Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do pax hate surgical masks so much?

Why do pax hate surgical masks so much?

Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jubberly
Many here commenting that Asian's wearing a surgical mask is a "cultural thing". That's a "cultural thing" I admire.I'm astonished that anyone would be offended by worrying that the wearer might be sick because they wear a mask.Would it be preferable if a sick person not wear a mask and spread their germs?

C'mon...quit the whinging.Oh,sorry...must be a "cultural thing".
People can comment on and appreciate cultural differences without resorting to whining. Unfortunately, there a few who insist on whinging because they readily misinterpret discourse.

What really galls me is not the sensitive use of surgical masks to stop the spread of one's own germs, it is those who think they are protected against germs when they do not have properly-fitted N95 masks.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EricH
I think the OP is overestimating the benefit he gets from wearing the mask and the disapproval he imagines he gets from others.
Indeed.

I suspect this is another case of post and run to wind everyone up.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
Cultural. For many in the US walking around with a mask on is seen as anti-social and rude.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Does that fit with Arab clothing where women cover up their faces as well?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Do you also drive in the right hand lane 10 miles per hour with your horn honking and emergency flashers on all the time?

Same thing.
So are you referring to the mask blaring out attracting people?

I can see that driving behavior you mentioned can cause accidents, so I cannot compare that with a face mask directly.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by satman40
The Lone Ranger wore a mask....
I feel more like Cobra Commander. I promise I am not part of an evil enterprise however.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
It's not ignorance, it's a different comfort level. I am not comfortable being around people in surgical masks -- as has been said, it's a cultural difference, but not cultural ignorance. To me, it separates one from the surrounding people and makes it difficult to communicate with them. (Yes, I also find it difficult to communicate with surgeons wearing masks.) I don't like being around people who try to distance and separate themselves from me - other people brought up in other cultures may feel differently.

Knowing the OP wears them to avoid catching a virus, rather than to avoid spreading one, makes me even more uncomfortable.
Yes, it's difficult to communicate so I have to speak up with a louder voice. I had a one hour conversation in NRT 15 hours ago with an Australian living in America and I kept the Mask on. So the mask isn't inhibiting good conversation.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Knowing the OP wears them to avoid catching a virus, rather than to avoid spreading one, makes me even more uncomfortable.
It is hard for me to understand the logic. On my Singapore Air leg I just got off of, the guy beside me was coughing and hacking the whole flight. One time he sneezed right on me as he turned his head to the right. Yes, it sucked for me, but I know if he was contagious with a respiratory virus I would catch it for sure without the mask.

So please help me understand why would you think your original logic?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Cultural perceptions. As I understand it in Asia masks are worn by people who are or feel they may be getting sick as a courtesy to other people.

In North America, wearing a mask is done to prevent the wearer from getting sick and is regarded as a judgemental statement on everyone around you.

I don't care if you wear a mask. Just don't try and force me to wear one if I have the sniffles.
Exactly, I could not force you to wear one. I saw a thread earlier about someone who had an illness and was asking if they should fly or not knowing they are not well.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CBear
I always thought wearing a mask will prevent you from spreading your germs, but won't prevent you from catching someone else germs.

1. I hate surgical masks. The few times I've had to wear them I couldn't wait to get out of it.
2. It gives off the perception that you are sick. When people think you are contagious, the natural thing to do is to avoid you.
I believe most masks are used to prevent others from getting sick. For example, in the surgery room, the staff is usually wearing the masks, and not the patient.

The Curad masks I'm using are kind of the de facto looking masks, and not the 3M N95 masks that make you look like you are about to do a paint job on the house.

It's interesting to me that the thread has mentioned people think the person wearing the mask is actually sick.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Perhaps there's a market for surgical masks that say, "I'm not sick - just trying to stay that way" with a smiling cartoon character?
It's a great idea. They have masks like this in Japan, even for kids. I didn't see any adult ones with anything on them however.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jesperss
This is an interesting thread.

Next time I fly Southwest I'm going to wear a mask. That'll be sure to keep the seat next to me empty ^
After traveling for so many years and having encountered some really really bad passenger experiences beside me, it's nice to have peace and quiet.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EricH
I think the OP is overestimating the benefit he gets from wearing the mask and the disapproval he imagines he gets from others.
I can definitely say I am not overestimating the benefit from these specific masks because of their design and proven effectiveness of many flu strains such as h1n1 and etc. I am referring back to my original comments that I have not caught a virus since I started wearing these masks last year opposed to every single time during the cold months having caught a virus after a trip.

