Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Spend a Week in India, Vietnam, or Italy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spend a Week in India, Vietnam, or Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Couldnt agree more and loved every minute of our three trips.. it is what trave is all about.

Also agree with this description of Vietnam. It's always good to see the world from a different perspective and hear about the AmeRican wAR. Beautiful country, friendly industrious people. Do ha long bay for a night of two and Hue.

Our second trip was Kerala, drive to Munnar in the tea growing area, to Madurai and temples, followed by a few days in Mumbai with a side trip to the Ajunta and Ellora caves staying in A urangabad. Lots of variety, south is very different than north. Kerala and Munn ar were green and beautiful, very uncrowded. Kerala has rivers with resorts and houseboats, a very educated and literate populatIon. We would still like to do east India, Kolkata, dar jeeLing, Maybe siKim. I would also highly recommend VaranasI. It's a powerful spiritual place that makes you come face to face with life and death in the cycle of human activity.

If I had to rank the three India, Vietnam, and Instanbul. Cambodia I'd put in too. It has a sad recent history, and in the race to bring it back, they are not really practicing sustainable tourism, and it might not look the same in a few years.

Go and explore
Execellent comments and attitude. I , even though am an expat and no stranger to cremation was touched by the view of multiple funeral pyres and ceremonies. The evening grand worship ( Aart) should be viewed fro the waterside and landslide.

Originally Posted by devdas
Late May/early June is around the peak of the hot season. Personally, I would avoid the golden triangle completely (45C or higher in the shade is *NOT* my idea of a relaxing vacation).

Whoever told you that DEL would be cooler than BOM in late May is just plain wrong. BOM will be mid 30s, but very humid (this would be just before the monsoons), DEL will be on the upper side of 40C and dry.

I wouldn't go to Leh, you want to budget around two weeks for that trip.

As a native (who dislikes hot dry weather), here are a few additional suggestions:
(a) If you don't mind the heat, and a bit of additional travel, go to watch a cat or two.
Ranthambore, Kanha, Kaziranga, Tadoba, Corbett are good options for tigers, Gir for lions.

(b) If you want a historical holiday along with a few beach trips, fly into BOM (wander around the old city, visit Elephanta, possibly the Vasai fort and Kanheri), and go down the coast to Goa or Kerala (Kochi and Thiruvantanapuram are good options to end the trip, there are flights to the middle east from both cities and from Goa). You could wander down to Murud-Janjira, and then continue to Goa (spend a day or two there dealing with Portuguese influenced architecture and food). From Goa, head down to Mangalore and finally end up in Kochi

(c) Spend the entire week in Kerala

(d) Visit the Himalayan foothills (note that you will be visiting in peak season and there will be crowds). On the eastern side, Sikkim (fly into DEL, then to Bagdogra, or fly to CCU and overnight train to New Jaipaiguri) and Darjeeling (same options). In the west, Dehradun, Mussorie, Haridwar, Dalhousie, Dharmashala/Mcleodganj are overnight road trips from Delhi.

(e) Fly into Bhubhaneshwar and tour Orissa.

(f) Do the Bangalore, Mysore, Belur/Halabeed trips, with a couple of days to visit Hampi (again, heat).
I too am averse to heat so vist in Dec Jan. in the above, you will be braving heat when you are outdoors except in the Himalayan Foothills (item d above) . make sure the cars and hotels are A/ C !

Let us know what you are thinking and planning.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
I too am averse to heat so vist in Dec Jan. in the above, you will be braving heat when you are outdoors except in the Himalayan Foothills (item d above) . make sure the cars and hotels are A/ C !

Let us know what you are thinking and planning.
The best reason to visit India in May would be the mangoes though. Going along the coast is cooler than in the hinterland, but humid.

