Search

Air Force Identifies Boeing 747-8 platform for next Air Force One

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Ugh I would love a Glenn Close for VP.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jorgen
The last four Presidential assassinations haven't caused any new wars, I don't see why the next one should.
That's because the assassins have been Americans. If a foreign entity were ever involved, WWIII just that fast.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
That's because the assassins have been Americans. If a foreign entity were ever involved, WWIII just that fast.
WWIII?

Most likely not.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I think there's more drama than reasonable hypothesising here. More reasonable is a further engagement along the lines of the current Middle East conflict.

Last edited by LondonElite; Feb 1, 2015 at 2:41 am
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by enviroian
Why would Airbus be out of question? It's a plane manufactured by thousands of suppliers from many different countries including the U.S. What is different than any Boeing plane? Just sayin.

I like the "Air Force beluga 1" sounds.
Agree but even if the Airbus uses more parts from the US than Boeing (wouldn't be surprised if this is the case), it will always be considered an European plane whereas a Boeing is an American plane. Most people outside FT don't realize how planes are built nowadays, and the media isn't helping either.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
A U.S. Navy ship carrying an important person is designated as the position. For example, the Captain of the Enterprise would be called "Enterprise". Many years ago, when President Eisenhower was on a Navy ferry en route to a carrier, when hailed from the carrier "Who goes there?", the reply was "United States". The Officer of the Deck on the carrier called back: "What the ...?" I understand he was replaced.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
A U.S. Navy ship carrying an important person is designated as the position. For example, the Captain of the Enterprise would be called "Enterprise". Many years ago, when President Eisenhower was on a Navy ferry en route to a carrier, when hailed from the carrier "Who goes there?", the reply was "United States". The Officer of the Deck on the carrier called back: "What the ...?" I understand he was replaced.
Why would Kirk or Picard be on a ferry and just not beam aboard?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
I don't follow. Would be curious to understand.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by will2288
I don't follow. Would be curious to understand.
What I think they are stating is that if a smaller vessel is transporting someone of importance (Captain/Admiral/Whatever) of something else the ferry/smaller vessel's call sign becomes something along the lines of the bigger ship?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Why would Kirk or Picard be on a ferry and just not beam aboard?
Well, once in awhile the transporter malfunctions
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
From today's New York Times:

Air Force One, a Cherished Perk, Awaits an Upgrade
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Cool article, thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:20 pm

Duplicate
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
The VC-25 a very old airplane??

B-52. Introduced into service in 1955.

It is said that the last pilot to fly one hasn't been born yet.

Just sayin' :-)
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This clearly demonstrates that taxpayers' interests are not even part of the equation. He or she should fly commercial like most other world leaders.
That was tried once and it that not work out too well.

...then-President Richard Nixon became the only sitting president to travel on a regularly scheduled commercial airline flight when he flew on a United Airlines DC-10 from Washington Dulles International Airport to Los Angeles International Airport. A Nixon aide carried a suitcase-sized secure communication device on board the plane, so that the President could remain in contact with Washington in the event of an emergency. Nixon's choice to fly commercial did not end up actually saving fuel, as the Boeing 707 then serving as Air Force One later flew empty from Washington to California to pick him up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.