Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping first leg of segment to save money on flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Skipping first leg of segment to save money on flight

Hi all! We are traveling to Aruba in June.

The cheapest flight which would save a bunch of money is going from BOS-JFK-AUA going down and then AUA-JFK going home.

From what I am reading the airlines (this would be Delta we would be flying) will cancel the second+ segments of your trip if you miss the first segment. But what if I were to arrive and try to check in at JFK for the second segment before the scheduled departure of the BOS-JFK first segment? Would they still cancel it? Thanks for the info!

DEPARTS: Fri Jun 12 | 6:00am
from Boston, MA (BOS)

ARRIVES Fri Jun 12 | 7:20am
at New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)

FLIGHT DL 750 | 1h 20m

DEPARTS: Fri Jun 19 | 2:19pm
from Aruba, Aruba (AUA)

ARRIVES Fri Jun 19 | 7:10pm

FLIGHT DL 722 | 4h 51m
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Yes. Delta will cancel.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:03 am

Last edited by brendog; Nov 11, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Wow okay thought maybe it would not happen if I checked in for the second leg before the first leg even left. Thanks for the info I won't do it
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
You could also travel to BOS if the flight is much cheaper. It's pretty easy to get there from New York.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valdor
You could also travel to BOS if the flight is much cheaper. It's pretty easy to get there from New York.
I actually live outside of Philadelphia in the suburbs so Boston is a little far about 5 hours away. Philadelphia airport is usually pretty expensive when flying outside of the us. Going to keep watching the flights and try to catch it when the cost goes down. Were not going until June so have a few months left to wait
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by kyle2227
Originally Posted by valdor
I actually live outside of Philadelphia in the suburbs so Boston is a little far about 5 hours away. Philadelphia airport is usually pretty expensive when flying outside of the us. Going to keep watching the flights and try to catch it when the cost goes down. Were not going until June so have a few months left to wait
If you don't have the time, that's one thing. But you're apparently willing to take 2-3 hours to get to NYC and then out to JFK. Seems that an extra couple hours on the train to go up to BOS isn't that much of an add, either in time or money.

But to repeat the above, you will need to actually board your BOS-JFK flight if you want to use the rest of the ticket.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
If you have Avios, you can fly PHL-BOS for 4500 points. Cash prices are regularly well under $100 for that route too. Ends up being cheaper and faster than the train.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If you have Avios, you can fly PHL-BOS for 4500 points."

If you have Avios, you can fly PHL-AUA for only 10,000 Avios -- subject to award-seat availability, of course. @:-)
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kyle2227
Hi all! We are traveling to Aruba in June.

The cheapest flight which would save a bunch of money is going from BOS-JFK-AUA going down and then AUA-JFK going home.

From what I am reading the airlines (this would be Delta we would be flying) will cancel the second+ segments of your trip if you miss the first segment. But what if I were to arrive and try to check in at JFK for the second segment before the scheduled departure of the BOS-JFK first segment? Would they still cancel it? Thanks for the info!

DEPARTS: Fri Jun 12 | 6:00am
from Boston, MA (BOS)

ARRIVES Fri Jun 12 | 7:20am

FLIGHT DL 750 | 1h 20m

DEPARTS: Fri Jun 19 | 2:19pm
from Aruba, Aruba (AUA)

ARRIVES Fri Jun 19 | 7:10pm

FLIGHT DL 722 | 4h 51m
Check in early as you describe and they will likely cancel the ticket and reissue it at the price you're trying to avoid. Or higher since it would be same day ticketing.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:57 pm
Suspended

I would never do this because I would consider myself stealing, but I always find it cute when I can fly from NYC-ATL nonstop for $300 but I can fly from NYC to MIA via ATL for $100. Puts more truth into the dartboard theory.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
The good thing about skipping the first leg is that you get to skip all of the legs. No packing, no vacation days lost, no one to water the plants etc.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by airplanegod
I would never do this because I would consider myself stealing, but I always find it cute when I can fly from NYC-ATL nonstop for $300 but I can fly from NYC to MIA via ATL for $100. Puts more truth into the dartboard theory.
Its about competition. If the NYC-ATL is a monopolized market-nonstop, then that will be high priced. But, if there are many ways to get NYC-MIA, pricing will be much more attractive. They don't consider the connection. They look at the departure and arrival destinations.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If tickets from PHL are expensive, consider starting your journey at BWI.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, US Airways Gold
Don't miss the first flight. I tried this with a $600 RT flight I found between LGA and DUB, with connections in PHL. I live in PHL and figured we'd be able to board in PHL with no problem but we were told at PHL that our ticket would have been entirely cancelled if we had not shown up in LaGuarida that night. So at the height of rush hour, we drove to LGA (took about 4 hours). They re-issued the ticket, and we took a 9:45p flight back to Philadelphia where we had to rent a car to drive back home and flew out nonstop to DUB the next morning.

It was equally frustrating to get back to PHL late Saturday night a week later and have to sit there for three hours to wait for the flight to LGA to have to drive back down the turnpike to Philadelphia. We saved well over $600 each on this journey, so I guess it was worth it, but it was frustrating and I learned to never try it again if I'm not able to make it to the starting point city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.