really is a judgement call, but on balance, so far as I am concerned, if it is a complicated locking mechanism, I will not use it
I agree with you on this, in part. An overly complicated lock is a hazard because it prevents quick exit from the room, especially in stressful conditions. But I do not consider a deadbolt, a latch, an ordinary chain, etc. overly complicated. Overly complicated would be the setup of luggage straps a friend of mine rigged years ago to secure our door at a hostel where hooligans were wandering the halls late at night. Our room didn't have a bathroom, and when my buddy got sick in the middle of the night and needed to rush to the toilet, he couldn't unhook the web of straps fast enough. He had an accident on the floor of the room. Though the emergency wasn't a fire, this experience showed me that what we'd done would've been dangerous in a fire. I've never repeated it. For similar reasons I would not block my door with heavy furniture as suggested upthread.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'm not as worried about the complexity of a lock in a fire situation. Those times when the fire alarm has gone off in hotels where I've been staying there wasn't an immediate order to evacuate. That usually gives enough time to get dressed and unlock the door.

Also the best course of action in a high-rise fire isn't always to evacuate. Sometimes you are better off staying put as opposed to chancing a stairwell that may be filled with smoke.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I rip off the address labels on magazines so that my home address is not displayed to whomever enters my room. I keep my non-valuable work items locked in my backpack when I am out of the room. Anything remotely valuable goes in the safe. I also check to make sure the windows lock before I get settled in the room. I tip housekeeping generously and often
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
I rip off the address labels on magazines so that my home address is not displayed to whomever enters my room. I keep my non-valuable work items locked in my backpack when I am out of the room. Anything remotely valuable goes in the safe. I also check to make sure the windows lock before I get settled in the room. I tip housekeeping generously and often
Related to this, I don't leave plane tickets, itineraries, hotel confirmations, or boarding passes (which have ticket numbers and PNRs as well as the passenger's name so that someone could use the information to find details about future flights) out in the open in hotel rooms, on my desk, in plane seat pockets, etc.

I've stayed in hotels, most recently in Spain, that had security chains on doors requiring pushing two buttons simultaneously while removing the chain fastener from a cylinder with a slit. It was a delicate operation requiring two hands, at least for me.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I rip off the address labels on magazines so that my home address is not displayed to whomever enters my room.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Related to this, I don't leave plane tickets, itineraries, hotel confirmations, or boarding passes (which have ticket numbers and PNRs as well as the passenger's name so that someone could use the information to find details about future flights) out in the open in hotel rooms, on my desk, in plane seat pockets, etc.
So how do you deal with the fact that the airline has your home address on file and know exactly when and for how long you'll be away from home. Surely the call-centre employees on minimum-wage jobs need to supplement their income by selling this valuable data to criminal gangs?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by LondonElite
So how do you deal with the fact that the airline has your home address on file and know exactly when and for how long you'll be away from home. Surely the call-centre employees on minimum-wage jobs need to supplement their income by selling this valuable data to criminal gangs?
There are things I can control, and things that I cannot control. It's not like I have spent hours of my life on this. Obviously the airlines know where I am and the credit card company does as well.

However, especially if I am staying somewhere near my home it just doesn't make sense to make my address easily accessible. In the same way that it doesn't make sense to not use the privacy latch. It's extremely unlikely that someone will try and force themselves into the room, but it takes a couple of seconds to secure, so why take the chance?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are things I can control, and things that I cannot control. It's not like I have spent hours of my life on this. Obviously the airlines know where I am and the credit card company does as well.

However, especially if I am staying somewhere near my home it just doesn't make sense to make my address easily accessible. In the same way that it doesn't make sense to not use the privacy latch. It's extremely unlikely that someone will try and force themselves into the room, but it takes a couple of seconds to secure, so why take the chance?
I do actually agree with you...I should have added the at the end!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:34 am

Thanks for clarifying, LondonElite

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.