Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sharing with seat mates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Sharing with seat mates

Had some expiring UA drink chits, so last flight I offered to seatmate. That was after we had a bit of pleasant conversation about the Oregon-FSU football game in progress.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sharing with seat mates

This sounds like "My mummy made some extra tuna sandwiches, here, have one..."

Weird
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:15 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
I ordered one more beer on LHR-CMB, but FA does not really acknowledge it and just walks past. My seat mate to the left also thinks FA didn't hear my order and turns around and reprats my order (for me).

Of course, FA comes back with two beers. My seat mate to the left doesn't drink so I get both. Subsequently, I get tangled up a bit in the headphone cord and spill some some of the beer. Mostly on my tray but some of it splashes on the arm rest (and possibly arm) of seat mate to the right! Doh - Frik'n embarrasing.

I apologise of course to seat mate on the right, but he is stone faced through the whole ordeal. Oh'my - sometimes even the best fail...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:30 am

I do not offer anything early in the flight...for fear the person thinks I want to be their "buddy" for the trip.

Towards the end, if I open up my "snack bag", I may offer some to my seatmates. Sometimes they accept, sometimes not....but I hate to eat in front of others without offering...lol

I share my gum with nobody! My ears really bother me while flying!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
In principle, I have no issue with the idea of sharing with other pax. I don't recall an instance when I've done with with someone I don't know, but I'd be willing to trade or whatnot.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: US Gold
If there is something from the airline meal that is packaged and clearly unopened and I either can't or won't eat it myself, and if the person next to me has eaten that item and I see they're looking around (ie, not absorbed in a book or movie, or sleeping) I will wave it in their direction. I hate to see food wasted. Otherwise, unless we've been stranded on the tarmac for hours and everyone is desperate, certainly not, especially food I've brought from home.

wg
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: AA
I always offer gum to my neighbor around the time we pull away from the gate. The reaction helps gauge if s/he will be a talker or not, if it wasn't already clear by that point
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
In delay situations, I've been known to offer to share my supply of granola bars, peanut butter crackers, etc to those around me. Wouldn't think to offer something that wasn't prepackaged though.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:44 am

I've offered breath mints to the person next to me. It saved the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I shared my big bag of M& Ms with my seatmate who was equally distressed by BAs lack of catering.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Once on a very delayed flt on the tarmac I pulled out a hoagie I was bringing from Philly for my friend who had recently moved to Chicago. As I pulled out my huge sandwich to eat my seatmate started drooling and proceeded to tell me he was diabetic.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Catusa
Once on a very delayed flt on the tarmac I pulled out a hoagie I was bringing from Philly for my friend who had recently moved to Chicago. As I pulled out my huge sandwich to eat my seatmate started drooling and proceeded to tell me he was diabetic.
......and? Did you give it to your seat mate and dash your poor friends hopes? Was your poor, salivating ex-Philly friend deprived of his long-anticipated hoagie just to save someone's life on the plane? Or did you let your seat mate go into insulin shock from lack of food whilst you hogged the hoag? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
When the seatmate is my wife, yeah. With a stranger? Never. And if a stranger asked to eat off my tray I'd call the FA.
and what do you tell the FA? "he he he he...asked me for food!" Can't people just handle their own situations?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:14 am

Sure, if it's something prepackaged and I don't want it -- for instance, crackers on the meal tray. Why waste it if someone else wants to eat it?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Stars4SA
Have you ever purchased something for a seat mate?
Drinks, yes...it's a good conversation starter.

[Off topic text edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 26, 2015 at 8:54 pm Reason: Per FT Rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.