Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airports not accommodating passengers.

Airports not accommodating passengers.

Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Those 28+ inches are in Suffolk County which would only generously be called a New York City suburb. The vast majority of New York City and it's surrounds were in the 8-12 inch range.

Still I think the OP has a point, about the airlines, and not the airport. These days terminals at the airports are privately run and managed although the concessions are leased to private operators. So it takes a lot of likemindedness to get to where the OP wants. It's not just a case of a few guys getting together and calling Dominos.
As someone who grew-up on the Nassau/Suffolk border, I'm pretty sure a good portion of Suffolk (and the Long Island Railroad) would disagree with you. (As would the ACS data showing that the number of Suffolk residents commuting to Manhattan daily is steadily increasing). Southern Connecticut is also clearly "a New York City suburb." But even if you only consider Nassau-- the county that JFK abuts-- there's a range of 8 to 18 inches as of this morning. The snarky comment said it was "3 inches."
In addition, the dig was at the entire East Coast. I'm pretty confident that Suffolk County, NY, Connecticut, and Massachusetts are all on the East Coast.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Nice snark, but there's a bit of a fact check in order.
The New York suburbs have experienced up to 28 inches of snow, and more is expected. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsBy...rodtype=public
New England is worse. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsBy...rodtype=public
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsBy...rodtype=public

Winds of up to 50 MPH

BOS? 20.8 inches
PVD? 15 inches
BDL? 7.5 inches
ISP? 24.8 inches.

Average annual snowfall in New York? 25.1 inches and 11 days
Boston? 43.8 inches and 22 days
Kansas City? 13.4 inches and 8 days

So check yourself.
Philly...2 inches. Newark...6 inches.

It's snow. I get it. Some people like it, some people hate it. But at some point, you're like...c'mon...it's winter, what do we expect? Does the degree to which we freak out about it *maybe*...just slightly...become a bit excessive?

"Biggest storm in history"*...until next month's storm...

And I'm not saying we're immune: some people around here lose their freaking minds when we get a foot of snow, as if it has never happened before. People run to the grocery store and buy all the bread, because I guess you just gotta carbo-load when it snows. But the Northeast really seems to take it to another level on the panic scale.

*Unclear if this is the history of the entire planet since upright hominids have occupied it, the history of cable news networks, or just de Blasio's history as mayor...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
MSP keeps a stock of (free to use) cots, blankets, and pillows for stranded passengers.

When there are overnight flight delays, I've seen DL staff at MSP stand in the hotel shuttle bus area to help confused passengers and pass out bottles of water.

Maybe we're just Minnesota nice?
I've seen news reports today about Laguardia pulling out cots and blankets last night for stranded passengers. I know other US airports have recently too. It's not all doom and gloom and treat everyone like cattle in the US.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pinniped
Philly...2 inches. Newark...6 inches.

It's snow. I get it. Some people like it, some people hate it. But at some point, you're like...c'mon...it's winter, what do we expect? Does the degree to which we freak out about it *maybe*...just slightly...become a bit excessive?

"Biggest storm in history"*...until next month's storm...

And I'm not saying we're immune: some people around here lose their freaking minds when we get a foot of snow, as if it has never happened before. People run to the grocery store and buy all the bread, because I guess you just gotta carbo-load when it snows. But the Northeast really seems to take it to another level on the panic scale.

*Unclear if this is the history of the entire planet since upright hominids have occupied it, the history of cable news networks, or just de Blasio's history as mayor...
If the predictions of the storm had been for 2 inches or even 6 inches, people would not have panicked. The fact that people rushed the grocery store when there were only 3 inches of snow is irrelevant, since the predictions were of 2 to 3 feet.

As someone who has lived all over the country, I've found the midatlantic and South to be far worse on snow than the Northeast. Have you seen folks respond to 1 inch of snow in Atlanta? I know it's trendy to sometimes bash the people who live on the coasts as effete elitists, but suggesting "the Northeast" as a whole overreacts to snow as opposed to the good humble folk of Missouri or the rest of the country is asinine. Don't believe everything you see on Fox News.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Elite or something, Marriott Platinum
Agree on MSP

I agree! Not only are there mats and blankets everywhere, there is a nursery area with a crib and quiet area for rocking a baby. Maybe they aren't prepared to feed everyone but they do a respectable job of keeping passengers as comfortable as can be expected.

MSP keeps a stock of (free to use) cots, blankets, and pillows for stranded passengers.

When there are overnight flight delays, I've seen DL staff at MSP stand in the hotel shuttle bus area to help confused passengers and pass out bottles of water.

Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I agree the airport is not the culprit here.