I'm not sure if it's imagination as I mentioned also that two older men definitely were not happy with me on domestic flights, as well as the FA. If I was concerned about approval, I wouldn't be wearing the mask. I am just trying to understand the mentality, and I think most of the thread mentioning they think the mask wearer is sick hits it on the head.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Because you can't breathe fresh air when you have a restrictive mask on.
So HUGE caveat of wearing a mask. If the person near you lets out a fart, the smell will temporarily get stuck in the mask. It's very unpleasant. You definitely have to do a quick refresh.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Indeed.

I suspect this is another case of post and run to wind everyone up.
I'm not sure what that means. I did post and soon after start my travel back to the US. I'm at LAX right now waiting for another flight.

I appreciate everyone's input. It has been a good cultural learning for me.

Two things were consistent in the feedback. One is that people think the wearer is sick. I can see that.

The second that popped up a couple of times was that people think that the wearer thinks they are unclean. That is surprising to me people would be worried about the latter.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

I found this through google. I don't know why the Curad web site isn't working, but this is a marketing material which looks like its from Curad by the reseller

CURAD® Antiviral Face Mask inactivates H1N1, this year’s dominant flu strain

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

MUNDELEIN, Ill., Jan 21, 2014 — Each flu season, common practice for fighting the flu includes the flu shot and proper hand hygiene. Yet, statistics show, it’s not enough. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), this year’s flu outbreak is now an epidemic and almost twice as many people between the ages of 18 and 64 are being hospitalized with flu-related symptoms this year compared tolast year – 61 percent versus 34 percent. And, it’s hitting a younger, healthier age group than in previous years.

Fortunately, there’s a new way to protect against flu viruses – the CURAD® Antiviral Face Mask. It’s the only face mask that actually inactivates flu viruses on five minutes contact, helping protect the wearer against flu viruses.

The CURAD Antiviral Face Mask is the first-ever antiviral medical face mask indicated to inactivate 99.99 percent of laboratory-tested flu viruses, including imminent pandemic and seasonal strains of influenza (flu) viruses, such as H1N1, this year’s dominant flu strain in the United States, Avian flu, Swine flu and H3N2. Traditional face masks act only as a simple barrier or filter and do nothing to neutralize the harmful germs that remain active on the mask itself.

“Now, more than ever, people need to break their cold and flu routine and be even more vigilant against flu viruses. The CURAD Antiviral Face Mask is an easy, accessible and direct way to break the cycle and help stop the spread of germs,” said Martie Moore, R.N., MAOM, CPHQ, chief nursing officer for Medline. “Taking care of a sick child or the elderly, hopping in an airplane or feeling vulnerable in public places, are all examples of when wearing the CURAD Antiviral Face Mask can help protect you against the flu viruses you’re bound to come in contact with.”

One of the main benefits of the CURAD Antiviral Face Mask is that it can provide protection from cross-contamination. With conventional masks, the outer facing of the mask is frequently touched by the user, who then touches other things or people passing on the flu germs. Since the CURAD Antiviral Face Mask inactivates 99.99 percent of the tested flu viruses on five minutes contact, the risk of spreading the flu virus is greatly reduced.

The CURAD Antiviral Face Mask works by incorporating proprietary technology that uses a combination of three natural and safe ingredients — citric acid, zinc and copper. The outer white active layer absorbs infectious droplets and locks them inside, where they are inactivated by exposure to citric acid. The inner blue active layer contains copper and zinc ions that are toxic to pathogens. While simple, the innovative face mask can help protect against flu viruses and has been recognized as a major breakthrough in flu protection, winning the 2012 Chicago Innovation Awards.

So who should wear it and when?

The CDC recommends that doctors and hospitals provide their flu patients with face masks to help reduce influenza transmission, especially at-risk groups such as children, the elderly, pregnant women and people with compromised immunities. Family members of children with flu-like illnesses who used masks properly were 80 percent less likely to be diagnosed with the illness according to an article published in the International Journal of Infectious Disease.

“The CURAD Antiviral Face Mask should be one of the most important items in any home’s medicine cabinet or traveling first aid kit right alongside hand antiseptics, adhesive bandages, alcohol pads, tape and exam gloves,” said Moore.

The CURAD Antiviral Face Mask is available at most major retail and pharmacy chains throughout the country, including Walgreens, CVS, H.E.B., Target and Meijer. Find it in the first aid section.

To learn more about the Curad Antiviral Face Mask and other cold and flu tips, visit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.