Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wearing Your Heavy Items onto a Low-Cost Carrier Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG

I'm scheduled to fly internationally on a low-cost carrier in May. The weight limit for fee-free carry-on is 5kg (11 lb.). I'm able to meet that limit...if I wear a vest packed with tablet computer, camera, chargers, liquids baggie and other heavy items. The pockets bulge when the vest is loaded.

Am I likely to have any difficulty with this strategy. Do gate agents for LCCs ever weigh a person's clothing?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:36 pm
hco

Programs: SAS *G

Which LCC? Then people who have flown that carrier may be able to give better answers.

But in general, I have used this strategy myself, but maybe not to such an extreme as in your example. Never seen anyone being asked to weigh their clothing.

Come to think of it, I have used the strategy on SU once, CPH-SVO.

Huge/heavy winter jacket on myself and outside/inside pockets loaded with all the heaviest items such as laptop transformer etc. Success.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:37 pm
hco

Some LCC like AirAsia exclude the laptop bag. So you can have 1 carry-on + one laptop bag. Stuff all heavy things in laptop bag =)
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Multiple times, most notably in MNL and SIN I've had to do deal with this (not at the gate or check-in, but just to get past the dragons at security)

I plan to be overweight, 12kg bag or so, and if I'm stopped, I unpack in front of the them and start layering up, presumably until I'm at 7kg.

After a shirt or two, and the realization that I'll eventually puff myself up enough, they just give up and let me go.

Out of maybe 30 flights, maybe happened 3-4 times, not enough for me to layer up beforehand.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by hco
Which LCC? Then people who have flown that carrier may be able to give better answers.
My flights will be on WOW Airline.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:20 am
hco

Not taken WOW. Being Nordic, they may be strict. Come prepared! =)
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta, United
I have had friends walk on to the plane wearing climbing boots and carrying a rack of gear over their shoulder (religious objects). I have come close to sticking batteries and other objects in my pockets.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
No experience with WOW but I've frequently done this on airlines - LCC and traditional - with weight restricted carry on policies (or at least the ones who actively enforce the stated weight). I've never had a problem using my travel vest and/or coat. If I pack up the vest well it doesn't even necessarily bulge that much, depends what you have of course.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:50 am

Really..it's 20 Euro for an extra 7 kg of carry-on, 36 Euro for a checked bag of 20 kg.

Do some people get some kind of special kick out of being a cheap .......?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Really..it's 20 Euro for an extra 7 kg of carry-on, 36 Euro for a checked bag of 20 kg.

You are missing the point. There is a satisfaction when you buy a $80 ticket and beat the system by not paying a $40 bag fee. The same person will probably spend $300 per night for a great hotel.

People are not rational. Explain why someone making $150,000 per year still likes to use a grocery coupon to save $0.50?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta, United

For me it is not being cheap but the principle that someone who weighs 250lbs and has a 50bag does not have to pay extra yet the airlines expects me to pay when I weigh 175lbs and brings a 75lbs bag. So yeah I'll put a bunch stuff in a vest to get around having to extra when I am actually costing them less.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by leonidas
Quote:

You are missing the point. There is a satisfaction when you buy a $80 ticket and beat the system by not paying a $40 bag fee. The same person will probably spend $300 per night for a great hotel.

People are not rational. Explain why someone making $150,000 per year still likes to use a grocery coupon to save $0.50?
The rich and 150K is not rich

Did not get there by wasting money
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:03 pm

Let us know how things go after your trip. I've flown Allegiant and Spirit dozens of times here in the US but they don't have weight restrictions so I just cram in everything into a duffel bag, never once paid for a checked bag with them. My wife and I are looking at flying WOW this fall to KEF so I hope you report back and let us know how it goes. We're thinking about bringing a nearly empty duffel and just wearing tons of stuff onto the plane and then once on board emptying it all into the duffel. I don't imagine they'd care once you're on the plane.

To me its not about being cheap, its that every year we set a budget for vacations so paying $80 r/t for a bag is $80 that I'm not going to be able to spend on another flight, or one extra night at a destination, or one special experience that will bring more memories that what did I pack. Its not so much about being cheap as deciding what will give you the most satisfaction.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:17 pm

Those arguments sound similar to something a gambling addict would say trying to rationalise his behaviour.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:56 am

I've carried extra stuff in my pockets on budget flights without any problems. The Scottevest trench coat is useful for that. The airline employees will know what you're doing, but generally, no one cares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.