Back in the "old days", 15-20 years ago we got stuck a few times due to weather and Continental (rest in peace) came to the rescue. Notable, one was in Denver and another in Cozumel.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody here is complaining about the lack of airport hotels. They seem to expect that the local airport authority doesn't provide everything for free.

Most airport properties subscribe to the local distressed traveler system and most carriers hand out the little flyers with the dial-in on them. Alternatively, those who are not able to take the risk that they may wind up having to pay for a hotel and perhaps a meal, can take travel insurance.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by wrp96

I've seen news reports today about Laguardia pulling out cots and blankets last night for stranded passengers. I know other US airports have recently too. It's not all doom and gloom and treat everyone like cattle in the US.
Couple years ago I took my daughter to LGA for a flight back to college, a big snow hit a couple days earlier and things were just getting back to normal, for being a couple days after Christmas. Tons of people were waiting for the next available flight, camped out on cots. Surreal scene.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta, United

They pull them out for any PAX overnighting not just ones who are stranded. PROPS for that and for that reason I will fly via MSP and do short over nights if needed.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

The reason airports don't do more for passengers is because they don't have any competitive reason to. No one is going to choose where to live, or where to travel, based on the quality of services offered at the airport. Flight schedule, perhaps, but no one ever said "let's live in X because their airport has more amenities".

In cities with multiple airports, they are usually run by the same authority and therefore do not need to compete with each other either. Los Angeles is one of the few places where several airports in close proximity are run by different agencies, but they don't have to worry about weather.

Interestingly, airports that are losing traffic to neighboring airports often come up with some sort of passenger retention mechanism. CVG had a rewards scheme a few years ago to stem the loss of passengers to DAY and CMH, I'm not sure if they still do.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Plt HertzpresC Avisfirst
Awesome CO Pilot

Must of been approx. 6+ years. We were delayed for a few hours either ewr-yyz or yyz-ewr cant remember. We finally started boarding but then were told it will be an hour + till we would be clear take off. Twenty minutes later Stewardess announced, We have ordered pizza, compliments of the captain. Those were the days when passengers were happy on 737 short routes and crews were happy with their employers!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA PS; Marriott Platinum; SPG Platinum
On Friday night, I got into the Delta concourse at CVG and noticed they had pizzas (at least 2 dozen) and blankets and pillows out for those folks left overnight.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
If the predictions of the storm had been for 2 inches or even 6 inches, people would not have panicked. The fact that people rushed the grocery store when there were only 3 inches of snow is irrelevant, since the predictions were of 2 to 3 feet.

As someone who has lived all over the country, I've found the midatlantic and South to be far worse on snow than the Northeast. Have you seen folks respond to 1 inch of snow in Atlanta? I know it's trendy to sometimes bash the people who live on the coasts as effete elitists, but suggesting "the Northeast" as a whole overreacts to snow as opposed to the good humble folk of Missouri or the rest of the country is asinine. Don't believe everything you see on Fox News.
As one who lived in Illinois and Missouri, snow is annoying, but not a big deal. For the coasters like this guy, even a foot should be no big deal, but he must listen to MSNBC.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by celsius1939
As one who lived in Illinois and Missouri, snow is annoying, but not a big deal. For the coasters like this guy, even a foot should be no big deal, but he must listen to MSNBC.
Agreed that they sometimes over-react, but there are areas that are dealing with over three feet of snow, 70 mile an hour winds and power outages. The fact that they are not able to define the exact area it will hit means that surrounding areas need to be ready to deal with it. If NYC had had the above, it would have been pretty difficult to deal with. The fact that they prepared for it and it didn't come - well, that is just icing on the cake! The last storm that Buffalo dealt with - not the norm and they prepared the best they could. There were still people that were stranded at their homes and unable to get out to get to work, store, etc. for up to a week.

Unless you have lived through that, you really shouldn't comment. I remember trying to keep the house warm with two little ones when our power was out for over a week after an ice storm. Sometimes we get what they predict - sometimes we don't.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Fox News...LOL. All of the networks were absolutely going mental. For all I know Fox was doing less blizzard coverage as there isn't a good way to tie this storm directly to Obama.

I too have lived all over, including Chicago, DC, and Denver. Also spent a lot of time in Western NY and Canada. All places that get snow...but don't totally panic about it.

DC probably falls into the category of places that shut down easily with small snowfall totals (I remember days when everybody worked from home because of 3-4 inches), but the hysterics and proclamations that the storms were "historic" and of such an epic proportion that we'll talk about them a century from now were not there.

I do like the pictures from Boston, though. They got a lot of snow and will probably talk about it until the next time they get a lot of snow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.