Reload this Page >

Cabin Temperature by Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stewie Mac
Okay, prompted by an incredibly hot TK cabin last week, and then looking here in Travelbuzz and also reading this thread in the JAL forum, let's start making a list of typical cabin temperatures by airline, to help those of us who like cool (or I suppose even warm) cabins find the right airline.

Unfortunately I don't (yet) have a thermometer, so my initial contribution will be unscientific, but here goes.

Let's try listing airlines by region, and then people can add relevant information, perhaps using a/c type, cabin and temperatures.

Europe

Turkish:
B739 / Y / far far far too hot on an overnight, not too bad on a daytime
A320 / Y / again far too hot on an overnight

Africa

South African:
A330/A340 / Y / always really cool, verging on cold. Probably the only airline on which I have ever used a blanket. ^^

North America

Asia
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:07 pm
msm
Original Poster

Can anyone help me find a resource to compare default cabin temperature settings by airline?

I personally like a cold environment. I would sacrifice a couple inches of pitch for a few degrees of F. I have found that I sleep an awful lot better on Asiana than Eva and I think it may be due to Asiana keeping their cabins cooler.

Between the major Asian carriers, do we know who keeps their cabin's coolest?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Marriott

In my experience BA is almost always uncomfortably warm for me. I once asked to lower the temp and the lowered it from 78 to 76F.... AYFKM???

AY is generally good. CX and SQ are OK.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: US Gold
I like to be warm. For flights I normally dress in corduroy travel pants with knee-length silk shorts underneath, wool socks with Polartec socks over them, a T-shirt with a waffle Henley and a Polartec fleece jacket over that. Usually, after about an hour the place warms up enough to take off the fleece jacket and sometimes even the Henley. That's to set the scene.

The coldest flight I've *ever* been on might suit you: BA LHR to LAX direct. On the flight it was on in mid-December it was so cold that I added legwarmers, the hood of the fleece jacket, a full-length blanket, and another blanket wrapped around my feet. I was still cold. And it wasn't just me this time: everyone around me was putting on woolly hats and jackets.

The FA seemed quite proud of it, said it was because this plane doesn't recirculate air but uses fresh air from outside. Well, I understand that, but when half the plane is wearing hats, scarves and gloves, maybe it's time to up the thermostat a little?

wg
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:25 pm

Location: x-17 yr AC*SE100 1MM, now E50 Gold :(, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, Yadayadayada

I'm with you msm. If I'm upfront and they give you the duvet I hate it when it is warm. Hard to sleep and just keep figiting. I find people rest better when it is a bit cooler and people can use the blankets to keep warm. For whatever reason I find the NRT flights are always warm. Keep it cool! Just sayin'....

Happy flyin'

'Dude
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
There's a whole thread in the JAL forum about the warm cabins.

I love a cooler cabin as I tend to feel warm more often than not.

However, on one flight on NZ from LHR-LAX, I was by the door on a 777 and I actually had myself wrapped in one of the duvets, something I've never done on a plane.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Last night flight I had on Singapore Airlines was a sweat box. It was so uncomfortable.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
There's a whole thread in the JAL forum about the warm cabins.

I love a cooler cabin as I tend to feel warm more often than not.

However, on one flight on NZ from LHR-LAX, I was by the door on a 777 and I actually had myself wrapped in one of the duvets, something I've never done on a plane.
I had a similar experience on a UA 777. Maybe it's the type
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:59 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
bumping to get this wiki on the first page of travelbuzz...
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance
I must be the odd one out, I found TK to be very nice temp wise on board, I like heat.
I found CX to be the coldest ones I've ever been on, so cold that I actually had to use the blanket despite being fully dressed.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: Independent
havnt really done international airlines. Domestically, I like it cooler rather than warmer. More important for me is moving air though. I dread the idea of ever having to face a plane iwthout air vents.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:54 pm

JAL - HOT!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
A big plus for US airlines are cool cabins facilitated by air vents.

The two Air France A380 flights I took were warm, but I wasn't sweating.

I loathe the temps on JL, but enjoy all other parts of the flight (and while their 777s don't have air vents, the 787s do).

KL and OZ transpac were the worst for heat.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I find UA to keep its cabins far too cold. I always have to wear several layers and my feet freeze.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
If the temperature is uncomfortable let a flight attendant know. On some airplanes they can adjust the temperature; if not, they'll let us know to cool it down or warm it up.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msm
Can anyone help me find a resource to compare default cabin temperature settings by airline?

I personally like a cold environment. I would sacrifice a couple inches of pitch for a few degrees of F. I have found that I sleep an awful lot better on Asiana than Eva and I think it may be due to Asiana keeping their cabins cooler.

Between the major Asian carriers, do we know who keeps their cabin's coolest?

Thanks!
it was really cold with flight from auckland to papeete with air new zealend because only a few passanger in economy class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.