Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually prefer the middle seat?

Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Have you ever booked a middle seat when there are available window and aisle seats (for the same price)

Would you rather have a middle seat in the exit row or a window or aisle in another row?

What about a middle seat near the front of the plane instead of a window or aisle near the back of the plane?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Only in front row on a shorter Southwest flight.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:10 pm

No. I've actually changed travel plans (including ones for my trip next week) to avoid middle seats. I suppose I might book a middle exit row if I had no other choice.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat

Yes, the large gentleman on my last TATL flight who wanted both arm rests.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:23 pm

90% of non-emergency problems you could have on a flight are somehow related to your seat neighbours. Aisle or window reduces this chance by 50% and is therefore always preferable.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I like the middle seat went both seats beside me are empty
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:34 pm
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Before, I would go with emergency exit middle seat over aisle back in the plane. But I am in the phase of changing my mind.

On a short flight I still enjoy the free space and to strech my legs, but on a longer flight I will try to get aisle with middle seat blocked - anywhere.

So, I'm a 'no' now.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:19 am
Suspended

With airlines ive been on. Always wanting a window seat. My last trip was at night but i wanted window seat. But i think i may end up wanting a non window seat because i would constantly have to go to the toilet and worried i may wake up the person seatin next to me on a long trip else where in the world. So window seat not so fun during night flight.

Middle seats well.. i dont no.. for me i see it more with family gathering.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
No. I've said I'd wait for the next flight to avoid a middle seat during a work trip.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:44 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

I have on numerous occasions taken a middle seat in E+/MCE when a an aisle or window was available in the back.
Leg room is my first priority.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: DL GE
Does anyone like being poked in the eye?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

I always take a middle when traveling with Mrs. Lee in Y on a plane with 3-3 seating. She must have a window and so I get the middle. As we don't mind touching arms and neither of us are very large, it's not a problem.

I also fly lots of short-haul (under 2 hrs) flights for work, booked at that magic time when only middles are left in front of the wing, and occasional aisle/windows are still open in the way back. On those flights, I will absolutely take a middle in the first few rows of Y vs. a seat further back just so I can be off the plane and on my way to the office sooner. I will also check the seat map frequently in the hopes that someone else cancels or gets upgraded out of their aisle/window.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Back before AA offered 1-way awards, a couple of times I booked a round trip, and for the return, selected a far-off-date to "park" the changeable trip, and I would always select a middle seat near the back on a nearly-empty seat map. I figure that must have made some others wonder why the only selected seat was the worst one on the plane.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

If I am booking a "hidden city" ticket, then I will book the middle seat in the last row on the flight I plan to skip.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:43 pm
HMO

Before the airlines started to charge "preferred" seats at the front, when flying solo with only a carry-on, I used to book a middle seat at front (up to 4th. row) for short flights (less than 1:30hs), when I wasn't able to get an aisle at the front half of the plane.

Nowadays, I prefer to book an aisle even in the back.

Flying with Mrs. HMO, I usually take a middle when she wants to see outside the window. But for long flights, where she is going to sleep for a long part of the flight, nowadays she got the middle and I got the aisle. If we are flying a B767 or A330/340 (2-3-2 or 2-4-2 at Y), I try to avoid the center row, for we both be able to get what we like - window for her, aisle for me, nobody between us, everybody happy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.