Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wearing Your Heavy Items onto a Low-Cost Carrier Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wearing Your Heavy Items onto a Low-Cost Carrier Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:47 pm

Honestly, common sense dictates to have as much of weight as possible in your jacket to bring the carry on weight down.

And I've never even been questioned in those regards, but my experience is mostly limited to european airports, as I've only have had the odd hop across the states.

I spotted the Baubax jackets, when they started their campaign. Brilliant concept. Absolutely love it. We'll see how that turns out, when they arrive.

/M
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
The rich and 150K is not rich

Did not get there by wasting money

50% of being rich is not spending money...

Using a money off coupon is perfectly rational behavior, it's not using it that behavioral economists get upset about....
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
re: coupons. More and more these days, I find myself shying away from products that rely on coupons to do business. It's not always possible, but I'd rather just get a fair price and not play the game.

re: ULCC's. Two years ago, I would have sworn I'd never fly them. Now I have somewhat accepted them as a fact of life. As long as their business model aligns the fees with actual, optional services that have some value, I don't get too offended by them. If the base fare is genuinely ultra-low, then I'll pay for a 40-pound checked bag and not lose any sleep whatsoever about it. On Spirit, which I've now flown a few times, I factor in the Big Front Seat as part of my total costs. (In fact, I won't buy a ticket if these seats aren't available.) I feel like paying for that seat in particular is fair game, and it's (IMHO) fairly priced.

An important factor for me: the ULCC's as I know them now did not previously exist in another form. Therefore, I don't think of them as having "taken something away" from me. I never had allegiance to Frontier in its earlier days, so even them...in the back of my mind I know they did once exist as something else...I don't hold resentment.

In other words, I wouldn't get any satisfaction from wearing a bunch of stuff in a jacket. I don't feel like I have to stick it to the Man. I think that would make me uncomfortable, and I'd be sitting on the plane thinking "why didn't I just pay for a bag?"
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Not so much a LCC issue, but I know I have definitely chosen to wear my heaviest clothing when flying on one of Harbour Air's seaplane flights from Vancouver Island back to the mainland.

Baggage allowance was a very strict 50lbs, with a small hand baggage one on top and I knew I was pushing that so I wore my hiking gear to travel on that flight. Boots, jacket, two jumpers etc etc...... Quick trip to the disabled loo with the bag on landing and changed into normal clothing for the onward transatlantic flight to London.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Everyone plays the stuffing the pockets game, at least to some extent. It's easier to do in winter when you have coat pockets as well. I've never had a problem but I've never done it to the extent envisaged by the OP. Certainly no problem with FR, EZ or 4U.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
I'm scheduled to fly internationally on a low-cost carrier in May. The weight limit for fee-free carry-on is 5kg (11 lb.). I'm able to meet that limit...if I wear a vest packed with tablet computer, camera, chargers, liquids baggie and other heavy items. The pockets bulge when the vest is loaded.

Am I likely to have any difficulty with this strategy. Do gate agents for LCCs ever weigh a person's clothing?
You've gotten a lot of opinions on whether you should or shouldn't do it, so I won't weigh in on that issue.

However, on your other question - yes, you may indeed have some difficulty with the strategy.

Weight aside, some of the items you listed are delicate electronics that don't appreciate being bumped, belted, or bent, as they very well may be if you transport them in the pockets of a vest.

The liquids bag, well, be careful of leaks.

And all of those items are fairly solid, with hard sides, edges, and corners that will poke you uncomfortably while walking, and especially while seated in the cabin.

So keep in mind - you're saving some money, but if your $300 tablet gets bent because it's caught between you and seatbelt, or your $200 camera gets its lens bent out of shape because the corner of a charger poked it when you bent over to tie your shoe, or the wire on one of your chargers twists just enough to make it non-functional, robbing you of your tablet, camera, or phone for the duration of the trip - how much have you really saved?

Originally Posted by gspurr
Why am I thinking of the Friends episode when Joey put on all of Chandlers's clothes?
Could that reference BE any more apropos?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:39 pm

I just flew WOW in July to Iceland. The gate agent didn't look twice at my hoodie, wrapped around my waist with heavy stuff like my camera inside. They also didn't weigh my bags gateside at any point, inbound or outbound. And WOW does NOT allow a second bag - no purse for females, no laptop bag for anyone. Just one carryon, period.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:31 pm

"put on six t-shirts, four sweaters, three pairs of jeans, two pairs of track pants"

"(He) learned this the hard way after collapsing from wearing multiple layers of clothing to avoid paying a 45 pound (about $70) baggage fee…he put on six t-shirts, four sweaters, three pairs of jeans, two pairs of track pants"

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/0...d-baggage-fee/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.