Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Two Simple Questions: Top ‘Bucket List’ Location? & Favorite Place on Earth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Simple Questions: Top ‘Bucket List’ Location? & Favorite Place on Earth?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm still working on Australia - maybe 2016. Antarctica and space would also rate.

Amalfi Coast/Capri is my favorite so far.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: *Gold
1. Iran
2. The Azores (New Zealand is a close second)
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:31 pm

Last edited by brendog; Nov 11, 2015 at 7:52 pm
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
1. Maldives
2. Home
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:36 pm

1) My bucket list is long but the current top spots go to East Africa, Namibia and Botswana, and Bhutan.
I have so many favorites, it is hard to pick. There are only a few places I've traveled that I thought were just ok, or bad. I do tend to prefer warm climates and being near the water. I've traveled more to SE Asia than anywhere else and love the food and culture there-I will continue to return. I love Istanbul and Marrakesh for the architecture and culture. Capri is magical.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:29 am

1) Too many places! I'll say Japan for right now.
2) Spain. Just, in general, Spain.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by freezefactor
So many places -- one of my interests for "bucket lists" are random geographical oddities like:
- that little enclave of India that is surrounded by Bangladesh that is surrounded by India that is surrounded by Bangladesh
- the island within a lake within an island within a lake that is on the island of Newfoundland
- circumambulate Mt. Kailash
Wow, simple questions with tough answers. I wanted to single out this post cuz it made me laugh, so many people had places I wanna go, I saw Australia come up a lot, it's on my list but not high, I think it's just that it's English speaking and maybe that doesn't appeal to me as much. Almost everyone I know though who went to Australia ends up staying far longer than planned. I think it's probably an easy place to fall in love with but also the fact they let Canadians work make it more of a reality.

I had no idea about this India enclave! That's so interesting, I'm a little bit of a geography nerd though so I'm not surprised. I dunno, but if Google Maps is accurate, I think there's more than 1, but even if there isn't it looks like India was once a much bigger country then when Bangladesh split, they just asked people what country they wanted to be part of, because the areas I was looking at are all farmland, and not necessarily particularly specific farmland.

I looked for that island thing, since I work with like 75% newfies, couldn't find it. Whatchu talkin about? I think St. Pierre/Miquelon is interesting enough but I'd like to check out what you're talkin about.

Never even heard the word circumambulate. Thought it was a typo lol.

For my bucket list, there's so many, I probably don't even have a list, I just kinda dream/plan to go anywhere. Since I don't travel for work like many here do I haven't been that many places, but I'm young so hopefully I can get some of these done, I have already crossed off a couple in recent times so that's a good start.

1. Working on seeing my Vancouver Canucks in every NHL arena league wide. Progress so far 20/30.
2. Moscow, and more of Russia, I'd love to try the Trans Siberian Railway, but I'm not sure I'd ever really be able to carve out enough time to do it. Also Minsk.
3. Go to all continents (though Antartica doesn't REALLY interest me that much, so I'll say the other 6)
4. North Korea. Specifically I think Tumangang would be cool as it's the junction for China/Russia/North Korea, 3 of what I would consider the most...fortified countries. I just think it would be a really cool tense area.
5. Tokyo again, I just recently got back from Seoul and had quick stopovers in Tokyo, it was very cool and I can't wait to go back.
6. London, this should be easy to cross off, but it always seems just a little cost prohibitive to me.

I pretty much want to go to anywhere my circle of friends either hasn't/wouldn't/can't or doesn't want to go to. I've never been to Vegas or Cancun, I'm sure I will at some point cuz there'll be a wedding or bachelor party or whatever, while those can be fun, I want different experiences than other people I know.

As far as my favorite place. I'd have to say Medellin, Colombia. I'm so comfortable there now, bought an apartment, love the people, the weather is perfect all the time, it's not overrun with tourists. It's a little dirty, but I kinda like that grime, it's real, they don't "put on their face" for show. You get there and it's what it seems. My biggest issues would be crime, I've never seen much personally, but it's there and maybe just the huge wealth gap. It's probably not that far off from Canada or the US, but it just seems the middle class in Colombia is a lot closer to broke than they are to ok, which at least in Canada it appears to be the opposite.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
1. Bucket list: PEK nonstop from YYC. Home airport is YYC and PEK is around I have been hoping for a long time. Also haven't been to PEK and China fascinates me.

Alternately doing a mileage run with my daughter to Europe. She is much too young right now but in a few years I hoe she catches the travel bug and we go off to Europe together before she is too old to want to go on backpackers tour.

2: Favourite place: any airplane or airport where I a. Beside my four year old daughter showing places where daddy has been. The family flying off to another adventure vacation.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
1. Bhutan. But going later this year.

2. Can't just name one. Paris. Venice. Marrakech. The Amalfi Coast. And a window seat in Emirates Business.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:42 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Simple.

1.) Grand Wailea, Maui. I want to die there.

2.) Australia. I have been all over the world, but never to Australia. I have to go there before I go to the Grand Wailea to die.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
1) On top of Everest
2) El Nido, Philippines

Chris
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 am

1. I haven't visited Hong Kong yet.

2. Iguazu Falls are absolutely stunning - short Youtube vid
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Bucket - one of those South Pacific Island hotels where your room is right on the beach (or over the water) and they pamper you to death. Doesn't matter which one.

Favorite - Kyoto. I'm trying to figure out how to spend several months there to just absorb the place.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze
1. Tibet.

2. Iceland (though Burma and Kyoto closely follow)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Algeria
Good luck with that... I had a terrible time getting a visa, though perhaps a tourist visa would be easier. (I eventually got it with extra $$)

My bucket list places are Greenland and Mongolia

My favorite place in the world is Paris in the winter. You couldn't pay me enough to go there in the summer, but I love it in the winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.