May will also be cheaper than December/January.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by deniah
im making my 2nd trip Kerala! should be a much different flavor from the megametropolises
I'd do Kerala/Tamil Nadu or Kashmir.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I'd do Kerala/Tamil Nadu or Kashmir.
How long in one place in Kerala ? Ask as if you are in one location for a week, a daily Ayurvedic massage and diet would be good. Mind you there are authentic places and very commercialized places too !
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by devdas
Late May/early June is around the peak of the hot season. Personally, I would avoid the golden triangle completely (45C or higher in the shade is *NOT* my idea of a relaxing vacation).
The classic line from Chennai is that it has three seasons, hot, hotter, and hottest. Late May/early June is 'hottest' season which may seem odd to North Americans where the hottest season is July/August.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by HMPS
How long in one place in Kerala ? Ask as if you are in one location for a week, a daily Ayurvedic massage and diet would be good. Mind you there are authentic places and very commercialized places too !
We hired a driver and drove around to various sights, and spent a couple of nights on a houseboat. It was a great change of pace from the rest of India.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I am an American and I am currently sitting in "North Vietnam" on a couch in Hanoi i can tell you there is no anti American sentiment sure they might charge you a couple extra dollars at an entrance to a touristy spot but they do that to the Russian gentleman standing in line behind me. In the past year I have spent almost 5 weeks here in Hanoi and never feel like I'm somehow behind enemy lines or something. I think you should come out here and take a look for yourself.
The rant from Box 5 is exactly why the US has so many enemies !! The enemy ? of who ? this is big world and FT is not just for US people. Many would view the US killed and maimed and abused millions in Vietnam, and achieved nothing except a legion of Vets. I have nothing againt the US but some attitudes just wind me up. Never forget for millions you are the enemy, this is not the United World of America, its a wonderful diverse world wher the great thing IS that people have different views and ideas,.

The Vietnamese people as a rule are gentle, kind, generous and hospitable, if there is any negative US feeling, and I doubt it since they WON the war, it is due to the atrocities committed by US troops. I do not deny the VC were as bad, but certainly no worse.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
Another country that doesn't send suicide bombers: Vietnam.

Even if this thread completely goes off the rails and ends in bad OMNI I'm happy for one thing: it made me google Kerala and add it to a long list of places I'd like to visit someday. ^
BOX 5 ever wondered why ? As Mandiba said no one is born to hate, they have to learn

As I say, US has some great teachers !!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
We flew in to DEL in an afternoon and headed directly to Jaipur. That was really the only part of the trip that felt like a long(ish) drive...about 5 hours with minimal stopping, other than the minor car accident we were in. (Totally normal...plan on being involved in one or two while you're there...it's part of the experience. )
One could easily tack on a 1-hour flight to Jaipur and start the tour from there: that's not a bad option. But the richness of that first few hours on the road in India is something I'll truly never forget...the people, bizarre vehicles large and small, fauna all over the roadway, sights, smells, scenery...everything. That ride was as completely foreign as anything I've ever done.
I didn't think there was anything as scary as driving in India until I discovered driving at night in India.

I'd suggest avoiding cars as much as possible while there. We took the train from Delhi to Jaipur. It was definitely a cultural experience (during which I had waaaay too much chai from the chai wallah) and didn't need to worry about being in a car accident. The super premium first class fare is still ridiculously cheap by Western standards (I think it was like $30). You could also fly, of course.

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
U.S. citizens do need a visa.
I think US citizens are now eligible for a visa on arrival, as of a month or so ago.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I didn't think there was anything as scary as driving in India until I discovered driving at night in India.

I'd suggest avoiding cars as much as possible while there. We took the train from Delhi to Jaipur. It was definitely a cultural experience (during which I had waaaay too much chai from the chai wallah) and didn't need to worry about being in a car accident. The super premium first class fare is still ridiculously cheap by Western standards (I think it was like $30). You could also fly, of course.

I think US citizens are now eligible for a visa on arrival, as of a month or so ago.
I would concur with minimizing long distance car journeys. Besides train travel is also an experience not to be missed ! As is the short journey in a "tuk tuks" called. Auto rickshaws , auto for short. Do look for the decorated ones !
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PL, DL GM
Thanks to everyone for the great insight! I'm still trying to decide but leaning towards Vietnam. I would have a complete week in the country. Flying over from AUH on a Tuesday then departing the following Tuesday. That allows me plenty of time to get back to the US by Thursday night!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
India would certainly be a different experience, and would be fine if you're looking to see how much of the poorer world lives. I've been there three times and would never, ever think about going there on a vacation.
Actually India is great for a vacation, there are many places in India that you can encounter solitude, those places are just not in the big cities of India.

Goa is a fantastic place to vacation, the beaches of South Goa are secluded and great.

You could go sailing in the backwaters of Kerala for an amazing, peaceful experience:

You could go trekking in the mountains around Uttarkhand or Kashmir, again plenty of solitude and incredible panoramas to be had:

check out the deserts of Rajasthan:

Or experience some of the world's best coral reefs and beaches in the Lakshwadeep islands:

India has another chain of Islands - the Andaman and Nicobar islands which are also spectacular for a ocean getaway!

As you can see, your opinion of India is incorrect... it's not all poverty. Per Conde Nast some of the finest hotels in the world are actually in India, owned by the Taj Group They are frightfully expensive though!

In addition, there is a lot of wildlife to see in India as well, India has some amazing national parks for seeing Tigers in their natural habitat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.