Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Force Identifies Boeing 747-8 platform for next Air Force One

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Box5
Commercial flights are too full for the President and his staff to fly. However, chartering a flight is possible. If that were to happen, the decision making powers should stay in Washington. In that case, Joe Biden would be the boss while the Prez is away.

In Singapore, the Prime Minister has flown on Tiger Airways, the budget carrier!

For a U.S. state governor flying between major cities, commercial is the way it should be.
The VP only acts for the President if the President is incapacitated (e.g., temporarily due to surgery under general anesthesia) or becomes the President if the President dies.

Whether the President is out of town or not is irrelevant, and in fact is one of (but not the only) the main points of having AF1, vice using charter or commercial aircraft. AF1 has all of the core capabilities that the President needs (communications, data links, etc) wherever he happens to be in the world - just as if he were back at the White House.

It also is intended to be able to remain aloft for much longer periods of time and can be air-to-air refueled. That isn't possible on a chartered 767 or commercial flight.

In the event of war or other incident, all of those capabilities can be vital to national security and an intact government.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Considering the 747-8 initially was conceived as a freighter....the A/C system sucks. I've flown LH's plane often in F, which on this plane is Zone A; this is one of the biggest complaints for the pursers....if the temps are fine in the rest of the plane, it's freezing in F. That's where the private cabin is located.

I've not flown China Air, but have talked to two pax who also froze.

Maybe with the advent of this new AF1, there will be a modification across the whole frame.

Last edited by kevinsac; Jan 29, 2015 at 4:50 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
POTUS movements are so extensively disruptive to surface (at least outside of DC) and air traffic (and even sometimes sub-surface traffic) that I would not want to be regularly stuck with POTUS movements disrupting my scheduled commercial flights and other transport each and every time the POTUS moves a considerable distance.
Years ago I was trying to get home to the US from Paris and Clinton landed at Orly to sign some kind of treaty. They simply shut the airport down for several hours. Missed all my connections in the US.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
748 was chosen as much for prior experience in all the additions & modifications that were added to the original presidential 747's. Also A380 would have been a crazy choice for all the political reasons already stated and two others - 1. the plane has a very uncertain future & 2. It is very limited on the airports it can land at. I am very happy that the business is going to Boeing.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I would have voted for a converted C-5A, but, in any case, the decision has been made. In spite of Airbus anti-Boeing claims and a general lack of interest in the 747-8i, I suspect KE, China Air, and LH will do just fine with that airframe. IMHO, the U.S. President should fly in a "special" aircraft as the head of the most powerful nation in the world. He/she should not fly commercial for so many reasons discussed above. Even the President of Croatia has his own dedicated aircraft (when I was there in the 1990s, you couldn't even drive near the hanger at ZAG, Pleso Airport - and there were land mines all around).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
...chartering a flight is possible. If that were to happen, the decision making powers should stay in Washington. In that case, Joe Biden would be the boss while the Prez is away.
That is not the way the federal executive works. The president does not cede command authority when he departs US territory. His infrastructure for making and transmitting decisions travels with him. That alone makes chartering or flying commercial infeasible.

That said, there is an informal rule against the president and VP being out of the country simultaneously, but that is more to support continuity of government in case of a coup or attack, inside or outside the US.

For a U.S. state governor flying between major cities, commercial is the way it should be.
Governors usually fly commercial, but then they have no military / defense authority.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that President Nixon once flew commercial as a publicity stunt during the 1973 energy crisis: a UA DC-10 IAD-LAX. It was a logistic nightmare for those responsible for presidential command and control, and it ended up being a stupid, empty gesture because the 707 designated AF1 flew out to California to bring him back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_One

Originally Posted by Valdor
Why not a 787? I know it's smaller than a 747 but it is cheaper to operate and it would have given a more "modern" feel to AF1.
Too little payload / floorspace for staff, entourage, press corps; much too much new / still-proving-out technology for the comfort of the Secret Service; two few engines.

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Can you imagine if the President rolled into a foreign country on United or Delta? Neither airline even has "America" in its name.
Can you imagine having to hold up the G-20 summit for 24 hours because of a UA mechanical?

Last edited by BearX220; Jan 30, 2015 at 7:21 am
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...force-one.html
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BearX220
That is not the way the federal executive works. The president does not cede command authority when he departs US territory. His infrastructure for making and transmitting decisions travels with him. That alone makes chartering or flying commercial infeasible.
Not wishing to stir up a hornets nest, but others manage on commercial (or chartered) flights, including the British PM for example, who recently flew back in Club World on BA from IAD to LHR after his chinwag with Obama.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not wishing to stir up a hornets nest, but others manage on commercial (or chartered) flights, including the British PM for example, who recently flew back in Club World on BA from IAD to LHR after his chinwag with Obama.
Certainly, but Cameron also takes Sunday lunch with his kids at the Kings Head on Bledington Common and diners at adjoining tables pay them no mind. Obama can do nothing of the sort without the Secret Service commandeering the restaurant for two days in advance and setting up a command truck outside. It's less of a logistic task moving the British PM around, and frankly he is less of a target, with less of a security cordon.

Sadly, of the last ten US presidents we've had two shot, one fatally, one nearly so, plus one near-miss, so there is a near-neurotic protective instinct overshadowing his every move.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sadly true. I'm sure he'd prefer it the other way around, though to quote Billy Bob Thornton, "Yes, we sure do like that plane."
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Westminster System versus the Executive System. If David Cameron were no longer the prime minister it would be up to his party to determine his successor but there is a clear line of succession in the US.

It the Westminster System it's less about the individual and more about the party. The prime minister is simply the leader of the party who controls the lower house.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Considering the 747-8 initially was conceived as a freighter....the A/C system sucks. I've flown LH's plane often in F, which on this plane is Zone A; this is one of the biggest complaints for the pursers....if the temps are fine in the rest of the plane, it's freezing in F. That's where the private cabin is located.

I've not flown China Air, but have talked to two pax who also froze.

Maybe with the advent of this new AF1, there will be a modification across the whole frame.
I assume you mean Air China's 747-8. China Airlines doesn't have any 747-8.
Air China is from the "People's Republic of China", while China Airlines
is from "Taiwan, Province of China". They are two different airlines from
two different countries(depending on who you ask).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This clearly demonstrates that taxpayers' interests are not even part of the equation. He or she should fly commercial like most other world leaders.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:36 pm

This clearly demonstrates that taxpayers' interests are not even part of the equation. He or she should fly commercial like most other world leaders.
you do realize that the Air Force will be buying TWO 747-8s for this purpose, right?

it will cost a lot more money to fly the POTUS on commercial flights....
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:46 pm

They didn't ask me but I would have voted for the 747. My job comes with a Nissan Maxima and his comes with a 747. It's not really stretch when you think of the responsibilities each of has.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.