Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does this deal seem legit -- or where can one get the lowest fare for Int'l. travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does this deal seem legit -- or where can one get the lowest fare for Int'l. travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:14 pm

Does this deal seem legit?

If you have to ask others if something is legit, I think you might have your answer before you even post something.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you look online, you will see that random dates in February yield a typical low price of $1,300-1,400 for BOS-TYO RT.

If you want to buy a bulk ticket from a ticket broker and understand all of the risks, e.g., absolutely no changes whatsoever, that's fine. But, find a broker in BOS who comes personally recommended by friends and co-workers and has a real physical office address.

Others have pointed out the risks, not the least of which is having your ticket cancelled while you are in Japan and having to buy a new one at through-the-roof prices.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:52 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

I combined the OP's separate thread (now post 8) into this thread, as it is really an extension of the same topic earlier discussed in the original thread. /Moderator.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
"Google Flights" is a free search service, see what they find. If you want to purchase a ticket, they can "seamlessly" send you to the airlines site, where you can purchase the ticket.
Sometimes getting email addresses is the main goal of some sites--possibly the one you found.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Motti15
Well, do you have a solution as to getting a lower ticket price for airfare internationally? Rather than just criticize, how about give a solution as to something that could help?
Fly low season. Stay over weekends. Be flexible on your travel dates.

I fly internationally (TPAC) half a dozen times a year. Ticket prices are just fine.

Or you can buy on Craigslist:

http://consumerist.com/2008/04/14/be...on-craigslist/

The way it works, you send the guy money, he sends you the tickets, you take the flight. Turns out the ticket was purchased with a stolen credit card. The card owner disputed the charges. The guy has your money plus the airline is coming after you for the price of the ticket. You pay twice.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
If you want to buy a bulk ticket from a ticket broker and understand all of the risks, e.g., absolutely no changes whatsoever, that's fine. But, find a broker in BOS who comes personally recommended by friends and co-workers and has a real physical office address.
That's just about what I was going to say. If you can't find personal referrals, check out the Sunday travel section of the newspaper. That's where the local bricks-and-mortar travel agents that sell discount consolidator tickets will advertise with tiny display ads. Call them and find out where there office is. Go to the office and pay in person and pick up your ticket at the same time so you know you're dealing with a business that isn't a total scam run out of someone's anonymous email address and burner cellphone. Ask the adjacent businesses how long the travel agency has been there. If it's been more than a year, it's much less likely to be a total scam as a bricks-and-mortar scam would likely have been shut down by then. Also, comparison shop on the phone between several of these such businesses. You will probably hone in on what the going consolidator price for BOS-NRT is. Be wary if you find only one vendor that has a much lower price. Consider using a credit card to make the purchase, so you have protection from the bank if it ends up being a total fraud. Many consolidators operate on a "cash only" basis, but others will accept credit cards if you pay the surcharge (er, if you forgo the cash discount). In this case, that might be a proxy for cheap insurance. Also, if a business is unable to open and keep a credit card merchant account, that says something right there. Also, you may want to adjust your frame of mind from "How do I get the cheapest ticket?" to "How do I get a reasonably cheap ticket on a deal I feel comfortable with?" You may end up paying a few dollars more than the absolute cheapest quote you can find, but personally I'd do that rather than being one of the sob stories we've heard too many times around here of someone with little money going for the absolute cheapest deal they can find, getting defrauded, and ending up being out their money with no recourse available. Keep in mind that the scamsters prey on the fact that some people so much want to believe that the cheapest deal is real.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Dude, buying a "ticket" from someone on Craigslist is a terrible idea. Among the things that are likely to happen 1) ticket is bought with stolen credit card and cancelled/you are arrested trying to board 2) ticket is bought with stolen frequent flier miles and is cancelled/you are arrested 3) ticket is bought with frequent flier miles against program rules and the ticket is cancelled, maybe with you 12,000 miles from home 4) you are told you have a ticket but none is even ever bought.

Don't do it.

Safe Travels,

Doc
This, and...

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If you say that someone is using stolen points, then that would obviously be an issue."

