Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How many frequent fliers drive past small airports to use larger ones?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many frequent fliers drive past small airports to use larger ones?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I live in San Diego. I flew 130k miles last year. Of all those flights I departed from SAN exactly ONE time. Most of my departures are from LAX because that's where the only viable international gateway to/from Southern California is. So I am driving my car past both SAN and SNA to get to/from just about every flight to/from home.
Don't forget LGB, which I can see from my bedroom window.
I get 1 flight per year from LGB (usually to SEA or PHX) and the majority from LAX.

As another poster mentioned, it's also the better options in IRROPS that makes me use LAX.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
depends on the destination/routing, but I frequently will drive past SNA and LGB to get to LAX for a direct flight (generally, anything int'l, more than a mid-con, or if I can get there in 1 flight (LAX-ABQ vs SNA-DFW-ABQ).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly LAX for transcons because there are a bunch of daily LAX-IAD flights, and if I flew out of BUR I'd have to change planes at SFO, and arrive later.

For regional flights, it's hard to beat BUR. I can make it from home to the bay area via BUR in about the same time it takes me to drive from home to LAX during commute hours.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
So it looks like few people, if anyone, pick an airport based on frequent flyer benefits (elite check-in lanes, lounges, etc.)?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
So it looks like few people, if anyone, pick an airport based on frequent flyer benefits (elite check-in lanes, lounges, etc.)?
A few other people and I mentioned we consider the time of getting through checkin/security and comfort of waiting areas. Those factors are influenced by whether elite lines exist and how useful they are, and whether lounges are available and how good they are.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:45 pm

I drive by HPN to get to LGA and JFK.

Unless I want to fly to Chicago
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:05 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Mainly, choice of airport is based on the availability of non-stop (or fewest stop) flights at each airport. An extra stop adds at least a few hours, plus the risk of missing a connection (in the usual case of needing to change planes), which can result in a much longer delay.

When availability of non-stop or fewest stop flights is equal between the airports, the smaller airports around here are preferable because they tend to have fewer weather delays. But there are some destinations where the flights from the smaller airports require more stops, so the bigger airport is preferable for those destinations.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used to when I lived in Westchester, HPN was almost walking distance from my house but I used it twice in 20 years. LGA and JFK and even EWR were far better.

Last weekend I went to Lincoln, NE for a concert and flying to LNK was extremely expense so I just used OMA and drove.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by Flinders
There are pros and cons of smaller airports, but for me it is the IRROPS issue that makes me prefer the larger airport (that I'd likely be connecting through anyways). When things go wrong, the RJs to small outstations are the first flights to get cancelled. From the airlines' point of view, this inconveniences the fewest pax possible. My preference is to be one of the people who is not inconvenienced.
I live very close to (minutes from) CMI, but more and more often I'm driving 3 hours to STL or 2 hours to IND for nonstop flights to my destinations (this wouldn't work for everyone, but it works for me). These are easy drives. Flying out of CMI, I have to allow so much connecting time in both directions that I don't save much if any time overall versus driving to STL/IND. Also, IRROPS (as noted by Flinders) favors the nonstops. Finally, costs are invariably higher out of CMI, sometimes greatly so.

It's a tough call.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: LH HON
My girlfriend used to live in Cologne, Germany. While you have the option to fly out from Cologne (no international longhaul), Duesseldorf (some international longhaul) I have always chosen Frankfurt because of its superior availability of routes and airlines. But since high-speed trains are common in Germany you can reach Frankfurt in less than an hour.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:47 am

I don't live in the Bay Area anymore, but still have family there. Oakland used to be an airport. Since it no longer is*, I'll drive right past and head to San Francisco or San Jose (SJC). I've even been spotted in Sacramento.

* For those of us who avoid Southwest
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:16 am

Last edited by brendog; Dec 6, 2015 at 1:57 pm
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brendog
When I lived in NY, I was roughly 10 miles from HPN, but flew out of it only once. The insanely expensive parking, combined with the lack of public transportation and the holding pen for departing pax made it an unattractive choice. I generally flew out of EWR, with an occasional jaunt to LGA, as I could get to either on public transportation within 90 minutes.
The parking was absurdly priced, plus if the garage was full you were screwed. I last used HPN in 2011 and didn't realize on Saturday night the coffee shop was closed and the restaurant was extremely expensive. I ended up eating some horrible packaged sandwich. And yeah, good point about the holding pen too. The airport really hasn't changed much in the last two decades though the planes being flown by the legacy carriers have gotten smaller which makes it less attractive now than it was in the 90's.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I live in San Diego. I flew 130k miles last year. Of all those flights I departed from SAN exactly ONE time. Most of my departures are from LAX because that's where the only viable international gateway to/from Southern California is. So I am driving my car past both SAN and SNA to get to/from just about every flight to/from home.
Me too. You forgot LGB. You drive past that one also.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
How many of us drive past our hometown (or other nearby) airports to use larger ones that are more business traveler-friendly?
Probably near zero. I'm sure plenty of us skip nearby airports to fly out of larger ones farther away but NOT for the reason of being "business traveler friendly" in the way you define it.

For example, how many people could use ABE but use PHL or could use GSP but use ATL or CLT instead for reasons such as lounges, better-trained staff, frequent-traveler security lanes and first-class check-in lines at the larger airport?
None. No one makes their airport decision based on these criteria.

Why do you think airline staff are better trained at hubs than spokes, by the way? In my experience, the worst, surliest, least helpful airline employees are found at large hubs. Also, small airports can still have bad security lines.

I might substitute one airport for another based on equipment (i.e. I will fly to JAX instead of SAV due to mainline vs. RJ or LEX instead of CVG if the RJ has first class) but can't imagine airport amenities ever swaying a decision. It's all about schedule convenience, cost, and inflight comfort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.