The points don't have to be stolen for you to be at risk. Airlines prohibit the sale of their frequent-flyer points/miles, but some participants sell them anyway to mileage brokers, who then sell award tickets to third parties. If the airline's Revenue Protection Unit suspects that the award ticket was sold, then you may find yourself out of luck when you try to board your outbound flight -- or even worse, when you try to board your flight home!

"How would someone know before they bought a ticket if someone was trying to use a fraud way of getting a ticket?"

They wouldn't; that's the problem.

Do not assume that a $1,000 roundtrip fare between BOS and TYO is a problem which has a solution. Not all problems have solutions.
...this.

As has been said many times, FT is not a travel agency. The best thing to do is to play around a little with with ITA Matrix, Kayak, Google Flights, etc etc etc.

I think that you've realised that things a that appear to be to good to be true, well, are just that. The likelihood that some online travel agent has found you a price that is significantly below everyone else's price should set off your BS-alarm.

One additional point to add is that these buddy fares are usually a nightmare to use, as they are for standby seats, not confirmed. If you do a little searching around here, you'll find the story of a guy who came here for help after his airline buddy passes, which he had - presumably - bought from an airline employee, left him stuck in Italy during the height of the summer, with no standby seats to get him and his family back home. They spent far more money on hotels and a hashed-together itinerary to get home than they would have had they just bought tickets like everybody else. Sometimes the cheapest deal ends up costing you a bundle.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Motti15
The only thing throwing me off is the price. If you say that someone is using stolen points, then that would obviously be an issue. How would someone know before they bought a ticket if someone was trying to use a fraud way of getting a ticket?
If you were offered a $50 iMac or a $75 Hasselblad, that wouldn't "seem legit" just because you know those products exist and the seller knows how to send email. Would it?

I still want to know the basis of the OP's initial "seems legit" belief.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The only certainty about the offer in the OP is that you aren't leaving Boston. Your best possible outcome is that you simply lose the $600 and manage to convince police during questioning at the airport that you were an innocent victim of a scam.

We do these threads once a week. Is there anything about these Craigslist interactions that leads you to believe they are *not* scams? The one last week was "let's meet and you give me cash". Seriously: if you hadn't figured it out before then, the moment cash payment is mentioned should be a pretty good clue... @:-)

BOS-NRT R/T for $1,000 isn't a great fare, but it isn't a bad one either. Just buy the legit fare, directly from the airline, and be done with it.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Just go for it but use Amex card. They have best buyer protection. They put onus on seller to prove they are legit when you dispute.

Only go through with transaction if you are fine being without that amount of money for a couple of months.

Its probably a scam, but there are protection methods set up, so go for it if you want.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pstravels
Just go for it but use Amex card. They have best buyer protection. They put onus on seller to prove they are legit when you dispute.

Only go through with transaction if you are fine being without that amount of money for a couple of months.

Its probably a scam, but there are protection methods set up, so go for it if you want.
Why set yourself up for the inevitable hassle at the airport when this proves to be a scam? How are you then going to NRT? Is Amex going to step in and convince the police/airline that all is OK because there is buyer protection?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yes, I'm sure the Craigslist guy in the dark alley with your airline ticket totally takes Amex.

Good plan.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI

Stupendously poor advice, as if you are buying stolen property Amex is no protection.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
I would buy via PAYPAL using Amex. I assume thats how you planned to pay.

DO not send a MO or MG or anything. Only way to pay and protect yourself is this.

And he would know if he got scammed right away not when he checks in. He can call and confirm ticket validity and all that.

Dont hype this up as bad advice. Buyer protection covers physical goods!! So make sure they aren't e tickets.

Paypal has a dispute center, but having amex as a backup, and being able to do chargeback guarantees you will be good to go.

If you use a visa or mastercard, chances are it might not turn out as well compared to amex.

Gluck.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:22 pm

I would buy via PAYPAL using Amex. I assume thats how you planned to pay.
I don't know about your country, but in the UK that would be among the worst advice ever.

1) Paypal protection does not cover flight tickets.
2) You are using AMEX to buy a money transfer service (Paypal). That service has been provided successfully so no claim against the card company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.